Best Television Drama of All Time?

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

So, which one is the best?

Poll ended at Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:04 am

Breaking Bad
12%
The Wire
6%
The Sopranos
12%
Deadwood
18%
Lost
18%
Battlestar Galactica
24%
Northern Exposure
12%

Total votes: 17

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

That'd be "Best "American" Television Drama of all Time" then?
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Are you trying to imply that other countries have their own television? Silly finn.

Anyhoo... I didn't participate because I don't think it's possible to pick a best of all time in pretty much any category, because it's possible to succeed in so many different ways that there can be many that are equally good for different reasons.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

You're right, Murrin. I always try to narrow Top 5 lists down to 10 or 15.

The exception being this one. NX is the best television show of all time. Everybody - yes, even Star Trek and Kung Fu - is just fighting for second place.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

No "The Prisoner"?
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Kil Tyme
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Kil Tyme »

Hey, 24 got a second, but not on the poll....

(well, I think Z seconded it)
Cowboy: Why you doin' this, Doc?
Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.
Cowboy: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.
Doc Holliday: ... I don't.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Z seconded Lost.

And guys, it's not like this poll went up after a single day or anything.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Murrin wrote:Are you trying to imply that other countries have their own television? Silly finn.

Anyhoo... I didn't participate because I don't think it's possible to pick a best of all time in pretty much any category, because it's possible to succeed in so many different ways that there can be many that are equally good for different reasons.
You'd hate to have Spooks or Cracker or Between the Lines up there wouldn't you. By the way how is Northern Exposure "drama"? If that can be there then how about Boston Legal, Doc Martin or Fawlty Towers even? No West Wing, no ER maybe the Poll should be re-named to "Best contemporary sort-of-light middle-of-the-road comedic-type American Drama"
"Winston, if you were my husband I'd give you poison" ................ "Madam, if you were my wife I would drink it!"

Cameraman Jenn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cameraman Jenn »

Wow, such bitterness. I voted BSG. Some of the series on the poll I have not seen but I thought BSG out of the ones I have seen.
Now if I could just find a way to wear live bees as jewelry all the time.....

www.fantasybedtimehour.com
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Sorry, "I'd rather whinge than meaningfully participate in the selection of poll options and, later, the voting process" won't fit on a poll line.

Are you suggesting any of those actually be put in the poll? I'm kind of partial to Luther, myself, though as good as Elba was in that, he was still better as Stringer Bell in The Wire.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I voted for The Sopranos. My wife and I just finished re-watching all 6 seasons, and it's consistently great throughout. I struggled though between Sopranos and BSG, which I would have to say is my favorite, but I believe Sopranos the better drama.
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

[Syl] wrote:Sorry, "I'd rather whinge than meaningfully participate in the selection of poll options and, later, the voting process" won't fit on a poll line.

Are you suggesting any of those actually be put in the poll? I'm kind of partial to Luther, myself, though as good as Elba was in that, he was still better as Stringer Bell in The Wire.
Well I have voted for what I think the best of the avaiable choices (Sopranos) the Wire too was good. However I think that NE is not exactly what I'd term drama and that if it is included then why not other comedy based dramas. As for British and European series, that might still be a step too far from the couch for most US audiences............ ;)

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Isn't a comedy-based drama, by definition, a drama? Everything on the list has some funny moments in it (well, I'm only assuming for Sopranos. I've never seen it, myself). I mean, if that's the criteria for what makes good drama, I'd think that BSG, probably the unfunniest of the series, would have to win.

OTOH, if somebody had nominated other comedy-based dramas, it would be equally valid to vote for them. It's not exactly a scientific process here.
-George Steiner
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I started watching Breaking Bad based on this thread. Cool show! We just started season 2.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Hey Zed, I 'had' to do the promo launch for BB when it started in Oz and I remember thinking, 15 mins into the first ep, "You know what, sometimes my job is OKAY." :D

It lost me a bit in S3, but friends say I should try again. Interested to hear your thoughts if/when you get that far.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Best drama of all time?
finn bitching about the choices of a poll that he had no interest in helping make in the first place, and which even the people who did participate don't take even slightly seriously

A bit long-winded, as tv show titles go, but when else have we seen such drama?
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

Just wait for Season 2! :twisted:

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

I dunno, as a non-American, I liked finn's show!

But anyway, as Shirley Bennett said to Jeff Winger in one of the Best Television Comedies of All Time....

"Jeff you don't need to worry about what foreigners think about you, that's your birthright as an American."
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:It lost me a bit in S3, but friends say I should try again. Interested to hear your thoughts if/when you get that far.
Just finished S3, and now I'm jonesing for S4 (sorry, drug references are simply unavoidable ... I find myself suddenly saying "bitch" and "yo" a lot more, too). Looks like I can stream S4 on computer from various sources, but I don't way to pay $31 for something I can watch for free in a few months.

S3 was simply amazing. Best season so far. The ending was intense. They keep finding ways to squeeze every ounce of tension out of a plot that is entirely character driven. Each episode ended with all of us wanting more. We watched it compulsively, for hours on end, feeling like some of meth heads and addicts depicted in the show, stuck to the couch for want of our next "fix." Some of the most anxious moments came from The Fly episode, which involved no crime, no drugs, no violence ... just a fly in the lab and a big fat juicy secret between Walt and Jessie, on the verge of spilling out from a sleeping pill laced coffee (okay, so there was a small amount of drugs :) ).
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “TV Shows”