Those damn grass stained jeans

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Those damn grass stained jeans

Post by kevinswatch »

I'm around Part 1 Chapter 10 of Shall Pass Utterly, and seriously, do we really need to keep reading about the stains on Linden's jeans? How many different metaphors can they possibly represent???

-jay
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Re: Those damn grass stained jeans

Post by TheFallen »

kevinswatch wrote:I'm around Part 1 Chapter 10 of Shall Pass Utterly, and seriously, do we really need to keep reading about the stains on Linden's jeans? How many different metaphors can they possibly represent???

-jay
I have to admit I'm of like mind. Given the frequency with which descriptions occur within the narrative, Linden's indecipherably significant stained Levis seem to be of greater significance than the equally indecipherable runes which Caerroil Wildwood adds to her Staff of Law - do I remember rightly that one of the reasons that Caerroil didn't immediately string Linden up on Gallows Howe was somehow because of the grass-stains on her jeans?

Regardless of that, I can see potentials for a lucrative sponsorship deal here - Linden Avery, brought to you by new Ariel Bio...
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Just wait, the grass stains get compared to something quite distinct later on in the book ... though, this has been yet another point of contention among fans:
Spoiler
... her self-mutilation of her legs.
I agree that these extended "mysteries" have been pushed too far. It seems that Donaldson is just withholding that message for a manufactured, contrived sense of suspense. Surely he has something definite in mind for these images, or he wouldn't bother stringing us along for three books. He'll probably whip out the meaning in a powerful scene, much like the Seven Words. But by then it will have been built up for so long, that it will seem anti-climatic. Or, he'll just drop it like:
Spoiler
... Anele being the Land's last hope, etc.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Zarathustra wrote:Just wait, the grass stains get compared to something quite distinct later on in the book ... though, this has been yet another point of contention among fans:
Spoiler
... her self-mutilation of her legs.
I agree that these extended "mysteries" have been pushed too far. It seems that Donaldson is just withholding that message for a manufactured, contrived sense of suspense. Surely he has something definite in mind for these images, or he wouldn't bother stringing us along for three books. He'll probably whip out the meaning in a powerful scene, much like the Seven Words. But by then it will have been built up for so long, that it will seem anti-climatic. Or, he'll just drop it like:
Spoiler
... Anele being the Land's last hope, etc.
You mean
Spoiler
he's not the Last Hope of the Land?
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Didn't the same thing happen to TC's robe in LFB?
While going through Morinmoss? (sp?)
Did we ever find out what it meant?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Didn't the same thing happen to TC's robe in LFB?
Nature and her ways remain unfathomable to us. But in Covenant's case, they seemed to have been prophetic, signifying eventual honor and distinction. Weren't there marks on the shoulder areas like two epaulets? Such meaning is always very personal. But for the reader, it just added to the eeriness and mystery of the scene in Morinmoss. In Linden's case, the way I see it is that it adds an aura of mystery to her future role as either saving or damning the Land. So it's prophetic but we don't know in what way. The scene in Garroting Deep adds an element of hope to the prophecy, and Forestals aren't often wrong.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Dear God, the jeans play a BIGGER role later in the book???

To be fair, I am enjoying the book so far. Although it hasn't pulled me in like the Gap (or the first two Chronicles) did so easily.

And for the record, Stave is the coolest character in the Last Chronicles (not that he has had much competition).

-jay
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Nature and her ways remain unfathomable to us. But in Covenant's case, they seemed to have been prophetic, signifying eventual honor and distinction. Weren't there marks on the shoulder areas like two epaulets? Such meaning is always very personal. But for the reader, it just added to the eeriness and mystery of the scene in Morinmoss. In Linden's case, the way I see it is that it adds an aura of mystery to her future role as either saving or damning the Land. So it's prophetic but we don't know in what way. The scene in Garroting Deep adds an element of hope to the prophecy, and Forestals aren't often wrong.
The stripes on the shoulders were on Mhoram's robe, not Covenant's.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

bikebryan wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
The stripes on the shoulders were on Mhoram's robe, not Covenant's.
Interesting, that adds yet another event. It was in Lord Foul's Bane. Covenant's white robe was covered in stripes, while Mhoram received a stripe on each shoulder.

ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Those damn grass stained jeans

Post by ninjaboy »

TheFallen wrote:
kevinswatch wrote:I'm around Part 1 Chapter 10 of Shall Pass Utterly, and seriously, do we really need to keep reading about the stains on Linden's jeans? How many different metaphors can they possibly represent???

-jay
I have to admit I'm of like mind. Given the frequency with which descriptions occur within the narrative, Linden's indecipherably significant stained Levis seem to be of greater significance than the equally indecipherable runes which Caerroil Wildwood adds to her Staff of Law - do I remember rightly that one of the reasons that Caerroil didn't immediately string Linden up on Gallows Howe was somehow because of the grass-stains on her jeans?

Regardless of that, I can see potentials for a lucrative sponsorship deal here - Linden Avery, brought to you by new Ariel Bio...
They're Levis ? I don't think I ever noticed that...
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

You know what else - Jeremiah's pysamas are also covered in dirt and grime..

But I don't recall Roger's clothes being referred to as stained or marked by contact with any part of the Land..
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

Linden's fate is written in water, so we are told. Grass stains happen when wet grass is rubbed against fabric.

Water + Earth = Linden's fate?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Worm, yea, The Land has left its mark on her..like..when the poop hits the fan..its, hey, just a reminder here, yea, down here, remember us?,,and no, we don't make your butt look fat!
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Barnetto
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Barnetto »

Didn't he wake up in hospital in a green hospital gown at the end of the particular book (WGW)? I thought the white robe stained green was intended to be a reference to the green hospital gown (and a continuation of the idea that it was all in TC's subconscious ie subconsciously he was aware of the green hospital gown and so it was transmuted in his dreamstate into this green stained robe in morrinmoss)?
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I finally got around to finishing AATE this weekend.

We now know that the stains are also, metaphorically, a map. I suspect they will play another role in Linden and how she will help manage to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in TLD. Remeber: Caerroil Wildwood himself commented on them.

The Tank is gone and now so am I.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”