It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Post by Zarathustra »

Anyone watch? I've been catching up recently on Monday nights with reruns on Comedy Central. A new season is starting this week (I think Thursday, 16th), on FX.

It's basically a show of five worthless, clueless assholes who own their own bar, but somehow it's hilarious nonetheless. Danny Devito joined the cast after the first season or two, bringing a familiar face. Otherwise, everyone else is pretty much unknown (though you may have seen Mac on season 3 and 6 of Lost). It started as a pilot written by two of the actors and shot for less than $200. FX picked it up as a series based on this cheap pilot from unknown actors/writers, and they're now into season 6.

Wikipedia got it right:
The series follows The Gang, a group of five depraved underachievers who run Paddy's Pub, a run-down bar in South Philadelphia. They are dishonest, egotistical, greedy, unethical, lazy, arrogant, and antagonistic, and are often embroiled in controversial issues. Episodes usually find them hatching elaborate schemes, conspiring against one another or others for personal gain or the pleasure of watching their downfall. Their tactics often rely on inflicting emotional and sometimes physical pain on individuals both deserving and undeserving. They regularly use blackmail and manipulate one another and others outside of the group. Their unity is never solid; any of them would quickly dump the others for quick profit or personal gain regardless of the consequences. Almost everything they do results in competition between them.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I watched it for a while but lost interest. Initially, I really enjoyed the humor of it because it was so different. After a while, though, it got to the point where I could see the jokes coming. I also stopped smoking up about the same time. ;)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Yeah, the characters really are a bunch of egotistical, self-centered a-holes. That's part of the shows charm ;)

Even though some of the stuff is predictable, I still get a laugh out of the show. I Can't wait for the new season.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

People used to keep recommending this to me and I watched an episode or two and it just seemed like a bunch of dicks shouting at each other for half an hour.

Then for some reason on about the 3rd or 4th try it clicked and it turned into one of my favourite comedy shows ever. This latest season started off a bit patchy and over-the-top (in a bad way, rather than the "imagine the worst person you know, times a thousand, and then there's five of them" thing that makes it so enjoyable). But around the Halloween episode I think it got back on track, last week's king of the rats one was incredible I thought.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Playing catchup with this season. I saw the first three episodes and thought they were great. I love how Dennis gets married and divorced as thoughtlessly as a normal person buying some crap at Wal*Mart. Guess he learned his lesson...back to the D.E.N.N.I.S System for him! :)
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I don't have cable anymore, but when I did I watched this show every Thursday night. I became so obsessed with it, it's all I would talk about. Seriously. I guess it got so bad my husband forbade me from ever speaking of it again.

Fortunately, I found it on Netflix the other day. Now it's in my queue. ;)
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “TV Shows”