The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

.....Which stole mercilessly from Ferngully.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Cambo wrote:Z, I haven't read much of this thread, but seems to me your issue with Avatar is you didn't like being preached to on environmental matters (movie quality, or lack thereof, aside)?
I don't want to reopen old wounds or perpetuate this debate in this forum, but I have to say that's not my position. I'll post my response in the Tank, where I started a thread just for this sort of thing. See you there.
Cambo wrote:One thing I did like, though, was how the panentheistic deity of the Na'vi was shown to be actually real, ie the entire world was a sentient organism. Been done before, of course, but I thought the execution was cool, those vine thingies being neural pathways and all that.
I liked that, too.
Cail wrote:It's a beautiful film that actually translates pretty well from IMAX 3-D to home theater. The picture and sound are freaking amazing.
I really enjoyed seeing it (in contrast to watching it) on Blu-ray. I thought it looked better than the 3-D theater experience. At least it was clearer. Brighter.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cail wrote:.....Which stole mercilessly from Ferngully.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
I don't care who they stole the script from. Ideas are cheap; execution is everything.

Dances with Wolves was a great movie.
Last Samurai was pretty good.
Even Fern Gully was mildly entertaining, despite being so preachy and banal.

Avatar, like 2012, would make a great screen saver if you turned the sound off. Overly hyped special effects, with terrible dialog, plot and character development.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

The music and sound effects were pretty cool. Maybe there could be a way to edit only the dialogue from the film, make it like watching a high-tech silent movie.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Return to “Flicks”