Runes of the Earth - 1998 SRD chat!!

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Runes of the Earth - 1998 SRD chat!!

Post by Guest »

Info on the last chronicles from 1998?
Anthony Hopkins playing TC in a movie?
READ ON, GENTLE SRD FAN!!!

Here is an online chat I did with SRD in 1998 or so ... he's already figured out the basics of the 'Last Chronicles' then and says TC will 'destroy the universe' at the end. (my name is Mark Jeffrey and I've been a Kevinswatch lurker for about a year now ... in 1998 I had an internet chat company called the Palace that did celeb interviews, took the opportunity to get SRD on, of course :) John Eccker, a fellow SRD fan, was coproducer and posted the transcript on his site.)

Anyway, thought everyone would enjoy reading, now that 'Runes' is upon us for real!!!!
www.eccker.org/johnf/donaldson.htm
(click the leper)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Thank you. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

OMG so cool
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

He started writing LFB when he was 25?! 8O He was barely older than I am! 8O

I'm almost as amazed as when I found out Einstein had his Special Theory of Relativity done and dusted at the age of 26 8O
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

heh
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Thank you Mark!! I had actually read this a couple years ago :)

You should register, btw...no need to lurk in the shadows :D
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It's a great interview-we've prob had 6 topic-links to this in the history of the Watch, but it's alway good to refresh, especially for new people.
Last edited by danlo on Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!

Post by Guest »

Hey Danlo, all:
Mark here again and yes I should register, i know :) I came across this interview again by accident myself and wasn't sure if it was still up on kevinswatch (couldn't find it when i did a quick search, and seems a few people haven't seen it before .. and SRD interviews seem to be quite rare) so figured I'd repost ... sorry if i violated rules of site :(

Was mostly just excited to see the post of Runes / Amazon listing ... wanted to give back to my SRD peeps, yo. :)

- M
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Word up! Dog... :haha:
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Mark, I'm almost certain I've been to your site several times. I think I may even have quoted something off of it. Yep, just checked and I'm sure of it. Recently, I was looking for something from an interview I read, and I think this...
Dream: So how did you originally come to do the Covenant series? What was your inspiration?

I could talk for an hour on that question. My inspiration was the Lord of The Rings. But the intellectuals around me snubbed the Lord of the Rings. I was interested in fantasy, but could not find appreciation for it around me. So I created a world with a character who disbelieved in fantasy. ... All my readers want Covenant to accept the Land. "I am healed, so let's go." But that is the easy way out. Covenant wrestling with the issues of the reality was just the most interesting and only interesting option.
...was what I was looking for.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Post by Guest »

Danlo -
I think what you meant to say was
WURD up, dog!

- Cuv'nant, keepin' it (un)real
markjeffrey
Woodhelvennin

Post by markjeffrey »

Here we go, my first post as a registered user, complete with goofy signature. Ahh, I recommend it to all lurker Watchers as a cathartic, almost caamora-like, experience. :)
When you're done with 'Runes' :) ... check out www.pocketandpendant.com ... like a small, minty refreshment after the Main Course has been served!
DarkReflection
Ramen

Post by DarkReflection »

Greetings Mr. Jeffrey,

And welcome to the watch.

Did anyone else notice that Donaldson and King seem to have an almost identical philosophy when it comes to writing, both say somthing to the effect of 'applying the seat of your pants, to your chair.'

King says somthing similar in "On Writing."

That's all, just an observation.
And so on I walk the world,
a slave to this dark fiend,
traveling, traveling, held within a dream......
W.B.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by W.B. »

Great sig, yo.
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

DR, there is an interview King did with Amazon right before "Calla" was released, and in that interview he talked some about SRD. I posted the link somewhere here on the board...I'll see if I can find it. :D

Okay, I found it... It's a pretty interview, DR, enjoy :D

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/- ... 09-8958517
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
DarkReflection
Ramen

Post by DarkReflection »

Thank you, Furls. That was a pretty interview, I'm really looking foreward to the end of The Dark Tower, they were my favorite books until I read TCTC, and I figure that if any books can gain that title again, it will be The Dark Tower series, although thats doubtful really because while The Tower series, is an excellent journey, it just dosen't have the impact that The Chronicles do.

Well, it's very late, or early rather and I need to get an hour of sleep before this whole thing starts again.

So with that Goodnight all. Thank you for the PM sky. And thank you Furls, for that pretty interview. Goodnight ladies.

Oh and you gentlemen.

P.S. "Top o' the morn to you dear sky!"
And so on I walk the world,
a slave to this dark fiend,
traveling, traveling, held within a dream......
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

It's going to be an awesome year for us fantasy addicts...the last two DT books, DT6 in August, DT7 in November. Then Runes in October maybe. ROTK on DVD, the new Harry movie in June, Earthsea, Salem's Lot and Narnia all being adapted for movies and TV. WHEW!! :S How can you SLEEP, DR??? hehehe... Rest easy friend. :D :D
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”