Earthquakes & Tsunamis

Archive From The 'Tank
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Earthquakes & Tsunamis

Post by Avatar »

Wow...bad one in Japan, affecting a lot more places. 8.9 magnatude...big enough to be picked up by every seismograph in the world.

10m tsunami. Japan devastated.
Japan Devastated By Tsunami

Tokyo - The biggest earthquake on record to hit Japan rocked the northeast coast on Friday, triggering a 10m tsunami that killed hundreds of people and swept away everything in its path, including houses, ships and cars.

The Red Cross in Geneva said the wall of water was higher than some Pacific islands and a tsunami warning was issued for almost the entire Pacific basin, although alerts were lifted for some countries, including Taiwan, Australia and New Zealand.

Up to 300 bodies were found in the coastal city of Sendai, media said. NHK television said the victims appeared to have drowned.

The extent of the destruction along a lengthy stretch of coastline suggested the death toll could rise significantly.

Some 3 000 residents living near a nuclear plant in Fukushima prefecture, north of Tokyo, were told to evacuate but the government said no radiation was leaking. It said the evacuation was a precaution after a reactor cooling malfunction.

Emergency budget

Other nuclear power plants and oil refineries were shut down after the 8.9 magnitude quake, while one refinery was ablaze. A major explosion hit a petrochemical complex in Miyagi prefecture after the quake, Kyodo said.

Political leaders pushed for an emergency budget to help fund relief efforts after Prime Minister Naoto Kan asked them to "save the country", Kyodo news agency reported.

Stunning TV footage showed a muddy wall of water carrying cars and wrecked homes at high speed across farmland near Sendai, home to one million people and which lies 300km northeast of Tokyo.

Ships had been flung onto a harbour wharf, where they lay helplessly on their side.

The quake, the most powerful since Japan started keeping records 140 years ago, sparked at least 80 fires in cities and towns along the coast, Kyodo news agency said.

A ship carrying 100 people had been swept away by the tsunami, Kyodo said. One train was unaccounted for.

Shares fall, factories shut

In Tokyo, residents who had earlier fled swaying buildings jammed the streets trying to make their way home after much of the city's public transportation was shut down.

Electronics giant Sony Corp, one of the country's biggest exporters, shut six factories, as air force jets raced toward the northeast coast to determine the extent of the damage.

The Bank of Japan, which has been struggling to boost the anaemic economy, said it would do its utmost to ensure financial market stability as the yen and Japanese shares fell.

"I was terrified and I'm still frightened," said Hidekatsu Hata, 36, manager of a Chinese noodle restaurant in Tokyo, where buildings shook violently. "I've never experienced such a big quake before."

The tsunami alerts revived memories of the giant waves which struck Asia in 2004. The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre issued alerts for countries to the west and across the Pacific as far away as Colombia and Peru.

The earthquake was the fifth most powerful to hit the world in the past century.

There were several strong aftershocks. In Tokyo, there was widespread panic. An oil refinery near the city was on fire, with dozens of storage tanks under threat.

People flood streets

Around 4.4 million homes were without power in northern Japan, media said.

"People are flooding the streets. It's incredible. Everyone is trying to get home but I didn't see any taxis," said Koji Goto, a 43-year-old Tokyo resident.

NHK television showed flames and black smoke billowing from a building in Odaiba, a Tokyo suburb, and bullet trains to the north of the country were halted. Thick smoke was also pouring out of an industrial area in Yokohama's Isogo area.

TV showed residents of the city running out of shaking buildings, shielding their heads with their hands from falling masonry.

TV footage showed boats, cars and trucks tossed around like toys in the water after a small tsunami hit the town of Kamaichi in northern Japan. An overpass, location unknown, appeared to have collapsed and cars were turning around and speeding away.

"The building shook for what seemed a long time and many people in the newsroom grabbed their helmets and some got under their desks," Reuters correspondent Linda Sieg said in Tokyo.

"It was probably the worst I have felt since I came to Japan more than 20 years ago."

Terrifying experience

The US navy said its ships had been unaffected by the tsunami and were ready to provide disaster relief if needed. China offered to provide earthquake relief.

The quake surpasses the Great Kanto quake of September 1 1923, which had a magnitude of 7.9 and killed more than 140 000 people in the Tokyo area.

The 1995 Kobe quake caused $100bn in damage and was the most expensive natural disaster in history. Economic damage from the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami was estimated at about $10bn.

Passengers on a subway line in Tokyo screamed and grabbed other passengers' hands during the quake. The shaking was so bad it was hard to stand, said Reuters reporter Mariko Katsumura.

Hundreds of office workers and shoppers spilled into Hitotsugi street, a shopping street in Akasaka in downtown Tokyo.

Quakes common in Japan

Crowds gathered in front of televisions in a shop next to the drugstore for details.

After the shaking from the first quake subsided, crowds watched and pointed to construction cranes on an office building up the street with voices saying: "They're still shaking!", "Are they going to fall?"

Japan's northeast Pacific coast, called Sanriku, has suffered from quakes and tsunamis in the past and a 7.2 quake struck on Wednesday. In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3 000 people.

Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20% of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.
--A
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I must say I find it a bit tragic when the cost in life serves as a vaulting point for the media and special interests, especially the anti-nuclear power brigade who'd happily see another Chernobyl (on the other side of the world of course) to further their cause.

Headlines of nuclear meltdown and so called expert doomsaying does nothing to report the facts, lower the levels of panic or assist, by not adding more problems to the heap that the authorities already have to deal with in Japan.
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"

Post by Avatar »

Been bad though. Already several hydrogen explosions from one of the plants.

--A
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Not quite sure what's going on now, but apparently radiation levels were reduced drastically.

What's pretty bad is some people are politicizing this all ready. Heard some old farts talking, saying, "Well, where was the world when that there Katrina happened? They didn't give us money so why should we help them?"

*sigh* :roll:
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Can someone explain to me why we should send Japan aid (or New Zealand, or Chile, or Haiti for that matter)? We're broke.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

After seeing how the billions which were supposed to go to Haiti never got there, and how the millions which actually went there made zero difference, I'm a lot less inclined to donate than before.

Japan is a different story. I think they would actually put the money to good use, and not simply steal it.

I was really pleased to hear that no looting was done in Japan. It's really embarrassing to think that our own people were raping, looting, shooting at rescue helicopters, etc. when Katrina happened. Just pathetic.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

not to be an ass - but isn't japan in the top five of world economies?

i will go with cail - why are we sending them money.

and why hasn't falwell blamed the disaster on japan because of their pervy ways? and non Christian religions?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Falwell's dead, Sarge. You're thinking of Pat Robertson. :lol:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Besides, Beck has all ready done it

mediamatters.org/blog/201103140010
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

Arkansas has had 600+ earthquakes this year. Small ones, sure, but the largest was 4.7

The plates are shifting a little, that's all.

Expect more.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Hmmmm........... Japan has apparently shifted 8 feet and the Earth's axis has shifted 4 inches.....so I heard!
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

aliantha wrote:Falwell's dead, Sarge. You're thinking of Pat Robertson. :lol:
sorry - i got my fear-mongering "religious" leaders mixed up.

hard to keep track of them sometimes.

:oops:
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Cail wrote:Can someone explain to me why we should send Japan aid (or New Zealand, or Chile, or Haiti for that matter)? We're broke.
Because Japan helped us when we were in need?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_res ... ne_Katrina
Love as thou wilt.

Post by Avatar »

Orlion wrote:"Well, where was the world when that there Katrina happened? They didn't give us money so why should we help them?"
More than 100 countries, and 11 international organisations, offered either financial or material aid to the US when Katrina happened.

Less than 5% of it was actually accepted and used.

--A
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

duchess of malfi wrote:
Cail wrote:Can someone explain to me why we should send Japan aid (or New Zealand, or Chile, or Haiti for that matter)? We're broke.
Because Japan helped us when we were in need?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_res ... ne_Katrina
So?

I mean that's nice that they did, but the economic situation is drastically different now.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Orlion wrote:"Well, where was the world when that there Katrina happened? They didn't give us money so why should we help them?"
More than 100 countries, and 11 international organisations, offered either financial or material aid to the US when Katrina happened.

Less than 5% of it was actually accepted and used.

--A
You're right, Av.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

If MMT is correct, as seems to be the consensus around here, then Japan can just print its way out of this mess and doesn't need any money from anyone, because it has an unlimited supply of its own currency. Right?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

finn wrote:Hmmmm........... Japan has apparently shifted 8 feet and the Earth's axis has shifted 4 inches.....so I heard!
Every major earthquake does this. The movement changes the distribution of mass in the Earth, which directly impacts both axis tilt and the rotational period (our day is now something like 1.4 microseconds shorter).

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:If MMT is correct, as seems to be the consensus around here, then Japan can just print its way out of this mess and doesn't need any money from anyone, because it has an unlimited supply of its own currency. Right?
I am not even going to argue against MMT. I would rather let people who believe in it ruin the world for themselves and then tell them "see? I told you so".

The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Zarathustra wrote:If MMT is correct, as seems to be the consensus around here, then Japan can just print its way out of this mess and doesn't need any money from anyone, because it has an unlimited supply of its own currency. Right?
And I could tell you where you've made wrong assumptions, but you clearly don't care to know, so I'll just say if you had read even the first page of the MMT thread, you'd know something was wrong with your statement.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley

Return to “Coercri”