Clues in the glossary?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

jehannum_2000
Stonedownor

Clues in the glossary?

Post by jehannum_2000 »

Reading through the glossary of AATE I came across a couple of things that stuck out. For example:
quellvisk: a kind of monster, now apparently extinct
It's the 'apparently' that's interesting. I wonder if this gives a hint at the final book.

Also curious was the entry for ur-viles: "Demondim-spawn, evil creatures". One would think they merited a little more than that now.

Interesting that the entries about the Clave are in the present tense. This could be simply that the glossary was copied from earlier chronicles and extended, or it could represent the broken nature of time.

Has anyone else found anything that might be worthy of note in the glossary?
Seppi2112
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Seppi2112 »

Given his treatment from his publishers I believe that the glossaries have been copied directly from each series to the next with new terms added as the arise.

For instance, Quellvisk appears in FR's glossary and is copied into AATE's. I'd guess that the choice of "apparently" is in relation to the information given about the creatures in FR, and not an indication of further usage in TLD. Given the conclusion of AATE I think that particular thread has been sufficiently picked up, heh.
<i>"Kupo?"</i>
DrPaul
Giantfriend

Post by DrPaul »

Here's another thought. At some point in The Last Dark Linden and friends need to find a way to get past the combined might of samadhi-in-the Sandgorgons, the skurj, and several thousand Cavewights, and this challenge could well drive her to a desperate response. The quellvisks seem to have had both the physical and the theurgical power to take on such opposition, and she may well attempt to summon some of them from the distant past in the (desperate, crazy) hope of turning them against the Sandgorgons, skurj, etc.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

DrPaul wrote:Here's another thought. At some point in The Last Dark Linden and friends need to find a way to get past the combined might of samadhi-in-the Sandgorgons, the skurj, and several thousand Cavewights, and this challenge could well drive her to a desperate response. The quellvisks seem to have had both the physical and the theurgical power to take on such opposition, and she may well attempt to summon some of them from the distant past in the (desperate, crazy) hope of turning them against the Sandgorgons, skurj, etc.
HAH...I'm playing that out in my brain various ways and boy it sounds fun and battletaculous.
But I like the sandies, and want a better end for them.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Vraith wrote:But I like the sandies, and want a better end for them.
Yeah, I was kind of sad when I learned that the Sandgorgons had come out evil due to consuming Raver-juice. I had hoped that "rending" was actually a nullification of the nastiness of a Raver. I, too, hope that the sandies get a better final act.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!

Return to “Against All Things Ending”