Now that I'm finished, my favorite line in the book

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

I don't have the exact line. Perhaps someone with an e-reader can provide it.
But it is when Jeremiah is building his construct and Infelice has them trapped, and Stave tells her, "Woman, I am Haruchai, and I will break free and smite you with such force ..."
Like I said, I don't have the exact line. But to me, I read it, immediately, as a bit of a bluff, but it was all STREET.
Stave told an Elohim,
"B----, I'm going to hit you so hard, when you wake up, your clothes be out of style. I'm going to his you so hard, your mama gonna feel it. I'm going to hit you so hard, THE CREATOR going to feel it, and he gonna say, OWWWW!"
It was such amazing bravado.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
SleeplessOne
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by SleeplessOne »

got the book in front of me so I shall oblige (cuz I liked the quote, and the moment, too) :
'You delude yourself, Elohim.' His voice was a whisper hoarse with strain. Stars like commandments resisted it. Yet he made himself heard. 'Do you deem me helpless ? I am Haruchai. I do what I must. When you strive to enact your desires against Linden Avery's son, I will strike a blow which will alter your conception of power.'
:twisted:

this lil' slice of unscrupulous bad-assery from Galt aimed at the croyel was cool too :
'Be silent creature,' Galt replied. 'Do you fancy that I will scruple to sever your foul head from its body ? This youth whom you torment has no worth to me. And in her present state, Linden Avery cannot plead for him. It will not grieve me to cause your death.'
also, this, from Esmer :
Havoc!
and of course, Rogers already-immortal :
SUCK-er!
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

I loved those moments mentioned above. And while the lines I'm about to quote are not necessarily my favorite, one stands out.

(pg. 41)
I think we should do this Linden's way. She can make this kind of decision. The rest of us can't...Mhoram would approve.
Those last three words hit me hard when I read them. TC still loves Mhoram, still uses him a reference point for wise decisions. And by saying this, there's an invitation to compare Linden with Mhoram.

Love it!
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Darkdenubis
Stonedownor

Post by Darkdenubis »

Mhoram on his worst day is better then Linden. I have never read a character that was so self-centered, so whiney, so INANE. I was really rooting for Galt to cave in her head, I really was.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Your perspective is heard. However, even SRD has stated that "Linden Avery, like High Lord Mhoram before her, has a few things to say about the redemptive potential of inadequacy." The comparison cannot be denied...
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
dennisap
Servant of the Land

Post by dennisap »

Coincidentally, I wanted start a post entitled "SUCK-er" :D
"...but the soul in which the flower grows
survives."

readingandphilosophy.blogspot.com
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Stave's line to Infelice is great. Coincidentally, I thought some of Donaldson's most beautiful descriptions were of that loathsome Elohim:
Imperial and proud, she confronted Linden. Adorned in gems and rich music, and clad in sendaline woven and glittering like the stuff of dreams, the woman advanced like the world's suzerain wreathed in wrath and judgment. The luster of her hair was bright with compulsions in spite of the waning sunshine, and she wore her supple loveliness as thought it were an accusation.
The air of caldera was full of stars. They winked and spangled in front of her, around her, between her and her son, as evanescent and irrefusable as sun-dazzles. They were the gems of Infelice's raiment, the eldritch jewels of her chiming, and they sang a song of immobility that ruled the basin, dominated the bones.
These are passages that glitter. Sometimes Donaldson's prose can be too dour and bogged down by abstraction and a self-indulgent, self-conscious strangeness, but when he shines, he shines.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

" At the rear, Cirrus Kindwind herded the Cords ahead of her" , remains my favorite line of AATE ,,even, all of the Last Chrons, why heck, all of TCoTC!..Donaldson has us hear a new music in The Chronicles..Bravo!!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

Speaking of Infelice, one wonders why she doesn't just show up, say, "Hey, Linden, gimme the staff a second, and I'll get your son."
Then when Linden gives it up, torches her.
It's like, gosh. They are like the Joker.
I've captured Batman, so I'm going to tie him and Robin to this giant yo-yo, reveal my entire plan, then leave before it actually yo yos the dynamic duo to death from the top of Gotham Tower.
Never, hey, you're all tied up. Let's pump a pound of lead into your Bat-brains with this handy dandy 44 magnum.
If Infelice is indeed dead, Elohim with her, you know it's kind of all on them.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:Speaking of Infelice, one wonders why she doesn't just show up, say, "Hey, Linden, gimme the staff a second, and I'll get your son."
Then when Linden gives it up, torches her.
It's like, gosh. They are like the Joker.
Yeah except Infelice isn't evil and she's not interested in killing Linden or her friends.

She was only taking action against Jeremiah because he was getting close to freeing his mind, and the Elohim fear the power he has.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Stave's line to Infelice is great. Coincidentally, I thought some of Donaldson's most beautiful descriptions were of that loathsome Elohim:
Imperial and proud, she confronted Linden. Adorned in gems and rich music, and clad in sendaline woven and glittering like the stuff of dreams, the woman advanced like the world's suzerain wreathed in wrath and judgment. The luster of her hair was bright with compulsions in spite of the waning sunshine, and she wore her supple loveliness as thought it were an accusation.
The air of caldera was full of stars. They winked and spangled in front of her, around her, between her and her son, as evanescent and irrefusable as sun-dazzles. They were the gems of Infelice's raiment, the eldritch jewels of her chiming, and they sang a song of immobility that ruled the basin, dominated the bones.
These are passages that glitter. Sometimes Donaldson's prose can be too dour and bogged down by abstraction and a self-indulgent, self-conscious strangeness, but when he shines, he shines.
Agreed. Sometimes it seems as if he must have spent days pondering and composing a single paragraph, for example, describing Linden's second translation to the Land.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo

Return to “Against All Things Ending”