What're your favourite bits?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Satansheart
Stonedownor

What're your favourite bits?

Post by Satansheart »

Without sounding intensely corny and sad, I was just wondering what the favourite bits in the books were out there. Among many I love the moment when Covenant unwittingly releases the FireLions from Mount Thunder at the end of LFB
Ah! he cried lornly. Help me!
"We are the Bloodguard." Bannor's voice was almost inaudible through the loud lust of the Cavewights. "We cannot permit this end."
Firmly, he took Covenant's hand and placed it on the Staff of Law, midway between Prothall's straining knuckles.
Power seemed to explode in Covenant's chest. A silent concussion, a shock beyond hearing, struck the ravine like a convulsion of the mountain. The blast knocked the Questers from their feet, sent all the urviles and Cavewights sprawling among the boulders. Only the High Lord kept his feet. His head jerked up, and the Staff bucked in his hands.
For a moment, there was stillness in the ravine a quiet so intense that the blast seemed to have deafened all the combatants. And in that moment, the entire sky over Gravin Threndor turned black with impenetrable thunder.
Then came noise-one deep bolt of sound as if the very rock of the mountain cried out-followed by long waves of hot, hissing sputters. The clouds dropped until they covered the crest of Mount Thunder.
Great yellow fires began to burn on the shrouded peak.,
the bit where Hile Troy loses his Land given sight in Doriendor Corishev in TIW
He awoke to silence and the darkness of night.
After a long lapse of time like an interminable scream, he raised his head. The wind had piled dust over him, and his movement disturbed it. It filled his throat and mouth and lungs. But he bit back a spasm of coughing, and listened to the darkness.
All around him, Doriendor Corishev was as still as a cairn. The wind and the vortex were gone, leaving only midnight dust and death to mark their path. Silence lay over the ruins like a bane.
Then he had to cough. Gasping, retching, he pushed himself to his knees. He sounded explosively loud to himself. He tried to control the violence of his coughing, but he was helpless until the spasm passed.
As it released him, he realized that he was still clutching his sword. Instinctively, he tightened his grip on it. He cursed his night blindness, then told himself that the darkness was his only hope.
His face throbbed painfully, but he ignored it.
He kept himself still while he thought.
This long after the vortex, he reasoned, all his allies were either dead or gone. If the vortex and the birds had not killed them, they had been swept from the ruins by Fleshharrower's army. So they could not help him. He did not know how much of that army had stayed behind in the masterplace.
And he could not see. He was vulnerable until daylight. Only the darkness protected him; he could not defend himself.
His first reaction was to remain where he was, and pray that he was not discovered. But he recognized the futility of that plan. At best, it would only postpone his death. When dawn came, he would still be alone against an unknown number of enemies. No, his one chance was to sneak out of the city now and lose himself in the Wastes. There he might find a gully or hole in which to hide.
That escape was possible, barely possible, because he had one advantage; none of Fleshharrower's creatures except the ur-viles could move through the ruins at night as well as he. And the Raver would not have left ur-viles behind. They were too valuable. If Troy could remember his former skills-his sense of ambience, his memory for terrain-he would be able to navigate the city.
He would have to rely on his hearing to warn him of enemies.
He began by sliding his sword quietly into its scabbard. Then he started groping his way over the hot sand. He needed to verify where he was, and knew only one way to do it.
Nearby, his hands found a patch of ground that felt burned. The dirt which stuck to his fingers reeked of attar. And in the patch, he located Ruel's twisted body. His sense of touch told him that Ruel was badly charred. The dark bird must have caught fire when it
died, and burned away, leaving the Bloodguard's corpse behind.
The touch of that place nauseated him, and he backed away from it. He was sweating heavily. Sweat stung his burns. The night was hot; sunset had brought no relief to the ruins. Folding his arms over his stomach, he climbed to his feet.
Standing unsteadily in the open, he tried to clear his mind of Ruel and the bird. He needed to remember how to deal with blindness, how to orient himself in the ruins. But he could not determine which way he had come into this open place. Waving his arms before him, he went in search of a wall.
His feet distrusted the ground-he could not put them down securely-and he moved awkwardly. His sense of balance had deserted him. His face felt raw, and sweat seared his eye sockets. But he clenched his concentration, and measured the distance.
In twenty yards, he reached a wall. He touched it at an angle, promptly squared himself to it, then moved along it. He needed a gap which would permit him to touch both sides of the wall. Any discrepancy in temperature between the sides would tell him his directions.
After twenty more yards, he arrived in a corner. Turning at right angles, he-followed this new wall. He kept himself parallel to it by brushing the stone with his fingers. Shortly, he stumbled into some rubble, and found an entryway.
The wall here was thick, but he could touch its opposite sides without stretching his arms. Both sides felt very warm, but he thought he discerned a slightly higher temperature on the side facing back into the open space. That direction was west, he reasoned; the afternoon sun would have heated the west side of a wall.
Now he had to decide which way to go.
If he went east, he would be less likely to meet enemies. Since they had not already found him, they might be past him, and their search would move from east to west after the Warward. But if any chance of
help from his friends or Mehryl remained, it would be on the west side.
The dilemma seemed to have no solution. He found himself shaking his head and moaning through his teeth. At once, he stuffed his throat with silence. He decided to move west toward Mehryl. The added risk was preferable to a safe escape eastward-an escape which would leave him alone in the Southron Wastes, without food or water or a mount.
He leaned against the unnatural heat of the wall for a few moments, breathing deeply to steady himself. Then he stood up, grasped his sense of direction with all the concentration he could muster, and started walking straight out into the ruined hall.
His progress was slow. The uncertainty of his steps made him stagger repeatedly away from a true westward line. But he corrected the variations as best he could, and kept going. Without the support of a wall, his balance grew worse at every stride. Before he had covered thirty yards, the floor reeled around him, and he dropped to his knees. He had to clamp his throat shut to keep from whimpering.
When he regained his feet, he heard quiet laughter -first one voice, then several. It had a cruel sound, as if it were directed at him. It resonated slightly off the walls, so that he could not locate it, but it seemed to come from somewhere ahead.
He froze where he stood. Helplessly, he prayed that the darkness would cover him.
But a voice shattered that hope. "Look here, brothers," it said. "A man-alone." Its utterance was awkward, thick with slavering, but Troy could understand it. He could hear the malice in the low chorus of laughter which answered it.
Other voices spoke.
"A man, yes. Slayer take him!"
"Look. Such pretty clothes. An enemy."
"Ha! Look again, fool. That is no man."
"He has no eyes."
"Is it an ur-vile?"
"No-a man, I say. A man with no eyes! Here is some sport, brothers."

All the voices laughed again.
Troy did not stop to wonder how the speakers could see him. He turned, started to run back the way he had come.
At once, they gave pursuit. He could hear the slap of bare feet on stone, the sharp breathing. They overtook him swiftly. Something veered close to him, tripped him. As he fell, the running feet surrounded him.
"Go gently, brothers. No quick kill. He will be sport for us all."
"Do not kill him."
"Not kill? I want to kill. Kill and eat."
"The Giant will want this one."
"After we sport."
"Why tell the Giant, brothers? He is greedy."
"He takes our meat."
"Keep this one for ourselves, yes."
"Slayer take the Giant."
"His precious ur-viles. When there is danger, men must go first."
"Yes! Brothers, we will eat this meat."
Troy heaved himself to his feet. Through the rapid chatter of the voices, he heard, go first, and almost fell again. If these creatures were the first of Fleshharrower's army to enter the masterplace-! But he pushed down the implications of that thought, and snatched out his sword.
"A sword? Ho ho!"
"Look, brothers. The man with no eyes wants to play."
"Play!"
Troy heard the lash of a whip; cord flicked around his wrist. It caught and jerked, hauled him from his feet. Strong hands took his sword. Something kicked him in the chest, knocked him backward. But his breastplate protected him.
One of the voices cried, "Slayer! My foot!"
"Fool!" came the answer. There was laughter.
"Kill him!"
A metallic weapon clattered against his breastplate, fell to the ground. He scrambled for it in the dust, but
sudden hands shoved him away. He' recoiled and got to his feet again.
He heard the whistle of the whip, and its cord lashed at his ankles. But this time he did not go down.
"Do not kill him yet. Where is the sport?"
"Make him play."
"Yes, brothers. Play."
"Play for us, man with no eyes"
The whip burned around his neck. He staggered under the blow. The bewildering crossfire of voices went on.
"Play, Slayer take you!"
"Sport for us!"
"Why sport? I want meat. Blood-wet meat."
"The Giant feeds us sand."
"Play, I say! Are you blind, man with no eyes? Does the sun dazzle you?"
This gibe was met with loud laughter. But Troy stood still in his dismay. The sun? he thought numbly. Then he had chosen the wrong direction, east instead of west; he had walked right into these creatures. He wanted to scream. But he was past screaming. He could feel the light of his life going out. His hands shook as he tried to straighten his sunglasses.
"Dear God," he groaned.
Numbly, as if he did not know what he was doing, he put his fingers to his lips and gave a shrill whistle.
The whip coiled around his waist and whirled him to the ground.
"Play!" the voices shouted raggedly together.
But when he stumbled to his feet again, he heard . the sound of hooves. And a moment later, Mehryl's whinny cut through the gibbering voices. It touched Troy's heart like the call of a trumpet. He jerked up ; his head, and his ears searched, trying to locate the
Ranyhyn.
The voices changed to shouts of hunger as the ` hooves charged. "Ranyhyn!" "Kill it!"
"Meat!" Hands grabbed Troy. He grappled with a fist that
held a knife. But then the noise of hooves rushed close to him. An impact flung his assailant away. He turned, tried to leap onto Mehryl's back. But he only put himself in Mehryl's path. The shoulder of the Ranyhyn struck him, knocked him down.
Then he could hear bare feet leaping to the attack. The whip cracked, knives swished. Mehryl was forced away from him. Hooves skittered on the stone as the Ranyhyn retreated. Howling triumphantly, the creatures gave chase. The sounds receded.
Troy pushed himself to his feet. His heart thudded in his chest; pain throbbed sharply in his face. The noises of pursuit seemed to indicate that he was being left alone. But he did not move. Concentrating all his attention, he tried to hear over the beat of his pain.
For a long moment, the open space around him sounded empty, still. He waved his arms, and touched nothing.
But then he heard a sharp intake of breath.
He was trembling violently. He wanted to turn and run. But he forced himself to hold his ground. He concentrated, bent all his alertness toward the sound. In the distance, the other creatures had lost Mehryl. They were returning; he could hear them.
But the near voice hissed, "I kill you. You hurt my foot. Slayer take them! You are my meat."
Troy could sense the creature's approach. It loomed out of the blankness like a faint pressure on his face. The rasp of its breathing grew louder. With every step, he felt its ambience more acutely.
The tension was excruciating, but he held himself still. He waited. Interminable time passed.
Suddenly, he felt the creature bunching to spring.
He snatched Manethrall Rue's cord from his belt, looped it around the neck of his attacker, and jerked as the creature hit him. He put all his strength into the pull. The creature's leap toppled him, but he clung to the cord, heaved on it. The creature landed on top of him. He threw his weight around, got himself onto the creature. He kept pulling. Now he could feel the limpness of the body under him. But he did not re
lease his hold. Straining on the cord; he banged the creature's head repeatedly against the stone.
He was gasping for breath. Dimly, he could hear the other creatures charging him.
He did not release his hold
Then power crackled through the air. Flame burst around him. He heard shouts, and the clash of swords. Bowstrings thrummed. Creatures screamed, ran, fell heavily.
A moment later, hands lifted Troy. Rue's cord was taken from his rigid fingers. First Haft Amorine cried, "Warmark! Warmark! Praise the Creator, you are safe!" She was weeping with relief. People moved around him. He heard Lord Mhoram say, "My friend, you have led us a merry chase. Without Mehryl's aid, we would not have found you in time." The voice came disembodied out of the blankness.
At first, Troy could not speak. His heart struggled through a crisis. It made him gasp so hard that he could barely stand. He sounded as if he were trying to sob.
"Warmark," Amorine said, "what has happened to you?"
"Sun," he panted, "is-the sun-shining?" The effort of articulation seemed to impale his heart.
"Warmark? Ah, Warmark! What has been done to you?"
"The sun!" he retched out. He was desperate to insist, but he could only stamp his foot uselessly.
"The sun stands overhead," Mhoram answered. "We have survived the vortex and its creatures. But now Fleshharrower's army enters Doriendor Corishev. We must depart swiftly."
"Mhoram," Troy coughed hoarsely. "Mhoram." Stumbling forward, he fell into the Lord's arms.
Mhoram held him in a comforting grip. Without a word, the Lord supported him until some of his pain passed, and he began to breathe more easily. Then Mhoram said quietly, "I see that you slew one of the Despiser's birds. You have done well, my friend. Lord Callindrill and I remain. Perhaps seventy of the Bloodguard survive. First Haft Amorine has preserved
a handful of her warriors. After the passing of the vortex, all the Ranyhyn returned. They saved many horses. My friend, we must go."
Some of Mhoram's steadiness reached Troy, and he began to regain control of himself. He did not want to be a burden to the Lord. Slowly, he drew back, stood on his own. Covering his burned forehead with his hands as if he were trying to hide his eyelessness, he said, "I've got to tell you the rest of my plan."
"May it wait? We must depart at once."
"Mhoram," Troy moaned brokenly, "I can't see."
but of all the defining moments I can think of the second calling of Nom is truly awesome.
"My friend," the Kemper said tightly, "your death will be one to surpass your most heinous fears."
Honninscrave responded with a gasping snarl. But Kasreyn remained beyond reach of the Master's chain.
Slowly, the Kemper shifted his attention away from Honninscrave. Facing Linden, he repeated, "If you do not satisfy
me." Only the tautness of his voice betrayed that anything had happened to him. "I will command him to blind himself."
Covenant had not moved. He still stood with his fingers poised to gouge out his eyes.
Linden cast one last long look at his terrible defenseless-ness. Then she let herself sag. How could she fight a man who was able to rise from the dead? "You'll have to take that band off his neck. It blocks me,"
Cail surged against his chains. "Chosen!" the First cried in protest. Pitchwife gaped dismay at her.
Linden ignored them. She was watching Kasreyn. Grinning fiercely, he approached Covenant. With one hand, he touched the yellow band. It came away in his grasp.
At once, Covenant slumped back into his familiar emptiness. His eyes were void. For no reason, he said, "Don't touch me."
Before Linden could reach out to him in yearning or rage, try to keep her promises, the floor near Vain's feet began to swirl and melt. With surprising celerity, Findail flowed out of the granite into human form.
Immediately, he confronted Linden. "Are you a fool?" The habitual misery of his features shouted at her. "This is ruin!" She had never heard such anguish from any Elohim. "Do you not comprehend that the Earth is at peril? Therefore did I urge you to your ship while the way was open, that these straits might be evaded. Sun-Sage, hear me!" When she did not respond, his apprehension mounted. "I am the Appointed. The doom of the Earth is upon my head. I beg of you-do not do this thing!"
But she was not listening to him. Kasreyn stood grinning behind Covenant as if he knew he had nothing to fear from Findail. His hands held the golden band, the threat which had compelled her. Yet she ignored the Kemper also. She paid no heed to the consternation of her companions. She had been preparing herself for this since the moment when the First had said, Why do we yet live! She had striven for it with every fiber of her will, fought for this chance to create her own answer. The removal of that neck-band. The opportunity to make good on at least one promise.
All of her was focused on Covenant. While her companions sought to distract her, dissuade her, she opened her senses to him. In a rush like an outpouring of ecstasy or loss, rage or grief, she surrendered herself to his emptiness.
Now she took no account of the passion with which she entered him. And she offered no resistance as she was swept into the long gulf. She saw that her former failures had been caused by her attempts to bend him to her own will, her own use; but now she wanted nothing for herself, withheld nothing. Abandoning herself entirely, she fell like a dying star into the blankness behind which the Elohim had hidden his soul.
Yet she did not forget Kasreyn. He was watching avidly, poised for the reawakening of Covenant's will. At that moment, Covenant would be absolutely vulnerable; for surely he would not regain full possession of his consciousness and his power instantly, and until he did he would have no defense against the Kemper's geas. Linden felt no mercy toward Kasreyn, contained nothing at all which might have resembled mercy toward him. As she fell and fell like death into Covenant's emptiness, she shouted voiceless instructions which echoed through the uninhabitation of his mind.
Now no visions came out of his depths to appall her. She had surrendered so completely that nothing remained to cause her dismay. Instead, she felt the layers of her independent self being stripped away. Severity and training and medical school were gone, leaving her fifteen and loss-ridden, unable at that time to conceive of any answer to her mother's death. Grief and guilt and her mother were gone, so that she seemed to contain nothing except the cold unexpungeable horror and accusation of her father's suicide. Then even suicide was gone, and she stood under a clean sun in fields and flowers, full of a child's capacity for happiness, joy, love. She could have fallen that way forever.
The sunlight spread its wings about her, and the wind ruffled her hair like a hand of affection. She shouted in pleasure. And her shout was answered. A boy came toward her across the fields. He was older than she-he seemed much older, though he was still only a boy, and the Covenant he would become was nothing more than an implication in the lines of his face, the fire of his eyes. He approached her with a shy half-smile. His hands were open and whole and accessible. Caught in a whirl of instinctive exaltation, she ran toward him with her arms wide, yearning for the embrace which would transform her.
But when she touched him, the gap was bridged, and his emptiness flooded into her. At once, she could see everything, hear everything. All her senses functioned normally. Her companions had fallen silent: they were staring at her in despair. Kasreyn stood near Covenant with his ocular held ready, his hands trembling as if they could no longer suppress their caducity. But behind what she saw and heard, she wailed like a foretaste of her coming life. She was a child in a field of flowers, and the older boy she adored had left her. The love had gone out of the sunlight, leaving the day bereft as if all joy were dead.
Yet she saw him-saw the boy in the man, Thomas Covenant-as life and will spread back into his limbs. She saw him take hold of himself, lift his head. All her senses functioned normally. She could do nothing but wail as he turned toward Kasreyn, exposed himself to the Kemper's geas. He was still too far away from himself to make any defense.
But before the Kemper was able to use his ocular, the instructions she had left in Covenant reached him. He looked straight at Kasreyn and obeyed her.
Distinctly, he articulated one clear word:
"Nom."

What're yours?
What?
Without warning, her words hit him in the face like ice water.
Drinny
Stonedownor

Post by Drinny »

Definitely "Lord Mhoram's Victory". I get emotional just thinking about it...

Such a buildup, and such a wonderful character... and such a sense of triumph against all odds.

Nom's second calling is a very powerful scene, too, Satansheart... with one short word you experience so much and everything you thought about the situation just described changes. Amazing writing.
Romeo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Romeo »

I always liked the third calling of Nom:
Trembling as if he were on the verge of deflagration, he spoke the name he had been hoarding to himself ever since he had begun to understand the implications of what he meant to do.

The name of a Sandgorgon.

"Nom."
Everything seemed to come to a poinpoint there - one comprised of just three letters, which made it feel sharper than some of the other climaxes. I would never have expected him to do something like that - I was as shocked as the rest of the Search.

I also liked the meeting of Nassic at the begginning of of The Wounded Land.
Suddenly, the old man jerked up his right hand, raised it with the palm forward, and spread his fingers.

Covenant copied the gesture. He did not know whether or not Lord Foul had prepared this encounter for him. Buthe needed shelter, food, information. And he was prepared to acknowledge anyone who could keep a brand alight in this rain. As he lifted his half-hand into the light, his ring gleamed dully on the second finger.

The sight shocked the old man. He winced, mumbled to himself, retreated a step as if in fear. Then he pointed tremulously at Covenant's ring. "White Gold?" he cried. His voice shook.

"Yes!" Covenant replied.

"Halfhand?"

"Yes!"

"How are you named?" the man quavered.

"Ur-Lord Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever and white gold wielder!"

"Illender? gasped the man as if the rain were suffocating him. "Prover of Life?"

"Yes!"

The old man retreated another step. The torchlight gave his visage a dismayed look. Abruptly, he turned, started scrambling frailly upward through the water and muck.

Over his shoulder, he wailed, "Come!"
It's not really a climax, since it's at the beginning of the story/chapter. But this is really where Covenant really accepted these titles. I think at this point he became part of the Land, and it became Linden's show.

And we can't forget the ever popular:
Involunarily, Covenant's fingers bent into claws.

"I'm going to bring Foul's Creche down around his ears."
OOH RAH!!

:D
And then the ravens pecked out his eyes.
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I liked when the eels attacked Starfare's Gem 8O , that was pretty wild.

Pie and Cake
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I liked the part where the Haruchai are fighting Nom. Man, that painted an awsome picture in my head.

:Hail: to SRD.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I also loved the second calling of Nom. I was on the tube at the time, and I said "Oh my God" out loud, and nearly got to my feet! I think it was just about the last thing that I'd expected TC to do at that point.

Lord Verement's last stand against the Kresh was good, and I really wish that we'd got to experience Runnik's Tale first-hand, as that all sounded like some pretty intense stuff.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

To me, the most powerful scene in the entire chrons is the first defeat of the Despiser, after Covenant intuitively comes up with an answer to despite, but, being too emotionally maimed to implement it himself, asks the others present for help.

This is an absoloutely crucial scene. DO NOT read if you have not finished TPTP.

Spoiler
For a long moment that almost broke his will, there was no sound in the thronehall. Lord Foul blazed contempt at his captor; the Lords stood aghast, uncomprehending; Foamfollower hung in his chains as if the burden were too geat for him to bear.
"Help me!" Covenant cried.
Then slowly his plea made itself felt. Some prophecy in his words touched the hearts that heard him. With a terrible effort, Saltheart Foamfollower, the last of the Giants, began to laugh.
It was a gruesome sound at first; writhing in his fetters, Foamfollower spat out the laugh as if it were a curse. On that level, the Lords were able to share it. In low voices, they aimed bursts of contemptuous scorn, jeering hate, at the beaten Despiser. But as Foamfollower fought to laugh, his muscles loosened. The constriction of his throat and chest relaxed, allowing a pure wind of humor to blow the ashes of rage and pain from his lungs. Soon something like joy, something like real mirth, appeared in his voice.
The lords responded. As it grew haler, Foamfollower's laugh became infectious; it drew the grim specters with it. They began to unclench their hate. Clean humor ran through them, gathering momentum as it passed. Foamfollower gained joy from them, and they began to taste his joy. In moments, all their contempt or scorn had fallen away. They were no longer laughing to express their outrage at Lord Foul; they were not laughing at him at all. To their own surprise, they were laughing for the pure joy of laughter, for the sheer satisfaction and emotional ebulliance of mirth.
Lord foul cringed at the sound. He strove to sustain his defiance, but could not. With a cry of pain and fury, he covered his face and began to change. The years melted off his frame. His hair darkened, beard grew stiffer; with astonishing speed, he was becoming younger. And at the same time he lost solidity, stature. His body shrank and faded with every undone age. Soon he was a youth again, barely visible.
Still the change did not stop. From a youth he became a child, growing steadily younger as he vanished. For an instant, he was a loud infant, squalling in his ancient frustration. Then he disappeared altoghether.
As they laughed, the Lords also faded. With the Despiser vanquished, they went back to their natural graves - ghosts who had at last gained something other than torment from the breaking of the Law of Death.
Covenant and Foamfollower were left alone.
Covenant was weeping out of control now. The exhaustion of his ordeal had caught up with him. He felt too frail to lift his head, too weary to live any longer. Yet he had one more thing to do. He had promised that the Land would be safe. Now he had to ensure it's safety.
"Foamfollower?" he wept. "My friend?" With his voice, he begged the Giant to understand him; he lacked the strength to articulate what he had to do.
"Do not fear for me," Foamfollower replied. He sounded strangely proud, as if Covenant had honored him in some rare way. "THomas Covenant, ur-Lord and Unbeliever, brave white gold wielder - I desire no other end. Do whatever you must, my friend. I am at Peace. I have beheld a marvelous story."
Foamfollower! Brave, beautiful Giant! I cry like a baby every time...

I never noticed that the word Peace, in that last sentence, is capitalized before. Gives it an even more powerful meaning, don't you think?

Also, I Totally agree with you Romeo.
Involunarily, Covenant's fingers bent into claws.

"I'm going to bring Foul's Creche down around his ears."
OOH RAH! indeed!
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Spoiler
The Giant sighed, and his whole frame sagged. He studied his intertwined hands as if somewhere in there clasped gentleness and butchery were a secret he could not unclose, but he no longer evaded the question. "He said that I betrayed my kinfolk-that the Giants of Seareach died to the last child at the hands of turiya Raver because I abandoned them. It is true."...

Abstractedly Bannor said, "Many things were lost in the Grieve that day."

"Yes" Foamfollower blinked.... "Yes-many things. Among them I was the least."
Foamfollowers tale of the end of the Giants and why he survived is, to me, the most poignant passage in the Chronicles.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

My faves (and these are just a few) include:

--The Ranyhyn rearing to TC.
--Every single appearance of Lord Foul.
--Questioning Amok.
--The jeherren, and sur-jeherren.
--Foamfollower's end.
--"The Weird of the Waynhim"
--Covenent's redemption of the damned at Coercri.
--Findail's story of Kastenessen.
--Defeating the Clave.
--Rescuing the Haruchai from the Clave.

Plus lots more.
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I guess I'll keep it to one thing for this post: Everything <I>Haruchai</I>

Just a few examples:

-Ceer & Hergrom vs Nom!!!!! I'm sure everyone knows this well enough and knows where to find it, so I won't type it all out.

-Same for Brinn vs <I>ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol</I>. But I will type this:
Cross-legged on the shelf sat an ancient man in a tattered colorless robe.
His head was half bowed in an attitude of meditation. But his eyes were open. The milky hue of cataracts or blindness filled his orbs. Faint wisps of hair marked the top of his head; a gray stubble emphasized the hollowness of his cheeks. His skin was seamed with age, and his limbs had been starved to the point of emaciation. Yet he radiated an eerie and unfathomable strength.
Amazing how much strength we find in that description now that we know who and what he is.

"Rocks may fall. Storms may come. Tigers roam these low heights. Great eagles hunt here. Mountains" - Covenant seemed to hear a hint of satisfaction in Bannor's tone - "are perilous."
Later, she was vaguely surprised to see Ceer and Hergrom in the shrouds of the aftermast. They moved deftly among the lines, learning from and aiding the Giants with an easy alacrity which seemed almost gay. When she asked Cail what his people were doing, he replied that they were fulfilling an old dream of the <I>Haruchai</I>. During all the centuries that the Unhomed and the Bloodguard had known each other before and after the Ritual of Desecration, no <I>Haruchai</I> had ever set foot on a Giantship. Ceer and Hergrom were answering a desire which had panged their ancestors more than three thousand years ago.
Cail's terse account touched her obscurely, like a glimpse of an unexpected and occult beauty. The steadfastness of his people transcended all bounds. During Covenant's previous visits to the Land, the Bloodguard had already been warding the Council of Lords without sleep or death for nearly two thousand years, so extravagant had been their Vow of service. And now, millennia later, Cail and his people still preserved the memories and commitments of those Bloodguard.

And, of course, there's the Vow!!!!!!!
"The Vow of the Bloodguard was sworn to meet the bounty and grandeur of High Lord Kevin and Revelstone." - Durris
"They were a hot-blooded people, strong-loined and prolific, bred to tempest and battle - and now made by their pledged loyalty ascetic, womanless and old. I tell you, Thomas Covenant - their devotion has has such unforseen prices- Such one-mindedness does not come easily to them, and their only reward is the pride of unbroken, pure service." - Mhoram
"When we came to the Land, we saw wonders - Giants, Ranyhyn, Revelstone - Lords of such power that they declined to wage war with us lest we be destroyed. In answer to our challenge, they gave to the <I>Haruchai</I> gifts so precious-" He paused, appeared to muse for a moment over private memories. "Therefore we swore the Vow. We could not equal that generosity in any other way." - Bannor
The great gates stood open for three days while the <I>Haruchai</I> commanders tasted the grandeur of Revelstone. They experienced the laughing genial power of the Giants who had made the Keep, received the confident offer of Kevin's Council to supply the <I>Haruchai</I> freely whatever they needed for as long as their need lasted. When the commanders returned to their army, they sat astride prancing Ranyhyn, which had come from the Plains of Ra at Kevin's call and had chosen to bear the <I>Haruchai</I>. Korik and his peers were of one mind. Something new was upon them, something beyond instinctive kinship with Ranyhyn, beyond friendship and awe for the Giants, beyond even the fine entrancement of Revelstone itself. The <I>Haruchai</I> were fighters, accustomed to wrest what they required: they could not accept gifts without making meet return.

Therefore that night the army from the Westron Mountains gathered under the south wall of Revelstone. All the <I>Haruchai</I> joined their minds together and out of their common strength forged the metal of the Vow - unalloyed and unanswerable, accessible to no appeal or flaw, unambergrised by the promise of any uncorrupt end: a Vow like the infernal oath upon the river of death which binds even the gods. This they wrought out of the extremity and innocence of their hearts, to match the handiwork of the Giants and the mastery of the Lords. As they spoke the hot words - <I>Ha-man rual tayba-sah carab ho-eeal</I> - the ground seemed to grow hot and cognizant under their feet, as if the Earthpower were drawing near the surface to hear them. And when they brought their Vow around full circle, sealing it so that there was no escape, the rocks on which they stood thundered, and fire ran through them, sealing their bones to the promise they had made.

*sigh*
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Favorite non-<I>Haruchai</I> bits? Well, I started the "For the Giants" topic a while ago, so no need to do that again.

How about Amok? Amok is one of my favorite characters of all books, movies, history, etc. Here's a great moment:
The Ranyhyn were eager for a run after long days of constricted climbing, and they cantered out onto the flat rock. With surprising fleetness, Amok kept ahead of them. He laughed as he ran, and even increased his pace. The Ranyhyn stretched into full stride, began to gallop in earnest, leaving Covenant's mustang behind. But still Amok's prancing step outran them. Gaily, he led the riders east and then south down the center of the plateau.
He is da bomb!

I absolutely LOVE reading all of his conversations. Here's a couple of my favorite bits:
"By hell," Covenant muttered. "By hell."
"Indeed?" said Amok with a boyish grin that seemed to light up the laughing curls of his hair. "Well, that is not for me to say."
Irritated by Amok's riddling, Drinishok interposed, "Boy, do you bear knowledge that belongs to the Warlore?"
Amok laughed. "Old man, I was old when the grandsire of your grandsire's grandsire was a babe. Do I appear to be a warrior?"
And here's another great moment:
Abruptly, she lifted the Staff of Law, held it horizontally before her like a weapon. "Amok," she commanded, "place your hands upon the Staff."

The youth looked without flinching into the authority of her face. Slowly, he obeyed. His hands rested lightly between hers on the rune-carved wood.

She gave a high, strange cry. At once, fire blossomed along the Staff; viridian flames opened from all the wood. The blaze swept over her hands and Amok's; it intensified as if it were feeding on their fingers. It hummed with deep power, and radiated a sharp aroma like the smell of duress.

"Kevin-born Amok!" she exclaimed through the hum. "Way and door to the Seventh Ward! By the power of the Staff of Law - in the name of High Lord Kevin son of Loric who made you - I adjure you. Tell me the name of the Seventh Ward's power!"

Covenant felt the force of her command. Though it was not leveled at him - though he was not touching the Staff - he gagged over the effort to utter a name he did not know.

But Amok met her without blinking, and his voice cut clearly through the flame of the Staff. "No, High Lord. I am impervious to compulsion. You cannot touch me."

"By the Seven!" she shouted. I will not be denied!: She raged as if she were using fury to hold back a scream. "<I>Melenkurion abatha!</I> Tell me the name!"

"No," Amok repeated.

Savagely, she tore the Staff out of his hands. It's flame gathered, mounted, then sprang loudly into the sky like a bolt of thunder.

He gave a shrug, and disappeared.
And, alas, Amok's final moment:
"Ah, Kevin! Life is sweet, and I have lived so short a time! Must I pass away?"
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

That's a good one, birdandbear. Here are a few more good ones from TPTP:
Spoiler
Triock's face was disfigured by the force which had smashed him. His charred skin peeled off his skull in places, and his eyes had been seared. From the slack dark hole of his mouth came faint plumes of smoke like the fleeing wisps of his soul
Covenant hugged Triock's head with both arms and began to weep.
After a time, the Stonedownor sensed in some way who held him. Through the death thickening in his gullet, he struggled to speak. "Covenant."
His voice was barely audible, but Covenant fought back his tears to respond, "I hear you."
"You are not to blame. She was - flawed from birth."
That was as far as his mercy could go. After one final wisp, the smoke faded away. Covenant held him, and knew he had no pulse or breath of life left.
He understood that Triock had forgiven him. The Stonedownor was not to blame if his gift gave no consolation. In addition to everything else, Covenant was responsible for the flaw of Elena's birth. She was the daughter of a crime which could never be undone. So he could do nothing but sit with Triock's unanswerable head in his lap, and weep while he waited for the reversal of his summons, the end which would reave him of the Land.
But no end came. In the past, he had always begun to fail as soon as his summoner died; but now he remained. Moments passed, and still he was undiminished. Gradually, he realized that this time he would not disappear, that for reasons he did not understand, he had not yet lost his chance.
He did not have to accept Elena's fate. It was not the last word - not yet.
When Bannor and Foamfollower stirred, groaned, began to regain consciousness, he made himself move. Carefully, deliberately, he took his ring from his wedding finger and placed it on the index finger of his halfhand, so that it would be less likely to slip off.
Then, amid all his grief and regret, he stood up on bones that could bear anything, and hobbled over to help his friends.
Spoiler
Two more strides - the lava reached Foamfollower's chest. He mastered his pain for one instant to gasp out over the silent fire, "Remember the jheherrin!" Then he began to howl, driven beyond his endurance by red molten agony.
Covenant could see nothing, did not know how far they had come. Reeling over the lava, he held his breath, kept himself from joining Foamfollower's terrible scream. The Giant went on, propelled himself with his tortured legs as if he were treading water.
But finally he floundered to a stop. The weight and pain of the lava halted him. He could not wade any farther.
With one last, horrific exertion, he thrust himself upward, reared back, concentrated all his strength in his shoulders. Heaving so hard that he seemed to tear his arms from their sockets, he hurled Covenant toward the bank.
Covenant arched through the blazing light for an instant, clenched himself against the sudden pain of incineration.
He landed on dead cinders five feet from the edge of Hotash Slay. The ashes crunched under him, gave slightly, absorbed some of the impact. Gasping for breath, he rolled, staggered to his knees. He could not see; he was blind with tears. He gouged water out of his eyes with numb fingers, blinked furiously, forced his vision into focus.
Ten or more yards out in the lava, he saw one of Foamfollower's hands still above the surface. It clenched uselessly for a moment, trying to find a grip on the brimstone air. Then it followed the Giant into the molten depths.
Foamfollower! Covenant cried soundlessly. He could not find enough air to scream aloud. Foamfollower!
The heat beat back at him furiously. And through the pounding blaze came dim shouts - the approaching clamor of pursuit.
Before we are seen, Covenant remembered dumbly. Foamfollower had done this for him so that he would not be seen - so that Foul would not know that he had crossed Hotash Slay. He wanted to kneel where he was until he dissolved in heat and grief, but he stumbled to his feet.
Foamfollower! My friend!
Lumbering stiffly, he turned his back on the lava as if it were the grave of all his victims, and moved away into darkness.
After a short distance, he crossed a low, barren ridge, fell into the shallow gully beyond it. At once, a landfall of weariness buried him, and he abandoned himself to sleep. For a long time, he lay in his own night, dreaming of impossible sunlight.
Spoiler
Before he could move, something crashed into him, slammed him down. He struggled, but a grip as hard as iron locked his arms behind his back. Weight pinned his legs. In fury and fear, he tried to yell. A hand clamped over his face.
He was helpless. His attacker could have broken his back with one swift wrench. But the hands only held him still - asserting their mastery over him, waiting for him to relax, submit.
With an effort, he forced his muscles to unclench.
The hand did not uncover his mouth, but he was suddenly flipped onto his back.
He found himself looking up into the warm, clean face of Saltheart Foamfollower.
The Giant made a silencing gesture, then released him.
At once, Covenant flung his arms around Foamfollower's neck, hugged him, clung to his strong neck like a child. A joy like sunrise washed the darkness out of him, lifted him up into hope as if it were the pure, clear dawn of a new day.
Foamfollower returned the embrace for a moment, then disentangled it and moved stealthily away. Covenant followed, though his eyes were so full of tears that he could hardly see where he was going. The Giant led him from the abutment to the far side of one of the towers. There they were hidden from the warder, and the rumble of the waves covered their voices. Grinning happily, Foamfollower whispered, "Please pardon me. I hope I have not harmed you. I have been watching for you, but did not see you. When you gained the parapet, I could not call without alerting that Foul-spawn. And I feared that in your surprise, you might betray your presence."
Covenant blinked back his tears. His voice shook with joy and relief as he said, "Pardon you? You scared me witless."
Foamfollower chuckled softly, hardly able to contain his own pleasure. "Ah, my friend, I am greatly glad to see you once again. I feared I had lost you in Hotash Slay - feared you had been taken prisoner - feared - ah! I had a host of fears."
"I thought you were dead." Covenant sobbed once, then caught hold of himself, steadied himself. Brusquely, he wiped his eyes so that he could look at the Giant.
Foamfollower appeared beautifully healthy. He was naked - he had lost his raiment in the fires of the Slay - and from head to foot his flesh was clean and well. The former extremity of his gaze had been replaced by something haler, something serene; his eyes gleamed with laughter out of their cavernous sockets. The alabaster strength of his limbs looked as solid as marble; and except for a few recent scrapes received while scrambling from Hotash Slay to the Creche, even his old battle-scars were gone, effaced by a fire which seemed to have refined him down to the marrow of his bones. Nothing about him showed that he had been through agony.
Yet Covenant received an impression of agony, of a transcending pain which had fundamentally altered the Giant. Somehow in Hotash Slay, Foamfollower had carried his most terrible passions through to their apocalypse.
Covenant steadied himself with sea air, and repeated, "I thought you were dead."
The Giant's happiness did not falter. "As did I. This outcome is an amazement to me, just as it is to you. Stone and Sea! I would have sworn that I would die. Covenant, the Despiser can never triumph entirely over a world where such things occur."
Spoiler
Their voices drifted away, left Covenant alone in his bed.
He was thinking dimly, A miracle. That's what it was.
He was a sick man, a victim of Hansen's disease. But he was not a leper - not just a leper. He had the law of his illness carved in large, undeniable letters on the nerves of his body; but he was more than that. In the end, he had not failed the Land. And he had a heart which could still pump blood, bones which could still bear his weight; he had himself.
Thomas Covenant: Unbeliever.
A miracle.
Despite the stiff pain in his lip, he smiled at the empty room. He felt the smile on his face, and was sure of it.
He smiled because he was alive.
~Foamy~
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Mhorams victory, wow this scene was AMAZING. i loved it
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

i also enjoyed the first time Thomas meets the haruchai in the second chronicles.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

and the gaints to
Treble
Stonedownor

Post by Treble »

Almost impossibly hard to choose one, but after the word of warning is set into the rock passage that Verement (?) is set to defend (and, sadly, lose his life before), he stands defiant against the Giant-Raver (this is in Illearth War, btw).

Casting his Lord's fire at the Giant, the Haruchai (can't remember who it was - again, sorry! ) leaps to attack at exactly the same time. The Lord's extremity and the Haruchai's Matrix-esque skills painted a very exciting picture in my mind.
www.ntsc-uk.com writer.

Gaming news, reviews and features!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

When Linden brought Covenant out of his Elohim-induced stupor and TC muttered one word: "Nom."

When I read that, it was as if I was watching a movie!
The King has one more move.
Lord Callindrill
Stonedownor

Post by Lord Callindrill »

This has to be the most moving moment for me:
The old Warmark's voice was gruff with urgency as he said, "High Lord, this risk will weaken Revelstone. A third of the Warward--two thousand lives wasted. High Lord--why? Have you become like Kevin Landwaster? Do you wish to destroy that which you love?"

"No!" Mhoram whispered because the tightness of his throat blocked any other sound. With his hands, he begged Drinny for strength. "I do not--I do not forget--I am the High Lord. The path of faith is clear. I must follow it--because it is not despair."

"You will teach us despair--if you fail."

Mhoram heard the pain in Quaan's voice, and he compelled himself to answer. He could not refuse Quaan's need; he was too weak, but he could not refuse. "No. Lord Foul teaches despair. It is an easier lesson than courage." Slowly, he turned around, met first Quaan's gaze, then the eyes of the Lords. "An easier lesson," he repeated. "Therefore the counsels of despair and hate can never triumph over Despite."

But his reply only increased Quaan's pain. While knuckles of distress clenched Quaan's open face, he moaned brokenly, "Ah, my Lord. Then why do you delay. Why do you fear?"

"Because I am mortal, weak. The wayis only clear--not sure. In my time, I have been a seer and oracle. Now I--I desire a sign. I require to see."

He spoke simply, but almost at once his mortality, his weakness, became too much for him. Tears blurred his vision. The burden was not one that he could bear alone. He opened his arms and was swept into the embrace of the Lords.
"If we must suffer and die without hope then we will do so, but we will not despair."
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

This is the most moving scene for me. Every time I read it, I bawl.

From Chapter 26: Coerci, The Wounded Land:
The prospect terrified him. But he had no other solution to the venom in his veins, to the power he could not master, had no other answer to the long blame of the past. The Dead repeated their doom in The Grieve above him, damned to die that way forever unless he could find some grace for them. Foamfollower had given his life gladly so that Covenant and the Land could live. Covenant began moving, advancing toward the fire.

Brinn and Hergrom opposed him. But then they saw the hope and ruin in his eyes. They stepped aside.

"Covenant!"

Linden came running toward him. But Cail caught her, held her back.

Heat shouted against Covenant's face like the voice of his destiny; but he did not stop. He could not stop. Entranced and compelled, he rode the mourning of the Sea forward.

Into the fire.

At once, he became wild magic and grief, burning with an intense white flame that no other blaze could touch. Shining like the gem of the krill, he strode among the logs and embers to Seadreamer's side. The Giant did not see him, was too far gone in agony to see him. Remembering Foamfollower's pain, Covenant thrust at Seadreamer. Wild magic blasted the Giant from the fire, sent him sprawling across the cold stone.

Slowly, Covenant looked around at his companions. They were distorted by the flames, gazing at him as if he were a ghoul. Linden's appalled stare hurt him. Because he could not reply to her in any other way, he turned to his purpose.

He took hold of the wild magic, shaped it according to his will, so that it became his own ritual, an articulation of compassion and rage for all torment, all loss.

Burning, he opened himself to the surrounding flames.

They rushed to incinerate him; but he was ready. He mastered the bonfire with argence, bent it to his command. Flame and power were projected outward together, so that the blaze lashed tremendously into the night.

He spread his arms to the city, stretched himself as if he yearned to embrace the whole of The Grieve.

In wild magic, white puissance without sound, he shouted: Come! This is the caamora! Come and be healed!

And they came. His might and his will interrupted the masque, broke the geas which locked the Dead in their weird damnation. Hearing him, they turned as if they had been waiting through all the long ages of their anguish for his call. In throngs and eagerness, they began flowing down the passages of Coercri.

Like a river, they swept out onto the headrock of the piers.

Toward the fire.

The Giant-Raver tried to pursue them. But the breaking of their eternal round seemed to break also his hold over them, break the spell of his maleficent glee. His form frayed as he moved, blurred until he was only a tingling green smear of memory across The Grieve--until he faded into the night, and was lost.

And the Dead continued toward the fire.

The Haruchai drew back, taking Linden and the Stonedownors with them. Pitchwife and the First went with aching bones to tend Seadreamer.

Vain did not move. He stood in the path of the Dead and watched Covenant's immolation with gaiety in his eyes.

But the Dead passed around him, streamed forward. Need and hope shone through their pearl faces.

Reaching out to them as if they were all one, as if they were only Foamfollower in multiform guise, Covenant took them into his embrace, and wept white fire.

The wild magic struck pain into them, seared them the way a physical conflagration would have seared their bodies. Their forms went rigid, jaws stretched, eyes stared--specters screaming in soul-anguish. But the screaming was also laughter.

And the laughter prevailed.

Covenant could not hold them. They came into his arms, but they had no bodies that he could hug. Nothing filled his embrace; no contact or benison restored him to himself. He might have been alone in the fire.

Yet the laughter stayed with him. It was glad mirth, joy and restitution which Foamfollower would have known how to share. It ran in his ears like the Sea and sustained him until everything else was gone--until his power was spent against the heavens, and the night closed over him like all the waters of the world
nothing more can be said...
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

There's no more powerful moment in anything I've ever read. The owner of my favorite comic store and I were discussing that scene, how we look around as we're reading, hoping nobody's watching us tough-guys crying into a book.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”