The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Post by Cagliostro »

Trailer

I'm a big Gilliam fan, and his track record of late hasn't been especially good. Please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good please be good...
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

This is the movie that Heath Ledger was making when he passed away. Gilliam and quite a few others kicked in to make this movie work after that. I hope it's as good as it deserves to be.
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

It actually looks good...but funny that to me, the parts in the "real" world drew me in a lot more than the parts in the 'imaginary' world that are introduced with Ledger.
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

If you don't mind spoilers, Harry of Aint it Cool, saw it in Cannes and wrote a review.
Gist: pure Gilliam magic that is not for all...

:)
(for me, yes!)
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Looks interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

8O oh
my god...

been avoiding it, but finally saw the trailer (www.smart.co.uk/dreams/parnteas.htm)

absolutely stunning.

i am all a shiver.

must see this.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Tom Waits looks sick in this movie.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

agrred.

wait, you mean 'sick' in a good way, don't you..? like the darn kidspeak of these days...

:biggrin:
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Both. :P
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

OK, so I finally saw it. whew.
Ansd my mind is still abuzz... Like classic Gilliam movies like 'Brazil', this is stuffed with so much, visually and in dialogue, that it begs for a second viewing. The 'problem' is that this is not a movie for everyone. It is a tough watch, mainly because it switches back and forth between stunning visual sequences to long dialogue scenes, and the former are so powerful and riviting, that the dialogue scenes seem to stop the movie ... I am not sure if this is just the over influence of viewing styles from such movies as Transformers, Star Trek, Bourne, etc... or if there was a better way of organizing this.
The performances from the cast are astounding. This is King Lear meets Baron Munchausen. The seemless casting of Depp, Law, and Farell is amazing! Plummer is fantastic as the title character. Waits is amazing as the Devil and, WOW! Lily Cole is stunningly beautiful and a pretty darn good actor.
I give this movie a very positive 7.5 out of 10.
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Stupid film doesn't open here until the 8th. I'm bouncing up and down like a kid that's gotta pee.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

wayfriend wrote:This is the movie that Heath Ledger was making when he passed away. Gilliam and quite a few others kicked in to make this movie work after that. I hope it's as good as it deserves to be.
Heath Ledger is starting to remind me of Tupac.
Somehow he keeps putting movies out after his death.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

I really enjoyed it. Gilliam did a great job with the visuals as well as the characters. I was impressed with the character interaction and the dialog. It all seemed pretty natural. Despite the fantastic elements of the film, the characters were normal. I could relate with them.
Waits (Nick) was fun to watch as the tempter. I don't really care for his music, but his movie characters (usually bit parts) never let me down. Plummer (Parnassus) was perfect as the easily seduced victim fated to succumb to the devil no matter what. I liked Parnassus. Despite his immortality and extraordinary powers, he was no better than any man. Over the course of centuries, he simply could not walk away from Nick. No matter how good or bad things were, Parnassus would always be tempted by Nick.
I thought Depp, Law and Farrell did a great job as the imaginarium versions of Ledger's character. Even after I saw Depp's face it took a few minutes for it to register that it wasn't Ledger on the screen.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

It's finally showing near me, meaning I can go see it this weekend!

I checked a week ago and, with no showtimes listed, I was afraid I had missed it already :(
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Saw this on cable. It was fantastic! I didn't even know what I was watching at first, I just like the outfits. Then I was hooked.
Not really sure what the guy at the end was supposed to represent though.
Just someone that the Devil wanted dead?
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Yeah, my interpretation was that
Spoiler
Ledger's character has escaped the Devil too many times, and the whole bargain with Parnassus and the designs on his daughter were red herrings to enable the Devil to get what he wanted- the Hanged Man
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

Cambo wrote:Yeah, my interpretation was that
Spoiler
Ledger's character has escaped the Devil too many times, and the whole bargain with Parnassus and the designs on his daughter were red herrings to enable the Devil to get what he wanted- the Hanged Man

Yeah, the Devil knew Tony was a slippery one and he wanted him out of the picture.

Early on he told Parnassus that Tony was bad news. I think it was after the Imaginarium sequence with Johhny Depp when the Devil got a good look at Tony on the river. Apparently the Devil didn't like Tony meddling in his fun and games with Parnassus.

Near the end when the Devil makes the deal with Parnassus he makes the comment to Parnassus that "that one" (referring to Tony) has gotten away too many times.
Spoiler
As the dead Tony is hanging from the noose at the end, the Devil grabs something from Tony's pocket but I couldn't make out what it was. Does anyone have any ideas?
Last edited by Tulizar on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I don't remember seeing that...good excuse for a re-watch!

(your spoiler tag isn't really a spoiler tag...)
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Return to “Flicks”