World of Warcraft

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Now is a great time to start, they've just made huge improvements to the low level parts of the game. It is much better for new players now than it was before.

There are a load of Watch members playing together, but on a US server not EU. I bought a US account myself to play with folks I knew from here. The time zones can be problematic, though (I regularly raid until 3-4am GMT).
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Murrin wrote:Now is a great time to start, they've just made huge improvements to the low level parts of the game. It is much better for new players now than it was before.

There are a load of Watch members playing together, but on a US server not EU. I bought a US account myself to play with folks I knew from here. The time zones can be problematic, though (I regularly raid until 3-4am GMT).
Thanks Murrin for the advice , I would when started like to play with the guys and gallsfrom here but 3 - 4am in morning would be a push lol How much a time a day do you spend playing or in other words what would be the minimum of hours I would I need to spend on the game to make it worthwhile :?:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

It really depends what you prefer, and what you want to do with the game.

I spend more time playing than I probably should, but right now I could easily play just a few hours one or two days a week for raiding and be happy with it. Levelling can be more time consuming if you want to level up quick, but it's not something you have to rush.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

25. Ok, seriously. You could get by with 1 or 2, especially to start off. You don't have to raid and can have quite a bit of fun soloing quests or going with a small group, tackling little pieces at a time. Really, you can put as little or as much time into it as you want.

That being said, the game does have a way of eating up all your spare time if you let it (or more than spare time, for some).

Myself, I can't play right now because I do not have time at all for it. In fact, I wish I had extra time in my day to get all the things done that I need to. Can't wait for this semester to be over.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

yeah we miss you round the game sheriff.

i have to say that the elemental invasion wasn't nearly as fun
as killing scourge when they invaded.

but the changes to the world and the game are pretty cool thus
far. i like hanging out in the dwarven district now with the new bank
and AH and a local watering hole all right there within steps of each
other and a lovely view of olivia's pond...just waaaaaY cooler than the old bank in the trade district.

so yeah cleburne, it really depends on how you get into the game.
its like trying on coats, you sort of have to see what you look like
in em to know which one to get right? you sort of have to play and
figure out what you like to do, then you'll be able to decide how much
time you have or have not for it.

some people ONLY raid and raid with guilds that have set raiding schedules so they know exactly what days they're going to play
and the time frames.
others (like me) hang out on vent and in the game daily and do
whatever. i play the game to hang out with my friends.
if my friends didn't play, i prolly wouldn't either....well...prolly
i'd make new friends. LOL :lol:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

So I ended up buying OSX 10.6, I guess my subconscious is serious about wanting to play this. Gonna reactivate the account tonight I think D:

Still trying to convince my friends who used to play to sign back up though :(
Kelleta
Servant of the Land

Post by Kelleta »

You could get someone to do a scroll of resurrection on your account would give you several free play days and whoever resurrects gets free time too if you pay the next month.

Oh and to Cleburne if you have a email address on of us could give you a trial of the game to try 7-10 days free ( and hint if we do and they get addicted we get rocket! yay)

Legacy advanced heroic, raiders etc those who love a good dungeon read this for cata!

www.mmo-champion.com/threads/795945-Wha ... ck-at-Cata
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

ohhh nooooooo
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Darkshore is awesome! I wasn't convinced by Darnassus, as the quests all seemed the same, but the new chains in Darkshore rock! I love how violent everything is now. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Kelleta wrote: Oh and to Cleburne if you have a email address on of us could give you a trial of the game to try 7-10 days free ( and hint if we do and they get addicted we get rocket! yay)
Thanks Kelleta ill pm you it , and thanks to Lucimay also for your words of advice ;) , I look at it yesterday in Game and it is about £20 to buy with extras just have to check my computer to see if it will support it and I can buy game cards in same shop which is handy , just waiting for my clients to pay and Ill hopefully give it a go . ill keep you all posted :biggrin:
A lie well told and told often enough,I'm damned if the truth will ever catch up with it!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

If you get a trial key from someone here it'd likely be a US trial, bear that in mind.

The clients for US and EU are mostly identical, but game accounts are not.
Kelleta
Servant of the Land

Post by Kelleta »

Is it going to make a difference if I send it kysen? You are playing the us version correct?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, I bought a US copy of the game online and created a US account.

All the stuff he can buy in a store over here is EU version (and what you're paying for is an EU account key, rather than the client which can be downloaded for free). Even though you can mod a file to allow it to connect to the US servers, there are inconveniences like not being able to play when a patch comes out until it comes on EU servers.

And he might want an EU account anyway to play with people in his timezone.
Kelleta
Servant of the Land

Post by Kelleta »

You get to play when a patch comes out on US servers right? I mean you don't have to wait until it's actually released in EU do you? I know many ppl who play from EU usually got with US for that reason if I recall. I will send the key and he can decide to accept or not I was assuming he would be joining the scryers with you folks :P
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

If you have the EU game client, it is incompatible with US client patches, so no. You have to by the US version of the game.
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Kelleta wrote:You get to play when a patch comes out on US servers right? I mean you don't have to wait until it's actually released in EU do you? I know many ppl who play from EU usually got with US for that reason if I recall. I will send the key and he can decide to accept or not I was assuming he would be joining the scryers with you folks :P
Thanks for the link Kelleta ill give it a go today I dont know anyone playing it here but will look into what Murrin said about getting the US version , id sooner give it a go with ye guys and galls whom could give me a few tips . LEt me see how i get on with Kelleta 10 day trail ;)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Blizz have launched their new game guide for beginners on the community site, and as a basic introduction it's actually pretty good.

us.battle.net/wow/en/game/

Edit: And the official game guides link to the Wowhead talent calculators, heh. Why'd they bother adding their own to the armory only to not use it?
Cleburne
Bloodguard

Post by Cleburne »

Murrin wrote:Blizz have launched their new game guide for beginners on the community site, and as a basic introduction it's actually pretty good.

us.battle.net/wow/en/game/

Edit: And the official game guides link to the Wowhead talent calculators, heh. Why'd they bother adding their own to the armory only to not use it?
Good link Murrin , havent got in yet might have to upgrade my java , but on a side note it took forever to download started at 1pm yesterday and it finished at 10am this morning had to leave it on all night and now it doesnt work ill try again tomorrow time for a few beers and relax from the computer . now ;)
Kelleta
Servant of the Land

Post by Kelleta »

Kysen did you mention something about changing a file if you use the US version?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The game client has a config file somewhere that tells it which log in servers to connect to. If you want to use a client from one region to play an account from another, you have to change that.

But if you're downloading the game it's just as easy to get the version local to the account you're using, just make sure the annoying site doesn't keep redirecting you to the EU website because of your IP address.

Return to “PC & Console Games”