Jeremiah is the ultimate weapon?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

SkurjMaster
<i>Elohim</i>

Jeremiah is the ultimate weapon?

Post by SkurjMaster »

Dear Watchers,

What are your thoughts on Jeremiah as the ultimate weapon against Despite?

Every character in the LC's has a reason to loathe themselves, at one point or another. Joan because of her rejection of TC. TC because of his rejection by everyone. Linden because of her inner capacity of death and evil. Roger, maybe because of powerlessness. But what about Jeremiah?

Is he the ultimate weapon because of his as-yet ambiguous relation to the Necessity of Freedom?
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Post by TheFallen »

Hmmm. That's one to ponder.

I'm next to certain that Jeremiah with his Rainman-style gift of building constructs of the highest power is going to prove central to the conclusion. Let's face it, not much could protect against a really upset Elohim like Infelice aka Tinkerbell - but his bone shelter is completely immune to all she can throw at it. No other "normal" character has shown themselves proof against the Elohim, but Jeremiah can make himself such.

I think the fact that Jeremiah has unlocked the door to his own mind by the end of AATE is crucial - beforehand, he was incapable of involvement and therefore entirely powerless (except admittedly in the boneyard of the Quellvisk, where he was able to do one thing... release himself) - and as we already know, only the powerful can be redeemed, or indeed redeem.

Now that Jeremiah has found himself, he presumably has gained free will and with it, the necessity of freedom. Mind you, he's only 15 and one wonders whether at that tender age, SRD is going to give him the role of making choices that will either preserve or damn. Because of his youth, it feels a little like he could not in fairness be held totally accountable for whatever decisions he may now make. Because he's young, he has a level of innocence - and moreso because he's spent so long entirely uninvolved and inactive within what's transpired in either world. In SRD's worlds, innocence does not lead to power.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess.
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" :roll:

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ninjaboy »

I don't know about him being 'the ultimate weapon' and I honestly don't like to think of him as a weapon at all.
He may prove to have the best answer to despite.. And how his building skills can save the Land I'm not 100% sure. But either way, whatever happens from here on in will also be determined by TC, LA, Roger and Kastenesssen, SHE and the Worm, not just Jeremiah and the Grey Slayer.
Forgive my death.
It was my flesh that failed you, not my love.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

he's obviously important, of course. I think one key is: LF DOES see him as a weapon, and so do the Elohim. Linden and TC don't.
BUT: his previous problem [isolation] was because he was protecting himself...making him vulnerable in one way.
now, he's out of that...which makes him vulnerable in another way...and that vulnerability is actually even greater as a direct result of the protection he gave himself in the beginning.
In a way, he grew up in a "clean room," so he didn't get sick, but didn't have much chance to learn/do anything. Now he's free to do stuff...but his resistance is incredibly weak, cuz he wasn't exposed to anything.

I predict he will face a rock/hard place decision that, due to the above he is ill-equipped to deal with...save something he loves, that serves evil, or watch what he loves die, to serve good. [it will really be more complicated than that...but he will not be able to see it].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

" I Did It! " Spoken by Jerry to his Mom. Freedom, rather than innocence , appears to be the emphasis. Yes, Jerry is Free of all that ,not only what is loathsome about themselves but the ability to be loathsome. He is Free of a lot of " things" that serve to encumber. The metaphor of rising from a graveyard mind,,being reborn,,free of the life draining Croyel..excellent imho.

So, yea..how he handles all that is coming his and the gang's way..could be an exposition of what he is Free of. It will be interesting,,what parameters , if any, the author places on the character.Jerry's talent appears to be engineering,,creating and building constructs. If that evolves to building a whole new Land, then maybe "weapon" isn't the right word . Leader or Example may be closer to what the author intends. We'll see. How cool would it be..if he attained freedom from all that is " the Land" And the author's " real" reality?
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

As far as limits on his power, he needs specific materials.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

He's not a weapon, weapons are used to destroy. Instead, he's a proto-creator.

:!!!:
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Orlion wrote:As far as limits on his power, he needs specific materials.
Yes he does...which is why I have a dozen potential plot-paths in my head, and new ones popping in practically daily...cuz there's a spare White Gold ring around...
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

earthbrah wrote:He's not a weapon, weapons are used to destroy. Instead, he's a proto-creator.

Yup. The first time in the Last Chronicles that the arch of time was mentioned I thought to myself, "Maybe Jeremiah will build a new arch of time or augment the first one so the white gold can go unlimited and snuff foul out for good."
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

What is it that TC says to Linden (in his head not out loud I think)... Something about nothing she's ever said to Jeremiah was ever unheard or that her love was never not felt.
It was beautiful and I think a powerful statement hinting at the bond that Jeremiah and Linden are going to have.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Chrisdh
Servant of the Land

Post by Chrisdh »

(newbie delurking to note that...)

It does seem that Jeremiah is going to be the key to the eventual resolution of this.

If just using his build-prisons-out-of-stuff powers to cage the Worm isn't the answer - the characters seem to disagree as to whether that's a good idea - then we've been told what his ultimate role is going to be.

If it's true that Foul's been keeping him around to cage the Creator after the breaking of the Arch of Time, then Jeremiah can also cage Foul. Ending Foul's efforts to escape his rather pleasant prison in the Land by putting him into a less pleasant, more escape-proof prison would have a certain irony to it.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

earthbrah wrote:He's not a weapon, weapons are used to destroy. Instead, he's a proto-creator.

Right. So far we've seen him build portals and traps. I'll be interested to see if he discovers a new type of construct in the fourth book or if those two specific types of construct give us the ultimate clue to what his role will be.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!

Return to “Against All Things Ending”