The Feroce, their Powers, the Lurker and Kelenbhrabanal.

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

ninjaboy wrote:
TheFallen wrote: Yes, but as we're told towards the end of AATE, Mahrtiir and the Ramen are near on certain that it was the Lurker that killed Khelenbhranal - and their evidence being based upon the Ranyhyn being scared of only one thing in the whole Land - although circumstantial - is fairly convincing. Let's face it, if anyone's going to have an understanding of some racial memory surviving over the eons within the Ranyhyn, it's going to be the Ramen.
Just because they think it is the most likely reason doesn't make it true. But they aren't just afreaid of the lurker, I can tell you right know they were terrified of Covenant when he first appeared. Now how do you account for that? Did Covenant slay the big K as well?
Yes, both your points are fair.

Although Mahrtiir is himself convinced - and by inference, all the Ramen are equally certain - this doesn't make his belief that the Lurker slew K 100% cast-iron true. Mahrtiir opens his exposition of the Ramens' theory on K's demise by saying "We surmise...", so it's not definite by any means.

And yes, the Ranyhyn were indeed terrified of TC in the First Chrons - presumably because they had some mystical (horserite-gained?) knowledge of the potential within him to damn the Land and the dangers of the power within him? On the other hand, they mastered their fear enough to offer themselves to his service... something they've not at all achieved re Horrim Carabal. I think there's something more visceral and as I said earlier "racial memory driven" in their panicked reaction towards the Lurker's presence.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

TheFallen wrote:
ninjaboy wrote:
Vraith wrote:I'm not a fan of the Lurker being the instrument of K's death...partly it just...bugs me for some reason. But also, I'm not sure the timing works because, although my books are far away and I don't know why I think I know this, I think I know that the Lurker was really nothing special [in either evilness or power] long after K was already dead.
Now, I suppose it might work if Lurker was just a more normal predatory being [which I'm pretty sure it once was], and it was able to kill K cuz he agreed to die...and the combination of feeding on K and serving LF was the beginning of its path [with the oozings from under the Mount just exacerbating the process]...but it seems unlike LF to touch/corrupt something then just let it go about its own business for so very long [I mean, we're talking almost 10k years here].
I agree with this to some extent..
IF the Lurker was chosen by Fangthane to slay or rend the big K, well.. Why? The Grey Slayer is a pretty thorough planner, and it seems that there wasn't too much thought put into selecting Horrim Cabal (if indeed it was he) over other beings..
Yes, but as we're told towards the end of AATE, Mahrtiir and the Ramen are near on certain that it was the Lurker that killed Khelenbhranal - and their evidence being based upon the Ranyhyn being scared of only one thing in the whole Land - although circumstantial - is fairly convincing. Let's face it, if anyone's going to have an understanding of some racial memory surviving over the eons within the Ranyhyn, it's going to be the Ramen.
It's also possible that the ramen didn't want to accept K's story because they found it too degrading to their idol.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

TheFallen wrote:
ninjaboy wrote:
TheFallen wrote: Yes, but as we're told towards the end of AATE, Mahrtiir and the Ramen are near on certain that it was the Lurker that killed Khelenbhranal - and their evidence being based upon the Ranyhyn being scared of only one thing in the whole Land - although circumstantial - is fairly convincing. Let's face it, if anyone's going to have an understanding of some racial memory surviving over the eons within the Ranyhyn, it's going to be the Ramen.
Just because they think it is the most likely reason doesn't make it true. But they aren't just afreaid of the lurker, I can tell you right know they were terrified of Covenant when he first appeared. Now how do you account for that? Did Covenant slay the big K as well?
Yes, both your points are fair.

Although Mahrtiir is himself convinced - and by inference, all the Ramen are equally certain - this doesn't make his belief that the Lurker slew K 100% cast-iron true. Mahrtiir opens his exposition of the Ramens' theory on K's demise by saying "We surmise...", so it's not definite by any means.

And yes, the Ranyhyn were indeed terrified of TC in the First Chrons - presumably because they had some mystical (horserite-gained?) knowledge of the potential within him to damn the Land and the dangers of the power within him? On the other hand, they mastered their fear enough to offer themselves to his service... something they've not at all achieved re Horrim Carabal. I think there's something more visceral and as I said earlier "racial memory driven" in their panicked reaction towards the Lurker's presence.
Yes, it's true that we can't be 100% sure that the Lurker killed K, but there aren't an abundance of other explanation's for the Ranyhyn's fear of the Lurker either.

I am honestly not sure what the significance of the Ranyhyn being terrified of TC is.. He did have (and does have) the potential to destroy the world of the Land, and I think it isn't beyond the realms of likelihood that that was apparent to the Ranyhyn.
But then look to Linden. She has awoken the Worm of the World's End, thus imperilling the very Arc of Time and the very existence of the world (which is what TC was at wisk of doing, and what the Render wanted him to do).. Yet the Ranyhyn acknowledged that Linden was capable of the same thing, and indeed now she has achieved all this ruin. But the Ranyhyn never seem to have been terrified of her....

The only thing I can think of to explain this (if there is anything to it, it might just have been something to make the First Chrons more interesting) is that as the Ranyhyn are 'adept at time' they may well have forseen all this, and the reason they were terrified of him all those thousands of years ago may be related to what he is becoming now, in the Last Chronichles..

But at any rate we were discussing the Lurker. I acknowledge this concept of 'racial memory' which you speak of, Fallen, but I believe that through sharing the Horserite the younger Rahnyhn 'experience' the history of thir race, so whatever has hapenned to the Great Horses is remembered, not so much as a 'racial' memory but actually as a conscious memory, similar to the way each haruchai remembers events thousands of years ago due to the way the mentally share such events.
... Unless that's actually what you neant by 'racial memory'.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Starfire 152
Servant of the Land

Post by Starfire 152 »

Hello

It is my theory that the Lurker was the Forestal of Sarangrave. Here's why.

In AATE we learn that there were several Forestals. If Andelain can have one, why not Sarangrave?

Forestals protect and promote natural living things. The Sarangrave was/is always full of life. The lands near Fouls Creche are sterile and lifeless. The servants of the Despiser destroy life whenever possible. Look what happened to Salva Gildenbourne.

The torment and disfiguration of the Lurker can be explained by the effluvium from Mt Thunder. It was unable to escape or avoid this. Where could it go? Its only choice was to die, or suffer and live. We know that the IS and SHE are able to twist and taint earthpower. The Lurker's been drinking HER bathwater for thousands of years.

Horrim Carabal is attracted to Earthpower. Clean burning, low emission EP. Not the tainted kind. It wants EP to heal itself. Revert back to its original form and nature. It cant use white gold. It cant bargain with croyel. Cant use the Illearth stone ot beg LF for the necessary power it wants. HC may have been attuned to the SOL due to the runes inscribed by Wildwood. Thats why he wanted it so bad.

The bargain with Covenant comes from two sources. Carabal probably gleaned some knowledge of TC from Linden's mind. He also knows that he's on the Worm's menu. He's desperate. LF stole his skest. Another motivation to help TC and friends.

Thanks!
Impediment
Fop
Acolyte of the Madoubt
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Semi off subject...

The Ranyhyn were afraid of Covenant because the power of choice was taken away from them. TC is the only human to whom they had to submit.

Back to the Lurker.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Starfire 152 wrote:Hello

In AATE we learn that there were several Forestals. If Andelain can have one, why not Sarangrave?

Forestals protect and promote natural living things. The Sarangrave was/is always full of life. The lands near Fouls Creche are sterile and lifeless. The servants of the Despiser destroy life whenever possible. Look what happened to Salva Gildenbourne.

The torment and disfiguration of the Lurker can be explained by the effluvium from Mt Thunder. It was unable to escape or avoid this. Where could it go? Its only choice was to die, or suffer and live. We know that the IS and SHE are able to twist and taint earthpower. The Lurker's been drinking HER bathwater for thousands of years.

Horrim Carabal is attracted to Earthpower. Clean burning, low emission EP. Not the tainted kind. It wants EP to heal itself. Revert back to its original form and nature. It cant use white gold. It cant bargain with croyel. Cant use the Illearth stone ot beg LF for the necessary power it wants. HC may have been attuned to the SOL due to the runes inscribed by Wildwood. Thats why he wanted it so bad.

The bargain with Covenant comes from two sources. Carabal probably gleaned some knowledge of TC from Linden's mind. He also knows that he's on the Worm's menu. He's desperate. LF stole his skest. Another motivation to help TC and friends.

Thanks!
That's not a bad theory at all..
There are definately a number of similarities between the Horrim Cabal and the old forestals, and that would account for the relative immortality of the Lurker..
However the Sarangrave isn't really a forest, it's more of a swamp/wetlands area. So maybe 'forestal' isn't the right word. But perhaps, being a watery area, the form that the Lurker takes is appropriate, and always was that way.
And the forestals are really characterised by their singing, and does the Lurker's high-pitched noises really match that?
Still it's a good theory, and one well deserving of further thought. And the pertinent question which comes to mind is 'could Foul have convinced the 'forestal' of the Sarangrave to slay Kelenbhrabanal?' I don't see forestals as beings who make alliances, or beings who would slay the great horses..
Forgive my death.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

I don't believe Lurker was forestal-esque, but I still love the idea of it...almost wish I believed it.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Vraith wrote:I don't believe Lurker was forestal-esque, but I still love the idea of it...almost wish I believed it.
Inventing the lurker was just an excuse for Donaldson to use the word "ululation" in a real sentence.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

ninjaboy wrote:
Starfire 152 wrote:Hello

Thanks!
That's not a bad theory at all..
There are definately a number of similarities between the Horrim Cabal and the old forestals, and that would account for the relative immortality of the Lurker..
However the Sarangrave isn't really a forest, it's more of a swamp/wetlands area. So maybe 'forestal' isn't the right word. But perhaps, being a watery area, the form that the Lurker takes is appropriate, and always was that way.
And the forestals are really characterised by their singing, and does the Lurker's high-pitched noises really match that?
Still it's a good theory, and one well deserving of further thought. And the pertinent question which comes to mind is 'could Foul have convinced the 'forestal' of the Sarangrave to slay Kelenbhrabanal?' I don't see forestals as beings who make alliances, or beings who would slay the great horses..
Since when is a Forestal limited to a Forest, though? At the end, the last Forestal, Caer Caveral, was the Forestal of Andelain. There were no forests left, yet he remained to hold law inviolate thoughout Andelain.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I really enjoy the "HC as corrupted Forestal" theory. Much potential there, I think, whether it turns out to be true or not.
ninjaboy wrote:And the forestals are really characterised by their singing, and does the Lurker's high-pitched noises really match that?
After millenia of exposure to the pollution from Mount Thunder's numerous banes- SHE among them? I can see the pure song of the Forestals being transformed to the Lurker's squeals. In fact, I think that would be quite fitting.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

Cambo wrote:I really enjoy the "HC as corrupted Forestal" theory. Much potential there, I think, whether it turns out to be true or not.
ninjaboy wrote:And the forestals are really characterised by their singing, and does the Lurker's high-pitched noises really match that?
After millenia of exposure to the pollution from Mount Thunder's numerous banes- SHE among them? I can see the pure song of the Forestals being transformed to the Lurker's squeals. In fact, I think that would be quite fitting.
Well fair enough, I concede that such transformation is possible - but are you 100% sure that whatever pollution SHE emits would get into the Sarangrave? As shown in AATE the waters of the Sarangrave are polluted by the deep recesses of the wighwarrens, and SHE lives far far below the deepest depths of the wightwarrens..
Forgive my death.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

OK - for further speculation about the possibilities of the Lurker being a Forestal, here are the names of Forestals TC knows..

Caerroil Wildwood (Garroting Deep)
Cav-Morin Fernhold (former Forestal of Morinmoss)
Dhorehold of the Dark (Grimmerdhore)
the Magister of Andelain (Andelain, I guess)
Syr Embattled (former Forestal of Giant Woods)
Caer-Careval (Andelain again)

Is there anyone I'm missing?
Forgive my death.
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

OK - for further speculation about the possibilities of the Lurker being a Forestal, here are the names of Forestals TC knows..

Caerroil Wildwood (Garroting Deep)
Cav-Morin Fernhold (former Forestal of Morinmoss)
Dhorehold of the Dark (Grimmerdhore)
the Magister of Andelain (Andelain, I guess)
Syr Embattled (former Forestal of Giant Woods)
Caer-Careval (Andelain again)

Is there anyone I'm missing?
It is apparent that there are more forestals than those mentioned, according to the last chapter..
Forgive my death.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

ninjaboy wrote:
Cambo wrote:I really enjoy the "HC as corrupted Forestal" theory. Much potential there, I think, whether it turns out to be true or not.
Well fair enough, I concede that such transformation is possible - but are you 100% sure that whatever pollution SHE emits would get into the Sarangrave? As shown in AATE the waters of the Sarangrave are polluted by the deep recesses of the wighwarrens, and SHE lives far far below the deepest depths of the wightwarrens..
Nope, I'm not 100% sure SHE was involved. I am 100% sure that whatever does get into the Defile's Course (that was the name of the river leading to Sarangrave, right?) is sufficiently bad for nutrition that the aforementioned transformation is at least possible.

(Edit)Donaldson wrote about the Defile's Course long before he came up with SHE, so upon reflection it's entirely unnecessary for SHE to have any relationship to HC.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
SGuilfoyle1966
Giantfriend

Post by SGuilfoyle1966 »

On the theory that Martiir attributes the fear of the Ranyhyn of Sarangrave to the lurker being the render of KelenB, and the response that they also fear TC, so might he have also rended KelenB.

The Ramen seem to have a blind eye to Thomas Covenant's true effect on the Ranyhyn. Remember it was Pietten who noticed they feared/hated him. TC was surrounded by the Ranyhyn who reared. The Ramen were on the outside.

The next day, Manethrall Lithe wanted to offer herself to him. None of the Ramen figured out the Ranyhyn stayed long in the Land because of the vow to TC.

I'm sure they have some intellectual fact in their head that they Ranyhyn feared TC. But he was the white gold wielder. The great horses reared. That's all the Ramen need to know.

I can't think of a specific quote that might belie this. Though we have gotten more about the Ramen in just any one book of the last chonicles than we did in all the six books of the first two chronicles combined.

I think we were also told that KelenB bared his through to the Render's teeth. Always took Lord Foul to be his own Render in that case. That is the Ramen title for Fangthane, right?
Do, or do not. There is no try.
I think you like me because I'm a scoundrel.
Irishman and Gamecock fan
Starfire 152
Servant of the Land

Post by Starfire 152 »

Both Glimmermere and Earthroot end up in Defiles Course. Its a mix of good and bad. Diluted Earthpower and pure stank.

In AATE we have the origin of Landsdrop. Thats a feature important to the history of the Land, so indirectly, SHE influenced the Chronicles all along. We just didnt know it until now.

SHE is also the source of Kevins dirt (indirectly) This is an unresolved and important mystery.
ninjaboy wrote:Nope, I'm not 100% sure SHE was involved. I am 100% sure that whatever does get into the Defile's Course (that was the name of the river leading to Sarangrave, right?) is sufficiently bad for nutrition that the aforementioned transformation is at least possible.

(Edit)Donaldson wrote about the Defile's Course long before he came up with SHE, so upon reflection it's entirely unnecessary for SHE to have any relationship to HC.
Impediment
Fop
Acolyte of the Madoubt
ninjaboy
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:On the theory that Martiir attributes the fear of the Ranyhyn of Sarangrave to the lurker being the render of KelenB, and the response that they also fear TC, so might he have also rended KelenB.

The Ramen seem to have a blind eye to Thomas Covenant's true effect on the Ranyhyn. Remember it was Pietten who noticed they feared/hated him. TC was surrounded by the Ranyhyn who reared. The Ramen were on the outside.

The next day, Manethrall Lithe wanted to offer herself to him. None of the Ramen figured out the Ranyhyn stayed long in the Land because of the vow to TC.

I'm sure they have some intellectual fact in their head that they Ranyhyn feared TC. But he was the white gold wielder. The great horses reared. That's all the Ramen need to know.

I can't think of a specific quote that might belie this. Though we have gotten more about the Ramen in just any one book of the last chonicles than we did in all the six books of the first two chronicles combined.

I think we were also told that KelenB bared his through to the Render's teeth. Always took Lord Foul to be his own Render in that case. That is the Ramen title for Fangthane, right?
That's a pretty good write-up..
But I can clear one thing up for you, it was revealed in the Last Chrons that the Demondim were referred to as the 'Teeth of the Render'.. The Render is Fangthane, of course..
But the 'Render's teeth' could be either Fangthane's own teeth or the Demondim..

It would be easier if we understood when exactly this sacrifice by Kelenbhrabanal occurred.. If the Demondim were involved it would have to have been before Berek and Loric, and could concievably been thousands of years before then.
Forgive my death.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by shadowbinding shoe »

ninjaboy wrote:
SGuilfoyle1966 wrote:On the theory that Martiir attributes the fear of the Ranyhyn of Sarangrave to the lurker being the render of KelenB, and the response that they also fear TC, so might he have also rended KelenB.

That's a pretty good write-up..
But I can clear one thing up for you, it was revealed in the Last Chrons that the Demondim were referred to as the 'Teeth of the Render'.. The Render is Fangthane, of course..
But the 'Render's teeth' could be either Fangthane's own teeth or the Demondim..

It would be easier if we understood when exactly this sacrifice by Kelenbhrabanal occurred.. If the Demondim were involved it would have to have been before Berek and Loric, and could concievably been thousands of years before then.
Weren't the Demondim created after Berek's time? When Linden goes to that time the Viles are still there trying to make sense of what they learned in the Land. The Viles were still there when his grandson Loric (Vile-Silencer) came along so the Demondim were probably made during Loric's time or his father at the earliest.

The killing of Kelenbrabanal always seemed a much earlier event to me. Probably between the time the humans started cutting down the One Forest (because how could tainted wolves roam the upper Land when the One Forest was still suzerain there?) and Berek's time (because from the story it doesn't sound like there are humans in the upper Land yet.)
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

shadowbinding shoe wrote: Weren't the Demondim created after Berek's time? When Linden goes to that time the Viles are still there trying to make sense of what they learned in the Land. The Viles were still there when his grandson Loric (Vile-Silencer) came along so the Demondim were probably made during Loric's time or his father at the earliest.

The killing of Kelenbrabanal always seemed a much earlier event to me. Probably between the time the humans started cutting down the One Forest (because how could tainted wolves roam the upper Land when the One Forest was still suzerain there?) and Berek's time (because from the story it doesn't sound like there are humans in the upper Land yet.)
This makes sense to me. The Viles didn't set to work until after they started down the corrupted path...so made the Demondim sometime between Linden's encounter with them and Loric silencing them...there's a little wiggle room, Viles "talk" sounded a bit bent already when Linden was there...but they didn't sound fallen yet, just uncertain.

And I, too, think Kel's death more truly ancient, pre-Lords...I'm not sure that the One Forest is a limit on the bottom end, because of where the plains are, nor the lack of humans in the upper land either, necessarily...no reason the Ramen couldn't have come from elsewhere...IIRC there's a hint that the Ranhyn searched them out.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

My immediate thought on hearing the Ramen theory was that the Lurker wasn't literally the killer of the horse daddy, though they thought that. What I thought was far worse- the Lurker is K. Perhaps he wasn't slain outright, but perverted instead. That could certainly account for his single-mindedness for sensing the horses and their fear of him. Just a wild theory that popped into my head when I read that theory of the Ramen.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”