first 200 pages

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

alanm
Ramen

first 200 pages

Post by alanm »

what is going on?

this is the worst book of the 3rd series so far. How many more pages of utter rubbish do I have to read before the end?

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Hang in there. Surely you have read enough SRD to trust him. There will be some incredible moments coming.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
slm
Servant of the Land

Post by slm »

Savor Dam wrote:Hang in there. Surely you have read enough SRD to trust him. There will be some incredible moments coming.
Agreed. This book tried my patience, but after all was said and done, I enjoyed having read it.
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

my personal view is that SD has lost the plot. He has tried to create a sequel with

1 - trying to continue where he left of after WGW, I believe he has shown he has failed.

2 - Taking his readers for a ride and conning us out of money, in which he has to some extent succedded.

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's f*cking horrible. All three books in these Last Chronicles have been f*cking horrible. I simply can't believe that this is the same guy that wrote TPtP and all of the Gap books.

The First and Second Chronicles are magic. They're chock full o' interesting characters that the reader cares about. There's action. There's introspection. There's always something going on.

In the LC, all we get is Linden, who is arguably the most irritating character in any fantasy series (including Xanth).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

alanm wrote:my personal view is that SD has lost the plot. He has tried to create a sequel with

1 - trying to continue where he left of after WGW, I believe he has shown he has failed.

2 - Taking his readers for a ride and conning us out of money, in which he has to some extent succedded.
The basic premise of this continuing story seems consistent and sensible. In the first Chrons Covenant only reduced Foul. Kevin did basically the same thing a thousand years before with similar results: Foul came back. In the 2nd Chrons, Covenant reduced Foul again, although the latter did it to himself this time. Of course, Foul came back again. The only thing left to do, if this is truly the last Chrons, is eradicate Foul completely.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

alanm wrote:
my personal view is that SD has lost the plot.
What do you mean by this? What plot has SRD lost? This is, after all, HIS story. Assuredly, it is qualitatively different than the first two Chronicles. If you trusted him with those stories, what has changed for you in these last ones? How has he failed to continue from WGW?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

there seems to me to be no contunuity. the last 3 books in my opinion do not follow on the stroy line. there is just so much that is wrong with them.

Now to cap it all we have She Who Must Not Be Named in AATE. Sorry, When did Voldermorts wife appear in the Land of Thomas Covenant?

All the new characters in the latest books from the Harrow, the Insequent, the Ardent with his lovely flowing robes. It is all just utter nosense. I read the first 2 books of the last series just once, I will do the same with AATE just to say I have read it then it goes on the book shelf never to be read again. SRD has lost the plot?

ps just got to about 250 pages now. my opinion hasn't changed. The book is just a jumble on nothing. I believe you could take away at least 200 pages of SRDs ramblings which have no bearing on the supposed storyline.

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

What plot would you liked to have seen these Last Chronicles follow then?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

ok hows about this then.

At the end of WGW, Covenant defeats LF. Now we know from facts that the only power able to preserve LF is earthpower but that was only when the Staff of Law was destroyed. There is now a new Staff of Law, the Sunbane is gone. What power can LF use to restore himself? Infact, at the end of WGW he cast all of himself against TC until there was nothing left. LF was utterly defeated.

New plot for the new books.

Where is the power that LF used to cling too to restore himself. Where is this explained?
Last edited by alanm on Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

A fair point. It was distinctly discussed or explained in the Second Chrons that Foul supped at Earthpower in order to return to power. And even though I don't have the books in front of me, and may be wrong about this, I don't think Foul necessarily needed Earthpower to return. He is an immortal being, not of the Earth or the Land. My feeling is that he would have returned anyway.

Perhaps we'll get some information about this matter in TLD.
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

infact I asked the same question to SRD on his web site the answer was disappointing

Alan: Thank you for the response to my question.

So it now looks like we have 'real' and 'illusional' defeats of Foul.

So if the defeats of Foul are real and we know that the only power able to preseve him is earth power itself, then is Foul now an 'illusion'?

thanks

Alan

I�m embarrassed to admit that I don�t remember the response you mention. I can�t answer your question because I don�t recall the context of my previous remarks.

(03/23/2008)

Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

LF doesn't need earthpower at all.
And being defeated does not mean destroyed: one you can come back from, the other leaves no you to come back.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Jasprer
Servant of the Land

Post by Jasprer »

In order to destroy Lord Foul one must destroy Earthpower then...hence the haruchai tie in of "erradicating" Earthpower? Maybe they have it right? Far stretch I think. Ultimate sacrifice for Thomas C is destroying Earthpower leaving the Land free of Foul but "in the Dark" of Earthpower.

Does Foul use, want or need Earthpower...hmmmm

I never was really sure but interesting plot. I thought he only used Earthpower through other people/things. Not directly himself but in a way that I guess you can say he needed Earthpower. He himself didn't wield it but used others to wield it. Logic?
alanm
Ramen

Post by alanm »

Vraith wrote:LF doesn't need earthpower at all.
And being defeated does not mean destroyed: one you can come back from, the other leaves no you to come back.
yes he does. book 4 and when TC has his writs cut he discovers that earthpower was where LF was able to resurect himself. Unless you are now saying this is wrong?

And the reason he could do this was because the staff of law was destroyed.

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

It is true that the soothtell revealed to TC how Foul had used Earthpower to return to himself, to his power...yet that does not mean that Earthpower is the only way for Foul to return.

Though we have not received any explanation about how he returned after depleting himself in an attempt to destroy TC in WGW, the story is not finished.
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

I also found this book to be difficult going, though their are some well written sections. The whole she thing just seems clunky and awkward and why choose a moniker that so closely resembles a character from the most popular series of books of this generation. It really just is curious and don't tell me he has not heard of JKR.
When its covenant at the end i went thank you, at last.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Roynish wrote:I also found this book to be difficult going, though their are some well written sections. The whole she thing just seems clunky and awkward and why choose a moniker that so closely resembles a character from the most popular series of books of this generation. It really just is curious and don't tell me he has not heard of JKR.
When its covenant at the end i went thank you, at last.
JKR may be the most popular (does that only include book sales in the genre, or overall? Does "popular" include box office take?), but it is for kids. It is clearly written for kids. I saw part of one Potter movie and saw nothing but tropes. I would have loved that stuff if I was 12 because I didn't know about tropes and because the main characters are kids.

However, I'm not 12 anymore, and would never have heard of the Rowling connection if someone on the Watch hadn't mentioned it.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The fact that Potter is written for children only makes the similarity (in this work written for adults) all the more disappointing.

However, I wouldn't have known about it either if not for this forum. I haven't read any Potter, and I've only seen 2 of the movies.

I wonder how people here would react if another author used, say, "Earthblood" in his work? Would the same people be defending it as a legitimate creative act, or would they think it's a rip-off of Donaldson? I'm not just being a smartass ... I really need that word for my own story. It's a completely different concept from Donaldson's Earthblood, but the word itself is just too essential and potent for me to come up with anything else to describe the idea I'm trying to get across. I suspect Donaldson fans would cry foul (heh), so I'm struggling to name it something else. But I don't want to give it up.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

SRD has had the idea for these Last Chronicles in his head for a couple decades, so it's just possible that his name for this bane actually precedes Rowling's use of it in her story.

8)
--Saltheart Foamfollower

--Jean Gebser

Return to “Against All Things Ending”