What are you listening to?

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

".. I get locked into a little room two stories underground with these huge laminar flow hoods blowing in my face, and get virtually no human contact for hours at a time.." - Remind me to not go looking for a job there ;)

"..i'm still waiting for Vain to acknowledge my Carly Simon reference... bad as it was..." - I remmeber I was in two minds as to whether you meant:

"You're so vain
You probably think this song is about you
You're so vain
I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you? "

or....because of what you said "song running through my head"..I thought maybe:

"Let the river run,
let all the dreamers
wake the nation.
Come, the New Jerusalem. "

That was part of the music for the movie 9 to 5 (If I remember correctly) and it's one of those I actually enjoy :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I can now sleep easier. :lol:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

*LOL* So which one was it?
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Danlo, I think that it's probably a lot easier for you to get Native American music out where you live than it is for me around here. :wink: Nevertheless, I will keep my eyes out for the artisits you mentioned whenever I go to Borders. :D And failing that, we're tentatively going out West to go camping in June, (depends on my employer, who is weird on granting vacation time) so maybe I can pick up some CD's out there! :D

Vain, if you have any pictures of yourself during your punk rock phase, please put one in the gallery! I'm really curious about how far you went! Did you put safety pins in your face and stuff like that??? 8O You and I are close in age, by the way. I think we're some of the senior citizens around here. :lol: And no, no pictures still exist of me in my trashy looking lingerie phase back when Prince was popular. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

duchess of malfi wrote:Fist and Faith, yes, I've heard of the band Nickel Creek. They're pretty good, but last summer we went down to the back of beyond, sort of where Virginia, Kentucky, and West Virginia all come together to do some family history research, and I picked up a bunch of CD's from some really raw bluegrass stuff, straight from the source. WOW! 8O
That must be <B>really</B> great!!
duchess of malfi wrote:I also listen to Nickel Back. :wink:
I thought it was kinda funny that I really like songs by two "nickel" bands at the same time. How often can that happen??
duchess of malfi wrote:But my all time favorite song in any form of music would have to be Beethoven's Ninth. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Not a bad choice :D Even without the famous movement, it is pretty fantastic. Actually, though, I prefer his string quartets. IMO, they are the greatest music this world has ever seen. Bach is my favorite composer overall, but Beethoven's quartets.... DAMN!!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Ah. Beethoven. :D
Now I'm in the mood to watch Immortal Beloved again. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Beethoven's quartets are awesome. I'm going to put in a good word though for Schubert's String Quintet. It's IMHO the best single piece of chamber music.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I won't argue with you on Schubert's quintet. Beyond belief! It's always mentioned with the very best chamber music. Mozart's viola quintets too, but I prefer Schubert to Mozart by a long shot. Schubert's songs and song cycles..... DAMN!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Well, this is what I was listening to during the infamous week of the Siege of Revelstone:
(it is my green wallet, which I think I will call my Vain wallet from now on, because there's a lot of 80's stuff in it).

Peter Gabriel -- So
Living in Oblivion -- 5 discs of 80's hits by various artists |V
Sixpence None the Richer
Sarah McLaughlin -- 3 discs (Possession, Surfacing, and Mirror Ball)
City of Angels -- movie soundtrack
The Moody Blues -- greatest hits
Big Country -- best of
Prince -- greatest hits volume 1
Journey -- greatest hits
Styx -- classics
Madonna -- Ray of Light
Duran Duran -- greatest hits (yeah, baby! :wink: :twisted: )
Bananarama -- greatest hits
The Police -- Every Breath You Take -- the Classics
Tears for Fears -- Tears Roll Down, Greatest Hits
Starship -- Greatest Hits 1979-1991
The Who -- My Genereation, the best of
Living Colour -- Vivid
Love as thou wilt.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Tears for Fears rock. I'm especially enjoying their new stuff... just can't figure out why they're going by the name Saliva :twisted:
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Is it just me or does the Dave Matthews Band tend 2 grow on u? The more stuff they come out with, the more I like them. Almost like watching a fine wine mature...I also really like Coldplay, I think they'r from the UK, and sound a hecka alot like DMB. They'r the group that did the song "Yellow" and they have an xcellent new song on the radio, now...but I don't kno the name... :cry: :wink: :mrgreen:
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

It is not just you, Danlo. I used to not be able to stand them. Definately one of the few bands I've been glad get overplayed on the radio (despite my love of grunge, Pearl Jam is another).

Coldplay, however, is a different story with me. They're as pretentious as Radio Head without the talent. I've found their music to be way too slow and whiny. That being said, they seem to have a lot of critical success, and I could possibly won over in the future of media saturation that awaits this band.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Although I don't have any idea what the song was, I remember liking something from Dave Matthews Band's first album. But I LOVE <I>The Space Between</I>!! One of my very favorite songs!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

This week's work wallet (and the most popular with my coworkers, believe it or not, even the acid rock fan!)

Star Wars Episode 1 soundtrack
Mozart Overtures
Oklahoma Broadway cast recording
Phantom of the Opera Broadway cast recording (2 disks)
Cats Broadway cast recording
Man of La Mancha Broadway cast recording
South Pacific Broadway cast recording
Sound of Music movie soundtrack
Madrigal Masterpieces of the Renaissance in France, Italy & England
some American patriotic tunes
Rachmaninoof symphony #2 (it's musical sex complete with orgasm :twisted: )
London Philharmonic performing Russian Showpieces
Les Miserables Broadway cast recording (2 discs)
Evita London cast recording (2 discs)
Rent Broadway cast recording (2 discs)
A Chorus Line Broadway cast recording
Caberet broadway cast recording
Titanic movie soundtrack
Carolan's Welcome (Irish harp musci)
Mozart -- some sonatas

we have sing alongs with the Broadway stuff :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

i'm sensing a predominant theme...

the madrigal masterpieces sound good, as does the rachmaninoff and the irish harp music (being irish, i tend to enjoy anything irish despite never being exposed to much growing up).

i bought the titanic soundtrack when it came out and it really ticked me off. there were two irish reels in the movie (below decks scenes), and neither one was on there.

and speaking of irish stuff and di caprio, i saw gangs of new york a couple nights back. pretty good really. leo did a fair job, but daniel day lewis... damn. he stole the show. it's too bad this movie didn't come out a couple of years ago; i could've used it for my sociology (soc 376 - the community) class.
-George Steiner
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

duchess of malfi wrote:Rachmaninoof symphony #2 (it's musical sex complete with orgasm :twisted: )
You take this music to work? Your workplace sounds more interesting than mine. :twisted: :)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I blast it at work, honey! :wink: Of course, im usually locked into a little room by myself two stories underground, too. :?

When I'm with the others, that's when the Broadway and jazz and more innocent things go on the CD player. :lol:

Listen to the second movement, you'll hear exactly what I'm talking about! :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

duchess of malfi wrote:Rachmaninoof symphony #2 (it's musical sex complete with orgasm :twisted: )
I love music. I love sex. What a great combination! :D :D :D You might want to check out Wagner's Prelude to <I>Tristan und Isolde</I>. There are a hundred cd's of Wagner's preludes and overtures.

You might also recognize the overture to <I>Tannhauser</I> from the <B>classic</B> Bugs Bunny episode <I>What's Opera Doc?</I>. That's the episode with "Kill the rabbit, kill the rabbit." Although <I>Tannhauser</I> is the music when they're saying, "Oh Brunhilde, you're so lovely." "Yes I know it. I can't help it." The music for "Kill the rabbit" is <I>Ride of the Valkyrie</I>, which is also on many of these cd's.

But getting back to <I>Tristan</I>, it is the first piece of music I know of that was intentionally composed to be a musical depiction of the sex act. All the way from some gentle caressing and soft kisses. <B>Quite</B> a piece!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I'm listening to the Mummer's Dance, by Loreena McKennitt. It is so cool.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Oh, that is a GREAT GREAT GREAT cd!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
I love her stuff!!!
She's from a little town in Ontario about two hours from where I live, even though she sounds like she's from Ireland. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Return to “Vespers”