New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I own all of them now muahahahahahaha!
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Silents have been revealed in the latest trailer:

Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

That's just creepy!

Really looking forward to this season. (and Torchwood in July) I hope the powers-that-be are wise enough to include the prequels on the dvd set. While the commentary is nice, and the video diary is interesting; I would rather have the prequels to episodes slotted back into original place.

Give us the "directors cut" of such episodes in the special features section. There's plenty of room for aired broadcast and dc stories. Also the children-in-need or red-dot specials should be included.

Anywho.... gonna be good!
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Dear god, I love the Silents! Best Doctor Who enemy in a long long time.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Yeah, they were good. Reminded me of the Gentlemen in Buffy.

Now I wonder if "The silence will fall" is actually a prophecy better rendered: The Silents will fall".

Could it be they are a formidible foe, yet entirely overpowered by the voice in the Tardis?

Season looks really, really good.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Tenara
Stonedownor

Post by Tenara »

Wow ....

Any theories on who the girl is?
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Tenara wrote:Wow ....

Any theories on who the girl is?
There's a theory for about every combination, LOL.

First Ep was really cool, anxiously awaiting Ep 2 in 5 hours.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I think that the Silents were behind the TARDIS exploding last season. Their ability would allow them to get into it easily. However, the voice saying "Silents will fall" does not sound like their voice, nor does it make sense for them to say it. However, I think that they may have said "Silence will fall". Support for this comes from the fact that the singer in the Christmas special mentions "silence" twice in her song, and the Fish/Vampire pretty much says the same thing. It's not "Silents". Besides, the statement "silents will fall" doesn't make much sense if it's referring to the alien species The Silents; shouldn't it be said "The Silents will fall"? However, it's not their voice.

There's apparently a couple of scenes in season 5 where you can tell someone in the TARDIS sees something, reacts, looks away and then acts normal. That suggests the Silents are in the machine. Although I have yet to find these clips.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"Silence will fall" is how I've heard it, repeated multiple times right from the very first episode of the new doctor (prisoner X).
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I am watching it now on BBC America.
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Okay, I was completely off. They are called the Silence (plural. Individual: Silent). Further, they weren't in the TARDIS at all. Something else is going on. So, when you hear "Silence will Fall", it's referring to the Silence, despite the grammatical oddity.
Tenara
Stonedownor

Post by Tenara »

Knowing how our new writer likes to play around so much with the whole space/time thing (especially time), I think I'm going to have to get the last season on DVD and keep the current season clogging up my Sky box. Then I can watching them over and over again looking for continuity errors that aren't! I'm determined I'm going to have at least SOME idea of where it's going when it gets to the finale this time.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So, interesting stuff in the latest episode. Looks like this will be the thing that gets resolved in the season finale.

A girl (potentially Amy's daughter) somehow ends up in an orphanage in the 60s, and the Silents put her into a space suit for some unknown purpose. She's stronger than a normal human, and able to regenerate like a time lord. Since she dies around Dec 1969/Jan 1970 and regenerates, we don't know what she will look like if she reappears.

The scene where the astronaut suit, with someone in it (though we don't know who, really, do we?), killing the 1100 year old doctor, also needs to be considered. He knew it was coming, accepted it, and knew the person who was in the suit. He told Canton more than he told the others, as 2011 Canton was able to confirm that he was the Doctor and was dead pretty confidently. He expected and wanted the killing to occur.

River's comment about how even one cell from the Doctor's body would be sought after by many people could be significant. The Silent present at his death had an opportunity there to take something.

There was a Silent present at the killing of the Doctor, and Prisoner X in 2011 told the Doctor that Silence will fall as though the Silents were something in earth or the universe's future, not its past.

The Silents when they had Amy prisoner were using a device identical to the abandoned/lost ship in the episode "The Lodger", which was stated in that episode to be a primitive time engine that appeared to require a human (or near to human) pilot.

So there's something all tied together here about the Silents, Amy's pregnancy, the Doctor's death, and time travel. What we're missing is the answer as to why the Silents suddenly decided they needed to build a space suit for the girl, why the girl has the abilities she has, and who it was that wore the space suit to kill the Doctor.
Tenara
Stonedownor

Post by Tenara »

This might be a false lead, but there have been a few mentions of River having killed someone, and who she killed. All she said when she was asked about it - last season, I think - was "a very good man". As soon as I heard that, I immediately assumed she was talking about the Doctor.

But I think there will be a lot of twists yet. We've got plenty to come before the season finale. And the Doctor has a lot of enemies.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I considered it, but River didn't act like she knew what was happening and was just playing along in the death scene.

I'm not even sure if the photograph of Amy holding the baby isn't a red herring.

In terms of narrative structure, it occurs to me that they needed to show the Doctor beginning to regenerate so that viewers would immediately recognise what was happening to the girl in the final scene. In some ways the entire two parter is not about the Silents but about the introduction of that girl into the story. It's too tempting to say it is River Song, but I don't think it will turn out to be her.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Now I'm rethinking my theory; the Silent said "Silence will Fall", which indicates that the voice in the TARDIS was one of them. Which is no suprise, given their ability. But I am immensely curious of their plan.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Two episodes in a row, Amy has seen and heard a woman with a metal patch over one eye peering through a hatch, like the kind you'd see in a cell door. The hatch appears in places where no hatch exists. In the first instance, she looked at Amy, then turned to someone unseen and said "No, I think she's just dreaming". In the second, she was talking directly to Amy and telling her to stay calm.

So, theory: In a future episode, Amy will be held for study or treatment, and we will find out that these moments in the last two episodes were because she was reliving her past experiences while in this place, with the real world occasionally intruding. It'll be something to do with her pregnancy which seems to be some sort of uncertainty, and to do with why the Silents wanted her, and why the picture in the girl's room was Amy holding a baby.
Sunbaneglasses
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sunbaneglasses »

The Doctors Wife was great, my favorite Matt Smith episode. Good thing it was good because I feel that I am reaching my limit on how much I can be teased before I become annoyed. I hope that questions start getting answered soon and very few more are introduced. The plot is getting too thick for my liking.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Well it was a one shot, and written by Neil Gaiman, too, so it was going to be good.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

The Doctor's Wife definitely my favourite so far - but as Murrin mentioned, what else would you expect from an episode written by Neil Gaiman?

'The only water in the forest is the river' - mean anything?

And it looks like the next episode will have another of those faces peering through a slot in the wall. As well as some cool baddies.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>

Return to “TV Shows”