HBO Series

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

garmstrong
Servant of the Land

HBO Series

Post by garmstrong »

After having watched the first few episodes of GoT on HBO, I think this might be a much better medium for the Covenant books, it would give an open ended ammount of time to cover as many of the books as they wished. And HBO's presentation of GoT has been, IMO, really quite good.
Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I've always thought an HBO series would be able to do the Chronicles justice. I don't see it happening, but I would love to :)
Doug0915
Servant of the Land

Post by Doug0915 »

Akasri wrote:I've always thought an HBO series would be able to do the Chronicles justice. I don't see it happening, but I would love to :)
The problem with the Chronicles is that is that it's great but often REALLY depressing. The sense of hopelessness that pervades the novels would be a real drag on a TV plot.

Honestly though, the longer we wait (hopefully before I kick the bucket) the better an adaptation could be due to computer effects. Fantasy novels need LOTS of effects to work right. Think of the first novel in the Second Chronicles and how that would have to be done with special effects.

Secondly, it's not good for your audience if they start to hate the main character and I could see how some people would not be turned off but plain MAD/Angry at the Thomas Covenant character.

It would be REALLY tough to pull off. I'd pay tickets though. :)
amanibhavam
The Gap Into Spam

Post by amanibhavam »

The audience may get angry with TC (and they should! if it's done properly), but there are plenty of lovable characters to offset that.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
love is the shadow that ripens the wine

Languages of Middle-Earth community on Google Plus
Pink Floyd community on Google Plus
TheRegan
Servant of the Land

Post by TheRegan »

Wow, I had just had this thought the other day, maybe I can become famous enough of a director to make it someday. :P
hastypete
Servant of the Land

Post by hastypete »

Doug0915 wrote: The problem with the Chronicles is that is that it's great but often REALLY depressing. The sense of hopelessness that pervades the novels would be a real drag on a TV plot.
Have you seen or read Game of Thrones?!?
TCoTC is a happy story in comparison.

George RR Martin really does write every scene with the goal of "how can a @$# with this character." Honestly, I don't think anything good ever happens.
mhoram99
Servant of the Land

Post by mhoram99 »

HBO might be able to do this, but they would seem cheap. I'm afraid that one of the hardest things to do well would somehow be to indicate the presence of earthpower in the Land. There is no way directly to depict the extra senses of health and ill that this gives, but somehow it has to be indicated. This could come off very cheesy if done poorly or too cheaply. It would require money to make large vistas look realistic as well.

One less expensive way to do this, which would be very art-film-like, would be to shoot scenes from our world in black and white, or maybe sepiatone with some pale / washed-out colors. Then shoot the scenes in the Land in vivid color. The connection to the Wizard of Oz would be obvious, but that's appropriate enough in my view. There are some links between Oz and the Chronicles. The washed out impression of our world would convey something of the extra dimension of sense, and also indicate that these are serious films.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

hastypete wrote:
Doug0915 wrote: The problem with the Chronicles is that is that it's great but often REALLY depressing. The sense of hopelessness that pervades the novels would be a real drag on a TV plot.
Have you seen or read Game of Thrones?!?
TCoTC is a happy story in comparison.

George RR Martin really does write every scene with the goal of "how can a @$# with this character." Honestly, I don't think anything good ever happens.
Agree.. An HBO series would be a happy event compared to the Game of Thrones.

Game of Thrones is ; who is going to die next?

Chronicles of Thomas Covenant; There's hope in the world.

The Chronicles would take up to four to five years to portray if done correctly. In 20 week installments. 2 hour show time.
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
NomNomNom
Servant of the Land

Post by NomNomNom »

HBO might be able to do this, but they would seem cheap. I'm afraid that one of the hardest things to do well would somehow be to indicate the presence of earthpower in the Land. There is no way directly to depict the extra senses of health and ill that this gives, but somehow it has to be indicated. This could come off very cheesy if done poorly or too cheaply. It would require money to make large vistas look realistic as well.

One less expensive way to do this, which would be very art-film-like, would be to shoot scenes from our world in black and white, or maybe sepiatone with some pale / washed-out colors. Then shoot the scenes in the Land in vivid color. The connection to the Wizard of Oz would be obvious, but that's appropriate enough in my view. There are some links between Oz and the Chronicles. The washed out impression of our world would convey something of the extra dimension of sense, and also indicate that these are serious films.
My thoughts exactly. I was thinking some dull colors for our world and more vibrant colors for the Land. I was also thinking for obvious earthpower some rotoscope could be used (selectively), exaggerating the vibrancy of the objects in question (for those that don't know what rotoscope is, check out "A Scanner Darkly" and "Waking Life." It's a really interesting thing).

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”