XBOX Workers Threaten Suicide

Archive From The 'Tank
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Foxconn said in a statement that transfers were offered, not severance, and only to some workers.
If they had a severance package, in writing, then they could just take the company to court. Otherwise, it's "he said, she said."
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Ali, calling Chinese all think someone else should provide for them isn't racist. Saying they are eastern, well, that's just racist.
Harbinger
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Harbinger »

I STATED A FACT. CHINA IS A COMMUNIST COUNTRY. I ALSO SAID MAYBE.

You guys seriously need to understand the definition of racism before you start throwing that word around. Jesus christ. It's becoming the most misused word in the English language.
Never underestimate the power of denial. - Ricky Fitts
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Harbinger wrote:I STATED A FACT. CHINA IS A COMMUNIST COUNTRY. I ALSO SAID MAYBE.

You guys seriously need to understand the definition of racism before you start throwing that word around. Jesus christ. It's becoming the most misused word in the English language.
Doesn't matter, you're racist.

It's racist for you to state facts about non-whites, non-Americans, or non-Christians. Truly, you should have known.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Cail wrote:
Harbinger wrote:I STATED A FACT. CHINA IS A COMMUNIST COUNTRY. I ALSO SAID MAYBE.

It's racist for you to state facts about non-whites, non-Americans, or non-Christians. Truly, you should have known.
But...Communism is not a race. So how could it be racist?
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

MsMary wrote:
Cail wrote:

But...Communism is not a race. So how could it be racist?
Outstanding question. You'll have to ask one of the accusers the answer.

Probably Bush's fault.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

wayfriend wrote:Ali, calling Chinese all think someone else should provide for them isn't racist. Saying they are eastern, well, that's just racist.
I don't think that was racist either, but I didn't really understand your comment, so I didn't bother commenting on it. In harbinger's case, he wasn't saying b/c they were Chinese, but b/c they were communists. Its pretty clear, b/c he used the word Communists. Now, if saying someone is communist (regardless of the validity) is racism, we're all a little dumber.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

What *I* read in Harbinger's statement was this: All Chinese are Communists; all Communists are lazy; therefore, all Chinese are lazy.

Certainly the Chinese who have escaped China are not Communists, and I have no reason to believe that all the Chinese who are *not* Communists have made it out of China. I think he made a generalization based on their race. And then he denigrated them based on that generalization. Hence, racist. 'Kay?

If I misread what he wrote, then I apologize. But I don't think I did.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

No ali, he's denigrating communism, that's for sure. But claiming Chinese are communists is only observation - they are a communist country, and have been for a few decades now. Sorry, but as mentioned by others, the term is abused today, and a pet peeve of mine.
--Andy

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Weez, it's a pet peeve of mine when stuff like this gets by around here. I understand one of our European Watchers left because of ignorant sweeping generalizations made here in the Tank about Scandinavians, and about Europeans in general. This is the same thing, only we don't have any Chinese Watchers to object.

There's a difference between saying, "China is a Communist country" (i.e., run by Communists) and saying, "All Chinese are Communists" (i.e., all of 'em chose to live under a Communist regime and are as happy as pigs in shit to do so). I've explained that all Chinese are *not* Communists. Phrasing *does* make a difference.

And as for the statement, "Communists all feel like they're entitled to government handouts," I wish you guys who feel that way would talk to somebody who had to stand in line for hours for ill-fitting shoes and crappy cuts of meat when the Soviet Union was in charge of Eastern Europe.

Sometimes the level of American-centric ignorance around here astounds me.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I agree, ali.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's astounding, but here I thought that China was a communist country. That makes all of China's inhabitants communist. No one made the claim that they were happy communists.

It's a pet peeve of mine when people make things up to get upset about.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

I'm sorry your upset, Cail. But when someone essentially says they're Chinese so they believe someone should provide for them, that's not nice.

I am sorry that people keep making up outrageous facts like: someone has found it offensive to point out that they have a communist government. That must be the made up stuff that upsets you, I bet.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

wayfriend wrote:I'm sorry your upset, Cail. But when someone essentially says they're Chinese so they believe someone should provide for them, that's not nice.

I am sorry that people keep making up outrageous facts like: someone has found it offensive to point out that they have a communist government. That must be the made up stuff that upsets you, I bet.
Well, since no one made that claim (other than you just now), this would be another example of you confabulating.

Sort of like your assumption that I'm upset.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Cail wrote:It's astounding, but here I thought that China was a communist country. That makes all of China's inhabitants communist.
No, it doesn't. Not anymore than all Americans are Democrats because Obama is President. Communism is an ideology as well as a party; not all Chinese are party members (really), and certainly not all of them subscribe to the ideology. So not all China's inhabitants are Communists.

As for the topic here...I have a hard time, as an American where workers' rights are enshrined in law and tradition (slowly being eroded, but still there), condemning workers living under a highly repressive regime and largely without rights, and begrudging them their right to protest, which is what they are doing. You have to win your rights, especially when you're going up against vested interests who don't think you should have any. We tend to forget that in this country, but our rights weren't given to us until they were forced to be handed over by reluctant powers.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Lord Mhoram wrote:
Cail wrote:It's astounding, but here I thought that China was a communist country. That makes all of China's inhabitants communist.
No, it doesn't. Not anymore than all Americans are Democrats because Obama is President. Communism is an ideology as well as a party; not all Chinese are party members (really), and certainly not all of them subscribe to the ideology. So not all China's inhabitants are Communists.
Communism is China's political system. All Chinese people are communists in the same way that all Americans are democratists.

I suspect everyone understood the original intent, but just felt like nit-picking.
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Exactly. To say its racist, b/c 100% of Chinese do not consider themselves communist is pure nonsense. Its a communist country, and the claim was communists are lazy. Doesn't matter whether they are Chinese, Russian, Cuban, American, European. Therefore, its not about their race, its about 2 things - their nationality and system of government. Stop being babies.

I'm reminded of Z's constant claims of liberalism and victimhood, and this is a perfect example. Saying communists are lazy is now racist. Whatever. Keeping looking for victims I guess.

ali, whether commies are lazy or not is another matter, and certainly would've been a legit argument to respond with, rather than racism, which is just lame.
--Andy

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

It's not lame, Weez. The implication is certainly there. It's a way of demonizing the Other --the Other being anyone who's a different color and/or a different religion and/or speaks a different language at home. This is how ethnic wars start, for godsakes.

Not to mention the "communists are lazy" observation is ridiculous on its face, considering China's economy is beating the crap out of ours at the moment. If they're all so lazy, how could that be happening? :roll:

I had a visceral reaction to the post, and I gave my honest opinion of it; now the usual suspects are in the process of shredding it. I tell you guys that we have lost members because of your attitudes, and clearly y'all don't care, because, you know, America is #1.

What the freak ever. Enjoy your colonialism and have a nice day. :roll:

EZ Board Survivor

Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

aliantha wrote:It's not lame, Weez. The implication is certainly there. It's a way of demonizing the Other --the Other being anyone who's a different color and/or a different religion and/or speaks a different language at home. This is how ethnic wars start, for godsakes.

Not to mention the "communists are lazy" observation is ridiculous on its face, considering China's economy is beating the crap out of ours at the moment. If they're all so lazy, how could that be happening? :roll:

I had a visceral reaction to the post, and I gave my honest opinion of it; now the usual suspects are in the process of shredding it. I tell you guys that we have lost members because of your attitudes, and clearly y'all don't care, because, you know, America is #1.

What the freak ever. Enjoy your colonialism and have a nice day. :roll:
Holy overreaction Batman!

The implication wasn't there. You made an incorrect inference. You've then blown that (mistaken) inference completely out of proportion ("visceral" reaction? Really?), and turned it into an "us versus them" pro-America rant.

No offense Ali, but you're the one guilty of making the broad generalization(s) here.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Cail wrote:Sort of like your assumption that I'm upset.
I was kind of hoping you would say, "Kind of like your assumption that ... oops, I see. I get it, that's what *I* did. Ha ha, very funny, you made your point."

Return to “Coercri”