A Clash of Kings

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I don't think I dislike any characters in this book that have has a view point of their own... the reason? Because one you understand someone, or something, understand why they do what they do, it is very hard to 'hate' them.

I certainly hate Theon, in the end, I felt sorry for him.

One again, this is a classic example of amazing character writing. The characters in these books are very grey, and very real.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Martin wrote:I don't think I dislike any characters in this book that have has a view point of their own... the reason? Because one you understand someone, or something, understand why they do what they do, it is very hard to 'hate' them.

I certainly hate Theon, in the end, I felt sorry for him.

One again, this is a classic example of amazing character writing. The characters in these books are very grey, and very real.
::shrug::

I never really warmed up to Sansa, although she got a little better by the end of Storm of Swords. She just always came off as whiny and unable to do anything for herself, in total contrast to Arya. Not that I liked the way Joffrey treated her, but she definitely needs to grow a spine. Hopefully "Feast" will show some signs of maturity in her.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Neither did I 'warm up' to Sansa. But I understand her now... she's annoying, even characters you understand can be annoying... but I don't "hate" her.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

okay...its freakin four twenty three in the morning and my eyes will not focus!
Spoiler
WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT THAT KILLED RENLY!!!!
:hairs:

ya gotta love catelyn after that scene, gettin the knight girl outa there lickty split! even if she was a b!tch to jon.

i'm only going to bed now because my eyes are crossed and the damn progressive lenses aren't helping at this point.

*massive yawn*

hard to put down this little soap opera!! :biggrin:

one more thing. if martin kills arya, i will hunt the bastard down. :evil:
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

You think that's bad!? Don't read!
Spoiler
The nasties get progressively nastier as the series goes on...
fall far and well Pilots!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Warmark wrote:Just finished this, Loved it. :P

Tyrion - i am begininng to like this little Imp.
Spoiler
Only complaint is that the Victory as Kings Landing seemed a little cheap, suddenly Tywin just appears :?
Spoiler
I might add that it was said his army was marching in an unexpected direction. Given that he was moving away from Robb, one might have thought he was heading off to deal with Stannis. Having said that, it still surprised me.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I just looked at this thread and realized I read Storm of Swords from February 16 to February 23. I do remember making a few all-nighters, back then. *sigh* Don't think I'll ever find a more engrossing book.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I have a quetion and I can't spoiler it because I'm on my cell.

Is the boy, Gendry, who is with Arya in Harrenhall Roberts bastard that Ned went to see? I can't find where I got that and I can't find any reference to it in the book.
The King has one more move.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yes, that would be the one. He's described the same way, and he has the bull helmet which he showed Ned in aGoT.
Arcadia
Bloodguard

Post by Arcadia »

Right, thanks.
Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. There is no fear in love; for perfect love cast out fear.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Loremaster wrote:

Spoiler
Only complaint is that the Victory as Kings Landing seemed a little cheap, suddenly Tywin just appears :?
Spoiler
I might add that it was said his army was marching in an unexpected direction. Given that he was moving away from Robb, one might have thought he was heading off to deal with Stannis. Having said that, it still surprised me.
I noticed that line on a re-read, made more sense this time round.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Re-reading, and just noticed a nice little line in this book between Tyrion and Bronn: Tyrion is being hounded by Lady Tanda who want him to marry Lollys. Tyrion says to Bronn, "Perhaps you should eat the goose and marry the maid". Irony is: He does. Bronn is married to Lollys by aFfC, though it isn't Tyrion's doing.

It's always fun spotting these little things that Martin puts in. There are a lot of sly references to what is going to happen later in the story.

Responding to a years-old post:
Loremaster wrote:

Spoiler
Spoiler
He did exactly what Tyrion said would happen. Tyrion had a conversation with Cersei where he said if Renly attacked, Tywin's army could reach King's Landing and smash them before they ever got near taking the city. When King's Landing came under assault, Tyrion was proved right by Tywin's arrival.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Littlefinger just referred to Horas and Hobber as Horror and Slobber - nicknames that Jeyne Pool invented when joking with Sansa. I think it's the first time I've seen someone else use the nicknames. And Littlefinger was the one who said he would find a place for Jeyne when Cersei wanted her seperated from Sansa after Ned's arrest.

The case for Jeyne being the girl who replaces Arya later in the series (sent north to marry the Bastard of Bolton) is a strong one, I think. I have to wonder what Petyr did with her for those few months he had her. And I wonder if the (probable) Reek/Ramsey/Theon storyline in Dance with Dragons will reveal the answer.

Edit: AFFC spoiler
Spoiler
An alternative answer to the "one word" Brienne gets out when Catelyn tries to hang her: Stannis. Catelyn made a promise to Brienne in aCoK that she would not stand between Brienne and her revenge for Renly.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”