Acropolis Discussion

Moderator: [Syl]

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:Some more food for thought -- liminality.
*snort*

I should have checked here before responding to the email...

Still, a reply would still be welcome. Just so I have a little more clarity on how to go about what I'm attempting.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Update to the rules in the following areas:

Realms (player movement between)
Human Free Will (mostly new concept)
High Priests (holy place)
Feast Days and Holy Months (holy place)
Mythic Time (new concept)
Turn Submissions (new directions/requirements)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Submitted turns may be amended to take into account the Trial or rule updates (though I must sanction your holy place before you use it in a submission). Let me know if you plan to make any changes that aren't turned in by the deadline, and I can extend you some time.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I might need to amend. Alas, I have no idea what's going on, so I can't tell. :lol:
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

So can a High Priest go to the other realms through this holy place? Can we move from realm to realm non-dsp? I'm getting more and more lost with this game with every post you make. :lol:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Do you believe it would be possible to wage a war against another god within the metaphorical plane, without a war occuring in the physical realm?

I guess this question stems from two things, firstly uncertainty remaining about what kind of activity is possible in the other planes (I mean, are there places, beings, within those planes? If you can't just treat them as more territory, and gods are the only ones allowed there, than what can you actually do in those realms?). And secondly, how do events on the other realms impact upon the central realm (what is the connection between the realms)?

The whole realms thing is still the least comprehensible part of this game, to me.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Fist and Faith wrote:So can a High Priest go to the other realms through this holy place?
Yes, but it could seriously affect taking sacrifices if for too long.
Can we move from realm to realm non-dsp?
Yes, but only 1 realm for 1 DSP action (regardless of how many DSP you use for that action). If you make 1 1-DSP action, you can change realms 1 time. 2 2-DSP, twice. 1 1-DSP and 1 2-DSP, twice.
Do you believe it would be possible to wage a war against another god within the metaphorical plane, without a war occuring in the physical realm?
Possible, sure. But I'm uncomfortable with the idea of war at all. It'd be like going to war against your brother. You'd probably have to have a really good reason.
I mean, are there places, beings, within those planes?
Probably. Players will define these things as much as I do, and I'm deliberately taking things slowly (so I don't explode any more heads like Fists')
...then what can you actually do in those realms?
The sky, or more likely, the players' imagination, is the limit.
And secondly, how do events on the other realms impact upon the central realm (what is the connection between the realms)?
You're asking me to explain the magic trick. Some things might affect, others might not. That's up to players' designs and my whims. But for now, I'm trying to keep the other realms as more or less blank slates.
-George Steiner
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

If the other realms have no content, no rules, and no visible impingement on the central realm of the game, how would anyone know where to start?

(This is the one thing I'm still "stuck" on.)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I've been waiting to see if any players take the initiative, though I do have ideas that I plan on rolling out, either in results or as new Trials. Also, some players are taking tentative steps, so I want to be careful not to squash any ideas before they even get started.

Essentially, I'm trying to define the structure of a world-building initiative without entirely dictating the content (as gods, I would think that'd be an area that players would relish). If Pantheon and Aesir are Disc World, I want Acropolis to be Malazan. But besides being too much work to do myself, I think it would rob players of an essential experience in the game.
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Thing is, we don't understand what that experience can be, in any sense at all. What the Greek gods did in Olympus, and the Aesir did in Asgard, didn't (iirc?) do anything to or for the mortals on Earth. I could spend time and power building a replica of Shen up above. But if the Gont can't see it or interact with it, then the power is just gone.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

[Syl] wrote:If Pantheon and Aesir are Disc World, I want Acropolis to be Malazan.

Having never read either (except for the first 200 pages or so of Malazan), this comment is flying way over my head.
Fist and Faith wrote:Thing is, we don't understand what that experience can be, in any sense at all. What the Greek gods did in Olympus, and the Aesir did in Asgard, didn't (iirc?) do anything to or for the mortals on Earth. I could spend time and power building a replica of Shen up above. But if the Gont can't see it or interact with it, then the power is just gone.
Fist, I am keeping this in mind from the rules...
The Autarch wrote:Another note is that I will be implementing a risk and reward system rather than using dice or other random event generators.
From discussion with The Autarch privately, I am regarding the other realms as areas to experiment and take chances in. For once, I did enter one of these games with an idea in mind, and was given several options for attempting to do it. Some potentially easier and taking less power to do than others. But, those options don't fit the story I have in mind.

If The Autarch doesn't mind me sharing one thing he said which resonated with me...
The Autarch wrote:True, but there could be other rewards for a more thorough approach.
So, while what I want to try may not help my stats, nor necessarily even my tribe, I am being encouraged (?) to play my vision, within the rules.

Now, this does not mean I'm not going to have crap for doing so thrown at me which I am also going to have to deal with. But I've always been a reactionary player rather than an innovative one anyway. So, for me, it's all good.

I still have to write up the actual turn though.
oy...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Menolly wrote:
[Syl] wrote:If Pantheon and Aesir are Disc World, I want Acropolis to be Malazan.

Having never read either (except for the first 200 pages or so of Malazan), this comment is flying way over my head.
I'm reading this as, vast in scope in comparison.
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Fist and Faith wrote:Thing is, we don't understand what that experience can be, in any sense at all. What the Greek gods did in Olympus, and the Aesir did in Asgard, didn't (iirc?) do anything to or for the mortals on Earth. I could spend time and power building a replica of Shen up above. But if the Gont can't see it or interact with it, then the power is just gone.
I suppose, but why would you want to rebuild Shen? Isn't one good enough? :mrgreen:

I think I have to strongly disagree with your take, though. Consider, the Greeks had a lot of gods (the Romans even more), yet who were the important ones (plus Hades, who ruled the underworld)? Sure, the other ones had their own sects or festivals, but who are the ones that got the big temples, the statues, or even cities named after them? Now, I'm not quite as up on my Norse mythology, but it also seems that those who sit on high hold most of the cards. It's positional strength -- potential energy as opposed to kinetic. And the more power a god has, the more followers (and temples, statues, festivals, etc.). The more he or she can, in theory, do for or against mortals.

Menolly, while I do believe in the risk and reward system, that wasn't what I meant. Just that if you take a more robust approach to a situation, it will likely have greater use/value -- for story-telling purposes if nothing else.

Stone, that's definitely a big part of it. The other thing is that in Disc World (thinking Colour of Magic, specifically), the gods are more of looking down at the world like a giant game board, using characters as pawns in a game. In the Malazan Book of the Fallen, the gods are actually a part of the world (often literally).
-George Steiner
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

hoo-kay.
Here goes nothing.

Third attempt at submitting turn sent...

[hoping I understand this "first person perspective" thing now]
Aisha
Stonedownor

Post by Aisha »

I know I'm not imagining things... Didn't the first post of one thread or another say something like it has now been 300 years since the great War?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Yes, I remember that, and something was said along the lines of doing big things in "Mythic Time" did not necessarily have to meet the atheist test, as it was moot during the great War. But I don't see that reference anymore.

I may just be looking past it though.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yes, it was in the Map and History thread. But since there was no map and most of the important history is the Origination thread, I just deleted it.

As for mythic time:
Mythic Time

For the same DSP required of a similar action in present game time, a god may choose to state an action he or she took in some part of the world's early past. It cannot alter the known history or change the results of any player's previous turns, but it does not necessarily need to make perfect sense. ["If Blopadar had spider-eating, flying monkeys, why didn't he use them when the Spider Queen attacked him last turn." I guess because he forgot?].

The advantage of this is that in the very early days, the rules weren't quite set. Especially during the big war, the atheist test would have been pointless. It could also retcon the player's history to flesh out his or her background, provide depth, etc. Basically, it allows you to do some of the big bad stuff in or involving the mortal plane as you may be used to in other games while keeping the world intact.

If taking advantage of this, be sure to make it clear in your turn submission. It's your responsibility to make sure there are no kinks to the history. You may not combine mythic time actions with game time actions in the same submission. If something in the forum needs to be edited to reflect this, it is your responsibility to let me know.
-George Steiner
Aisha
Stonedownor

Post by Aisha »

Yeah, I was pretty sure I saw it. :lol: My Locus awaits your approval. heh
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Shen wrote:My Locus awaits your approval.
Where?
-George Steiner
Aisha
Stonedownor

Post by Aisha »

PM? It's there in my Outbox.

Return to “Acropolis”