Linden is wallowing too much in self pity.

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I think Linden's resurrection of Covenant and Covenant's bargain with Elena had very similar motivations and outcomes. They both want someone else to take their place, assume their burden of saving the world. Linden just wants to save her son. Covenant just wanted to get the Hellfire out of there.

Covenant's bargain turned out to have immediately disastrous, but ultimately essential, consequences. Without Elena's death, it's unlikely Covenant would have had the motivation to go to Foul's Creche and kick some ass. Without Elena breaking the Law of Death, he wouldn't have been able to repeat the act under Mount Thunder 3 1/2 thousand years later.

I think Linden's resurrection of TC will be similar, although the stakes are clearly the highest they've ever been.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

Vraith,
Vraith wrote:I've said this otherwhere, [long in the past, and just a few minutes ago, and in between]...and I'll probably say some more.
Anyone is perfectly free to dislike Linden...but self-pity is demonstrably false unless you want to redefine it.
Her anger at Covenant when he asked her not to Touch him after rescuing her from the clutches of SWMNBN wasn't self-pitying? Covenant explained his reasons for not wanting to be touched a couple of times but she continued to whine and be angry about Covenant's request.

That's self-pity, in my humble opinion. I will acknowledge that self-pity and despair are kissing cousins at least. That said if she's wallowing in despair how can she accomplish anything?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Not sure about self-pity, but that whole sequence made me want to slap the pair of them. Probably because it's so damn typical of them. :lol: (remember the first half of WGW?)
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Return to “Against All Things Ending”