Worst book of the chronicles?

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Welcome, Joe! Good to have a new voice around here! I'd suggest introducing yourself here: kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3880
This way, you can begin to meet more members quicker and they can meet you.

Also, since this topic is The First and Second Chronicles forum, there is to be no spoilers from the Last Chronicles (nobody has done so recently, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded :))

If you wish to discuss specific plot points of Against All Things Ending, you'll have to follow the link here:

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=750270#750270

This will make the AATE forum visible to you (it's hidden to prevent others from stumbling on spoilers).

Happy posting!
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Joe the Lion
Servant of the Land

Post by Joe the Lion »

Orlion wrote:Welcome, Joe! Good to have a new voice around here! I'd suggest introducing yourself here: kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3880

Also, since this topic is The First and Second Chronicles forum, there is to be no spoilers from the Last Chronicles (nobody has done so recently, but it doesn't hurt to be reminded :))

If you wish to discuss specific plot points of Against All Things Ending, you'll have to follow the link here:

This will make the AATE forum visible to you (it's hidden to prevent others from stumbling on spoilers).

Happy posting!
Right, thanks for the info. Feel free to delete my initial post - and the replies...and this. I suppose some people may find anothers disdain a spoiler. :lol:
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Joe the Lion wrote:
Orlion wrote:Welcome, Joe! Good to have a new voice around here! I'd suggest introducing yourself here: kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3880

Happy posting!
Right, thanks for the info. Feel free to delete my initial post - and the replies...and this. I suppose some people may find anothers disdain a spoiler. :lol:
Yeah, I'm sure there are people who find opinions to be spoilers to, but in my realm, I decide what constitutes as such :twisted: So your posts are safe.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

but in my realm, I decide what constitutes as such
Orlion the Mod, mad with power. ;)
jonnyredleader
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jonnyredleader »

changed my mind, TWL now tops the worst. its not that its all changed, i could deal with that its that theres no world or sense of a setting. just a couple of half mad tribes dotted around a desert world and a few people in revelstone.i didnt feel like id escaped anywhere. Still, i read the whole thing and its not bad just my least fave
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

TWL was great on an initial read. It's different from Donaldson's 'set 'em up before you knock 'em down' style... which shows. Linden and Covenant don't have time to take stock before they have to flee from bloodthirsty rituals, warped creatures, or killer weather.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
jonnyredleader
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jonnyredleader »

I think I just missed that sense of epicness that the rest of the books had, we had epic bees and an epic battle with.. A tentacle. Foul just didn't seem present and the ravers less malign or threatening than before or afterwards. Have to say though I loved andelain, having been stripped of all that I loved in the 1st chrons it was very heart warming and emotional to meet his friends. Even if they were dead ha
Zenlunatic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Zenlunatic »

What the F is this thread?...Least favorite book of the Chronicles...come on, that's like asking what's your least favorite way to have an orgasm...BJ, straight, masturbation, something kinky...dude, it don't matter cause it all cums out the same in the end...when you compare these books to all the other "dross" that's out there...and believe me there is a lot of "deflating" stuff out there...there is no "least favorite"...these books are a breath of fresh air in a cess pool of fantasy literature...
"I have all the best words."
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:goodpost:
fall far and well Pilots!
jonnyredleader
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by jonnyredleader »

Easy tiger! It's a forum and that means we discuss these books because we love them, all topics are just an excuse to wax lyrical or we wouldn't even bother to post. Despite the negative connotations of the thread what you'll actually find is that some peoples least favourite book is someone elses favourite, it's just an excuse to debate why. Now calm down, have a biscuit and a nice cup of tea :D
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

The One Tree. Hands down.

The reason: Most of the story is from Linden's POV and she is pretty much useless/traitorous. I kept hoping throughout the story that the First would get tired of her whining and toss her overboard, or Brinn would backhand her with all of his Haruchai strength.

Despite many re-reads of the first two Chronicles, my least dog-eared copy is The One Tree.
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

My least favourite book is Fatal Revenant. (I keep wanting to call it Fatal "Revetment" for some reason, and I had to look Revenant up in the dictionary!).
Spoiler
The length of time it takes Lindon to realise that TC is not really TC is very frustrating; I guessed while they were talking at Revelstone. The red eyes, TC's laid backness (when was he ever laid back?), the chumminess with Jeremiah and his tic, TC's way of speaking, don't touch me! Dr. Who did it much better as Mad Eye Moody using polyjuice! I didn't guess that one till the end of that book.

FR was redeemed by the visit to Berek, the scene under MS, the Mahdoubt's and CW's appearance, and of course the rest of the book. I loved the bit where Linden sewed the patch onto the Mahdoubt's dress.
Strangely, my One Tree is falling apart! Must get another.
Spoiler
:oops:
Last edited by Iolanthe on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

By the way, are words like "coruscation" in general use in the US today? There are several words used many times in the books that I've never heard of. The Concise Oxford Dictionary, fortunately, has them all.

It is interesting that a word like "diaper" has survived in the US whereas this is a word I have only seen in 17th century inventories over here (twilled white linen cloth woven with geometric patterns, used as towels or napkins for drying hands during meals; also as table cloths. Originally made in Ypres, Belgium; hence the name (d'Ypres) - Words from Wills, Stuart A. Raymond), but not used now.
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Thank goodness, I am so embarassed at posting to the wrong place. I saw the message previous to mine, went somewhere else, then couldn't find it again so I searched on "worst book" which was all I could remember of the subject title and didn't realise it was in 2nd Chronicles. I'll be much more careful in future! :(
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Iolanthe wrote:Thank goodness, I am so embarassed at posting to the wrong place. I saw the message previous to mine, went somewhere else, then couldn't find it again so I searched on "worst book" which was all I could remember of the subject title and didn't realise it was in 2nd Chronicles. I'll be much more careful in future! :(
Hey, turn that frown upside down! :D It's all good, that's why we have moderators! Besides, you more than made up for it with that etymology factoid there!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Well, thank you Orlion, now I feel much better :-)
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

I really disliked The Power That Preserves. I can't lay out a specific reason, just the overall tone of the book turned me off.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

bikebryan wrote:I really disliked The Power That Preserves. I can't lay out a specific reason, just the overall tone of the book turned me off.
8O Wow. I didn't see that coming! I mean, I know everything's subjective and all, but... Sheesh, how can TPTP not be an Absolute Good???

:lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

Actually, I'd say for me it is either TPTP or TWL. TPTP has a powerful ending, but it takes so long to get there. And I agree - it's the mood of the piece overall. As for TWL, it has a solid beginning, but starts to twat out by the end. Kind of like ROTE did, although both are set-up books for what is to come. But TWL does have a solid middle in Andelain.
I've heard criticism about The One Tree, but I enjoyed it. It was nice and interesting seeing outside of the area we have always been exposed to, even if it isn't always fun. Covenant spends so much time out of it, but I liked the feel of the book overall. And Nom made it worth it.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
bikebryan
Ramen

Post by bikebryan »

Fist and Faith wrote:
bikebryan wrote:I really disliked The Power That Preserves. I can't lay out a specific reason, just the overall tone of the book turned me off.
8O Wow. I didn't see that coming! I mean, I know everything's subjective and all, but... Sheesh, how can TPTP not be an Absolute Good???

:lol:
I'd have to say it was the pace. The entire book just creeped along. Anymore if I pick it up I go straight to the end, which was powerful. The entire rest of the book I could do without.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”