TCTC Quote Game

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

TCTC Quote Game

Post by duchess of malfi »

I am going to post a quote from somewhere in the Chronicles. The first person who guesses who said it and where gets to post the next quote! And so it can go from there. :D
I'll make the first one easy!
There is no accusation which can raise its finger against us
Any takers?? :D
Love as thou wilt.

Satansheart
Stonedownor

Pimps....

Post by Satansheart »

Bannor said it in LFB during chapter 14. The Council of Lords.
What?
Without warning, her words hit him in the face like ice water.
Satansheart
Stonedownor

Next quote.

Post by Satansheart »

"I beg - do not shame me in the eyes of my whole life."
What?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Come on guys -- no one even has a guess at Satansheart's quote?? :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I thought it might have been Verement at the battle of Dooms Retreat - when he was arguing with Mhoram to stay behind to hold the forbidding. But I looked it up and that isn't it.

For some reason it strikes a chord with the second chrons, but I'm also thinking of one of the female lords at Revelstone in The Power that Preserves, or maybe Lena when she stated her desire to go with Covenant to Foul's Creche. I'll have to look those up, though.

I'm usually much much better with quotes and events and character names and such - I'm one of the ones who's read the entire series well over a dozen times. But this one is a stumper.
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
Loki

Post by Loki »

That was Lena- TPTP, Chapter 8-- Lena's marriage proposal to TC.

"I cannot! How could I look into her face--answer questions--after this? Do not torment me!"
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

OK, Loki -- you get to post the next one!
Love as thou wilt.

Satansheart
Stonedownor

Post by Satansheart »

Well done Loki.
What?
Loki

Post by Loki »

Ok, who said it:

"Melenkurion!, I cannot! How could I look into her face- answer questions-after this? Do not torment me!"

Post by Guest »

Ooooh! What a cool idea for a game on here! Too bad I don't have a clue about any of these! :? The only one I'd be able to get would "Don't touch me" which is all through the middle of the One Tree :? :roll: :? Or maybe "Be true" or one of the quotes that is also a name of a chapter! Ha...
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

That was me up there :oops:

Pie and Cake
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Sounds like it could Atiaran after TC told her that he'd raped Lena in LFB. I don't have the books to hand (I'm on a night shift at work), so I can't be sure.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Loki wrote:Ok, who said it:

"Melenkurion!, I cannot! How could I look into her face- answer questions-after this? Do not torment me!"
Triock in TPTP?
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Thing 1: Hello all, it's nice to be back here at last. Due to technical problems, I've been unable to conect to the internet at all since Thanksgiving. I have so much to catch up on! 8O

Thing 2: I believe this was Trell in TIW, responding to HT's query as to whether he would be returning to Mithil Stonedown, after Elena asked Covenant to accompany her on her quest
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Loki

Post by Loki »

Birdandbear, you are correct! Your turn for a quote...
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Okay, here it is...

"Faith is a way of living. They have dedicated themselves wholly to the services of the land. And they have sworn the Oath of Peace - commited themselves to serve the great goal of their lives in only certain ways, to choose death rather than submit to the destruction of passion which blinded High Lord Kevin and brought the Desecration. Come - can you believe that Lord Mhoram will ever despair? That is the essence of the Oath of Peace. He will never despair, nor do what despair commands - murder, desecrate, destroy. And he will never falter, because his Lordship, his service to the Land, will sustain him. Service enables service."

:oops: Okay, so the last thing I read on the old Forum was the Oath of Peace thread...
anyway, this entire conversation has always been one of my very favorite parts of the Chronicles. :)

Any takers?
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Very odd. I planned on replying just to say "well done" to birdandbear. But when I look below as I'm typing this, at the "Topic review", I see another post by birdandbear which was not visible before I hit Reply. In case my post makes it but birdandbear's never does, here's the quote that she's giving us:
"Faith is a way of living. They have dedicated themselves wholly to the services of the land. And they have sworn the Oath of Peace - commited themselves to serve the great goal of their lives in only certain ways, to choose death rather than submit to the destruction of passion which blinded High Lord Kevin and brought the Desecration. Come - can you believe that Lord Mhoram will ever despair? That is the essence of the Oath of Peace. He will never despair, nor do what despair commands - murder, desecrate, destroy. And he will never falter, because his Lordship, his service to the Land, will sustain him. Service enables service."
And the answer is Foamfollower to Covenant in LFB, chapter <I>A question of Hope</I>. I like this quote. It reminds me of Mhoram's thoughts in TPTP:
He was a fighter, a man born to fight for the Land. As long as something for which he could fight remained, he was impervious to terror. And something did remain; while he lived, at least one flame of love for the Land still burned. He could fight for that.
Both quotes are a circular idea. Amazing that Mhoram's love for the Land is the thing that sustains his love for the land.

And my quote to test you all is my signature quote below:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I'm not completely sure, but I think it was Mhoram in PTP?
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror
Blackhawk
Bloodguard

Post by Blackhawk »

Fist and Faith: We are not required to save the world. We are required to stand up as truly as we can for what we love. -SRD
My first guess would be be Brinn or Cail?

Sounds like something that Mhoram would say..if not him then Callendrill during Covenants Brief visit?

if its from Fatal Revenant (my sig says it all) is this from the GI or a forward in one of the books?
jacob Raver, sinTempter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by jacob Raver, sinTempter »

I don't think it was from FR...we'lll have to wait for Fist to see the thread..
Sunshine Music
Deep Music
"I'm gonna eat your brains and gain your knowledge." - Tony Block, Planet Terror

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”