A leaked Video of the Trailer for the Thing Prequel

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Kevin164
Giantfriend

A leaked Video of the Trailer for the Thing Prequel

Post by Kevin164 »

Taken at the NY comic con. Not the greatest quality, but from what you can glean from it this movie looks to have some real potential of not failing.

www.trailerspy.com/trailer/11885/The-Th ... eg-Trailer
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

err. Moderator can you please move this to the Flick Section?
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's going to take a lot for this not to suck. Carpenter was really firing on all cylinders when the original came out, and I'd say it's easily one of the top five sci-fi and horror films ever made.

It had better:

- Use as many practical effects as possible. Stan Winston's work on the original still looks great, and creepy as hell.

- Be R-rated. I generally don't get picky about ratings, but in order for it to be done right, it's gotta be gory.

- Keep Carpenter's tone of paranoia, madness, and confinement.

- No. F-ing. Love. Story.

- Not try to have some grand message. If the monster is supposed to be a parable for AIDS or cancer, I'm going to choke the life out of the poor bastard sitting in front of me.

It's impossible to tell from the trailer, but the hallway shots sure looked familiar. That's a pretty good sign.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Nice.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Kevin164 wrote:err. Moderator can you please move this to the Flick Section?

Done.

grumble grumble....people making me work...grumble grumble :D
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Cail wrote:It's going to take a lot for this not to suck. Carpenter was really firing on all cylinders when the original came out, and I'd say it's easily one of the top five sci-fi and horror films ever made.

It had better:

- Use as many practical effects as possible. Stan Winston's work on the original still looks great, and creepy as hell.

- Be R-rated. I generally don't get picky about ratings, but in order for it to be done right, it's gotta be gory.

- Keep Carpenter's tone of paranoia, madness, and confinement.

- No. F-ing. Love. Story.

- Not try to have some grand message. If the monster is supposed to be a parable for AIDS or cancer, I'm going to choke the life out of the poor bastard sitting in front of me.

It's impossible to tell from the trailer, but the hallway shots sure looked familiar. That's a pretty good sign.

-It's R-rated.

-The Director is said to be sleeping with a vhs copy of Carpenter's version under his pillow. He knows that fans of the Thing will hunt him down and ruin his life if he messes it up. Though Universal wants Americans there because most studio executives can't stomach taking a chance with the US Audience.

- The guys working on the effects are the same that did Alien3, Predators and they have said they are using old school effects trying to keep to Rob Bottin's earlier break through. There will be the use of CG, yet trying to keep it balanced.

Needless to say I've heard this crap before from studios when it comes to a remake or a prequel of a beloved movie. Usually it sucks. But there's something to this trailer that says give it a chance and I can hardly wait to see it in HD so I can go over it in the details.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

If it's the guys who did A3, one of them's Tom Woodruffe. He's a hack, but he worked with Winston.

Then again, the effects in A3 were awful.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

My prediction: it's going to suck. It's pointless, especially since it's a prequel. No amount of sleeping on VHS copies or retro special effects could save this project.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Ended with what sounded like Carpenter's music; good sign. Might be ok, and not to be sexist, but both the orig and Carpenter's had no women, so there was no fear of a love story; just a bare-bones action-man flick. If this is a main movie house release it will suck; if it was made independent and Universal bought it, then it might turn out to be ok. I agree, carpenters The Thing is top 5.

btw, my 87 yo 2 heart attack, 3 stroke Dad could hold the camera more steady.
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Here's a clearer version of the video thanks to YouTube.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUS3C697lw&feature=related

Return to “Flicks”