Tim Burton. Like, Dislike list!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

___ wrote:
Horrim Carabal wrote:Isn't it funny that two of Keaton's best performances were Burton films? Beetlejuice and Batman.
I felt Keaton worked too hard in Beetlejuice at something he did effortlessly in Night Shift. As for his best performance, it was probably Clean and Sober.
Ditto.
Plus, the entire plot of the film would have been drawn out and pointless in a 30 minute sitcom, much less a feature length movie. The plot is something better suited to "Gilligan's Island."
I will continue to stand by my loathing for this gratuitous, self indulgent crap-fest.
Even as an impressionable youth, I could not be suckered by this piece of raw garbage!
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Batman: one other point, let's not forget how surprised everyone was to see Michael Keaton, thought to be a zany comic actor, surpass himself as a dark twisted vigilante in a serious role!
This stunned everyone!
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Didn't anyone even notice the penguin rockets at the end of Batman Returns? Surely they were campy almost to the level of the rubber shark in the 1960's Batman movie. When I saw how stupid it was presented I almost laughed outloud in the theater. I think it was that stupidity that gave Joel Schumacher permission to put nipples on Batman's chestplate. Maybe no one else really cared but I'll never forget it. :-)
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Lord Zombiac wrote:Batman: one other point, let's not forget how surprised everyone was to see Michael Keaton, thought to be a zany comic actor, surpass himself as a dark twisted vigilante in a serious role!
This stunned everyone!
Definitely. Initially, I was very impressed with the movie, and continued to be quite some time. Really I still like it a lot; I think that somewhere back in the '90's I quit thinking of it as an individual film, and started thing of it as 'part 1 of 4', and the other 3 drag it down somewhat. That being said, I preferred part 3 over part 2, and while I disliked part 4 a lot, I still like Uma Thurman's Poison Ivy as much as Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman, and Arnold's Schwartzenegger's Mr. Freeze, while campy, wasn't as bad as the Penguin, even though I think Danny DeVito is a fine actor. Also, that "I took off my mask, you take off your's" bit at the end of part 2 was unbearable. All that being said, I have Batman & Batman Returns in my dvd collection, but not the other 2.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

CovenantJr wrote:Tim Burton's problem is that he can't keep hold of his balls?
laughing uncontrollably at that one. (I meant to say Batman not B-2) Agreed Clean & Sober in one of Keaton's best, loved Nightshift too, but my fav is still Pacific Heights (I think I've had housemates like that before! 8O 8O 8O )
fall far and well Pilots!
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Watched Alice in Wonderland on the telly last night, and it was quite interesting, until...Tim Burton made the Jabberwocky a gigantic killer dragon. Why does everyone assume it's harmful? The Jabberwocky is a timid creature afraid of humans. Not the other way round.

Disappointing!

I switched off the box long before the movie was finished.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hmm. The Jabberwock is only ever described as having "jaws that bite, claws that catch" and "eyes of flame", and the entire poem is about a man sent out to slay it. That little evidence doesn't really suggest it's harmless.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Terry Gilliam's "Jabberwocky" was the best treatment of the Jabberwock I've seen so far, along with Jack Palance's stage presentation of the creature.

I agree that "Batman Returns" was campy with the rockets and all, but I am not a loyal devotee of the comic books-- in fact I loved the campy TV series.

I grew up with it.

Adam West is my yardstick by which I measure all other Batmans.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well, I grew up with West's Batman too, and aside from Arthur, Romeo's Joker, Newmar's Catwoman, Premminger's Mr. Freeze and Gorshin's Riddler I couldn't wait until we all grew up and somebody found better actors to replace everybody else...especially Chief O'Hara. The problem with Premminger, however, was every time he talked you thought it was this guy:
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die..."
fall far and well Pilots!
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Edward G. Robinson too!

:cry:
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cagliostro wrote: Sorry, I worded that badly. What I meant was sometimes literally at the last minute (before the credits roll) is where he blows it. I was enjoying Big Fish up until the last few minutes
Spoiler
when I realized it was all a lie, and felt cheated. I didn't want reality with that movie, dammit
How could it be anything else?

Look at the movie this way... you've got a guy who's just trying to get to know his dad. All he has are the zany stories his dad has always told him, and he's trying to get through that to find something real.

One of my all-time favorite films.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Cagliostro wrote:
CovenantJr wrote:
Cagliostro wrote:he nudges right up against something that I'd really get excited about, and drops the ball at the last minute, often literally so.
Literally? Really? :lol: Tim Burton's problem is that he can't keep hold of his balls?
Sorry, I worded that badly. What I meant was sometimes literally at the last minute (before the credits roll) is where he blows it. I was enjoying Big Fish up until the last few minutes
Spoiler
when I realized it was all a lie, and felt cheated. I didn't want reality with that movie, dammit
Nah, I'm just picky. :P
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

Albert Finney is awesome. He's also memorable as Kilgore Trout in "Breakfast of Champions."
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I agree about the ending to Big Fish. Really diminished an interesting movie.

If a similar ending had been tacked on to Scott Pilgrim, for example, it would have had the same effect.

Or if at the end of TLD Covenant were to wake up in a hospital and the entire 10 books were a dream.

I hate those kind of "Bobby in the shower" resolutions. What's the point?
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Rigel wrote: How could it be anything else?

Look at the movie this way... you've got a guy who's just trying to get to know his dad. All he has are the zany stories his dad has always told him, and he's trying to get through that to find something real.

One of my all-time favorite films.
It's probably just all about my expectation, and I'm probably being naive, but I felt very let down at the end.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Krazy Kat
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Krazy Kat »

Murrin wrote:Hmm. The Jabberwock is only ever described as having "jaws that bite, claws that catch" and "eyes of flame", and the entire poem is about a man sent out to slay it. That little evidence doesn't really suggest it's harmless.
The quotation marks could make the statement true, or false. Maybe the person making the statement has only heard that the creature is dangerous, and, passes on this information to his son. The sins of the father.

John Tenniel's drawings contain a wealth of evidence to show how some can see things from the wrong viewpoint.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I went to school with someone who was so badly bullied that he never reached his twentieth birthday. He sat down one day to catch his breath, fell asleep, and never woke up. I think he died of a brain tumour. But then, that's only my opinion.

Drifting off topic now, tara!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Krazy Kat wrote:
Murrin wrote:Hmm. The Jabberwock is only ever described as having "jaws that bite, claws that catch" and "eyes of flame", and the entire poem is about a man sent out to slay it. That little evidence doesn't really suggest it's harmless.
The quotation marks could make the statement true, or false. Maybe the person making the statement has only heard that the creature is dangerous, and, passes on this information to his son. The sins of the father.

John Tenniel's drawings contain a wealth of evidence to show how some can see things from the wrong viewpoint.

Of course, this is just my opinion. I went to school with someone who was so badly bullied that he never reached his twentieth birthday. He sat down one day to catch his breath, fell asleep, and never woke up. I think he died of a brain tumour. But then, that's only my opinion.

Drifting off topic now, tara!
The jaws and claws are mentioned by the father and could conceivably be exaggeration or simply misinformation, but the Jabberwock has "eyes of flame" when the guy encounters it, which suggests to me that the rest of the father's description is equally accurate, but even if not, having eyes of flame is fairly intimidating. Regardless, there is certainly more indication of it being a frightening and/or dangerous creature than there is of it being timid and afraid of humans, which isn't suggested anywhere as far as I know.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Krazy Kat wrote:I went to school with someone who was so badly bullied that he never reached his twentieth birthday. He sat down one day to catch his breath, fell asleep, and never woke up. I think he died of a brain tumour. But then, that's only my opinion.
That makes no sense. Being bullied doesn't cause brain tumors. If it did, I'd have died by the time I was fifteen.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

___ wrote:
Krazy Kat wrote:I went to school with someone who was so badly bullied that he never reached his twentieth birthday. He sat down one day to catch his breath, fell asleep, and never woke up. I think he died of a brain tumour. But then, that's only my opinion.
That makes no sense. Being bullied doesn't cause brain tumors. If it did, I'd have died by the time I was fifteen.
Oh. I didn't even register the 'killed by bullying' bit. If he'd just been exerting himself and he was bullied a lot (stress), surely something heart-related would make more sense than a sudden tumour.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

OK, I just watched Burton's PotA again. It's not as horrible as I remember it, but the ending is still ridiculous.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart

Return to “Flicks”