Cars 2

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Cars 2

Post by Harbinger »

Cars 2 will be coming out 6/24/10. I expect it will be huge and I expect it to eclipse the original as well as all other Pixar movies at least in US gross. Several critics called it (the original) weak by Pixar standards but conceded that it was still pretty good. And of course most critics liked it. Having some knowledge of cars and people associated with industries related to cars will definitely enhance the viewing experience. It's a little deeper than many Pixar films, but the animation of the cars (they look so friendly) and the masterful voices are what really make the movie. Of course Paul Newman (as Doc) and George Carlin (as Filmore) will be absent from the sequel. The folks at Pixar are pretty creative, though, I'm sure they will come up with something.

Cars has done a staggering 5 billion in merchandising since its release in 2006. That's billions more than Shrek, Harry Potter etc. To give you an idea of just how much it is, the six Star Wars movies have done a little more than 9 billion in merchandising.

edited for ambiguity
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I'm with the critics on this one. The first movie was good, but one of the weakest by Pixar's standards. I thought it might be their first bomb for me personally, but then it turned around.
Well, I'll just be happy to see any new Pixar, so I guess we'll see.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

My 8-year old son thinks it was one of the best movies ever... so I'm sure we'll be in line for the sequel :)
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Re: Cars 2

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

Harbinger wrote:Cars has done a staggering 5 billion in merchandising since its release in 2006. That's billions more than Shrek, Harry Potter etc. To give you an idea of just how much it is, the six Star Wars movies have done a little more than 9 billion in merchandising.
I think I know EXACTLY why. Untapped market. I mean, really, who has specifically targeted the 2-5 year-old boy market?!?!? (not that it's limited to that age - just, I can think of more variety to interest the 5-10 yrs range.)

My kid would notice things with McQueen on them even if he hadn't seen the movie. (Marketers... so skilled. God help us all. *sigh*)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I quite enjoyed the first film, though didn't Pixar make a huge fuss a few years ago about not wanting to do sequels?
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

I was wrong about the release date. It's 6/24/2011. Now I hear they may move it back to December 2011.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Rigel wrote:I quite enjoyed the first film, though didn't Pixar make a huge fuss a few years ago about not wanting to do sequels?
Which is funny, because it's been scheduled for quite some time... that and Toy Story 3.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

I always felt that Cars was a pretty good movie out of Pixar. My son loves it and I find myself picking up the toys for him every once in while. The detail is incredible on the main line of diecast toys.

I won't miss Cars 2 when it comes to the big screen.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

And there is certainly no shortage of Cars merchandise to buy... *looks around his son's room* ... and I think I have most of it.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

Kids can never have enough cars.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:Kids can never have enough cars.
Just kids?
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Rigel wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:Kids can never have enough cars.
Just kids?
:lol: good point! I'll be watching it with my son (and daughter)...
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

It's almost here! Millions of little fellows (and gals) ready to wet their pants they are so excited about a new lightning McQueen movie. My kid is behaving as if Christmas is almost here and he doesn't want to get a lump of coal.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The commercials look kind of funny. I like Mator. Hopefully it won't be too painful for the parents to sit through, like so many kids films these days. Hope you guys have fun.

My kids couldn't care less. I guess they're no longer in the target demographic. Or they have too many video games. (My son has already checked the mail three times today to see if the new game has arrived from Blockbuster.com.)
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I finally saw Cars on my flight out to 'fest and enjoyed it. I'll probably wait a few weeks after the release of Cars 2, but I think I will try to see it on the big screen.
Kevin164
Giantfriend

Post by Kevin164 »

Saw Cars 2 and was pretty shocked at the violence. My son who is 3 was freaked out by the chases and explosions since it's more of a James Bondish story. It's action is right up there with the Incredibles at times. In fact most of the kids in the theater were at one time bawling from what was happening on the screen.

It had a G-rating but in reality this should have been PG. I enjoyed it but if you have little ones you might want to be ready for all the guns and implied death scenes of some of the minor characters.

Return to “Flicks”