Out of the gloom of the world wide web...

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Out of the gloom of the world wide web...

Post by TheFallen »

...appears Kevin's Watch, of all things.

I'm another very long-term yet ardent (no pun intended) UK-based Covenant fan who has just stumbled across this place, which I'm viewing with a fast-growing interest. Having just finished AATE, I thought I'd research exactly how long I'm going to have to wait before volume IV of TLC, which by typically circuitous browsing routes brought me here. 2+ years is going to be hard to bear but it will just have to be endured. I suspect I'll have to go back to the very beginning and re-(re-re-re)-read the entire chronicles all over again - not that this will be much of a hardship.

Two things to throw into the general fray - and apologies if this is not the place to do this.

One, I have noticed that I am far less alienated by SRD's use of eclectic language as time has gone by. Never in my life have I needed to resort to a dictionary when reading a novel, but I remember when first reading LFB & c. that there were one or two occasions when this became necessary. At the time this grated a little - it seemed to me to be obfuscation for its own sakes on the part of our author. However in hindsight, I'm entirely convinced that it's stylistically deliberate and lends to the overall otherworldliness of the atmosphere that SRD seeks (and succeeds) to conjure. Maybe I'm mellowing in my old age...

Two, and I'm sure this is discussed elsewhere, suitable stable companions for The Chronicles. The comparison with Tolkien is inevitable, but not the most apt IMHO. The closest I can recall is Zelazny's Amber series - it lacks the grandeur, the depth of characterisation and it has a smack of pulp fiction, but I recall it with a similar eager and engrossed response.

Anyhow, quite enough for my first post... hello, all.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, TheFallen.
Be Well Come and True.

Yes, you will find both topics covered elsewhere, as well as other, non-Donaldson related topics. The Watch is a thought provoking yet fun place which covers just about anything you can think of. Browse around, check it out, and jump in anywhere.

I look forward to reading your further posts.
Icarus Unfallen
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Icarus Unfallen »

Welcome to KW, TheFallen!

Hope the landing was soft...and that whatever brought you down is not contagious!
Focus on where you are going and why.
Never lose awareness of how far down "down" is...but don't obsess about it.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

There surely is a flaw in the machine when every Donaldson fan still doesn't know about KW !! What the hell is SRD doing? :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha. Welcome to the Watch, Fallen. There's far more here than just Donaldson, so look around and join in. :D

--A
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

hi there.

i am the only sane one here btw.

enjoy!
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Welcome, TheFallen.

And let me make this introduction.
TheFallen, Icarus Unfallen.
Icarus Unfallen, TheFallen.

Thank goodness you two showed up at the same time. I'd hate for the Watch to tip over because only one of you was here.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

(Icarus sounds suspiciously like SavorDam... :huh:)
fall far and well Pilots!
O-gon-cho
The Gap Into Spam
Location: And closing of the eyes - true vision, The Light within became...Within the Light

Post by O-gon-cho »

Fist and Faith wrote:Welcome, TheFallen.

And let me make this introduction.
TheFallen, Icarus Unfallen.
Icarus Unfallen, TheFallen.

Thank goodness you two showed up at the same time. I'd hate for the Watch to tip over because only one of you was here.
I would have sworn Argothoth brought forth a short-lived deity in Eiran's Second Age called The Fallen. In fact, wasn't he the deity of Bel's current followers?

(Sorry, TheFallen. I'm talking Pantheon here. One of the role playing games down in Gravin Threndor. Feel free to follow along, although that The Fallen left awhile ago.)
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Also, welcome..

I have been viewing some of your posts and am enjoying the perspectives which you provide. Keep up the good work!

As far as comparing other series to the Chronichles, I have never read any fantasy novels which come close. There are forums here which do discuss that very thing, I believe..
And like yourself I've enjoyed Donaldson's generous use of less common words.. It's never made me need to pick up a dictionary (or thesaurus) though, and anyway, welcome.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

again - only sane one. right here. yep.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “The Summonsing”