What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Shaun das Schaf »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:Kindred, Octavia E. Butler.
And now Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler.
Oh and I got an ereader. Why have I not had an ereader before?
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:Oh and I got an ereader. Why have I not had an ereader before?
I give up. Why? ;)

What kind did you get? I had a Sony Reader for the longest time. Then Magickmaker talked me into getting a Nook last fall. Perversely, tho, I seem to be using the Kindle app on my phone more than the Nook. :roll:

Oh yeah -- Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

I Kindled it. Just the basic one, though wondering if I should have gone touch.

No ereading apps on my phone because... this is my phone... :biggrin:

From what I've read, you like your nook yes?

Ooo and just so I'm not TOTALLY off topic... The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell is next in my 'What SF are reading now' queue.
Although I really should go back to Midnight Tides, but I just can't get into it.
Then again, I don't want to be stranded in the middle of this series, with the remaining 5 books already bought on my shelf!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Well, yeah, that kind of phone does cut down on the number of apps you can get....

I do like the Nook (and I'd say that even if Magickmaker didn't work at B&N :lol:). But the eInk screens have their advantages, too -- altho reading in the dark isn't one of them. ;) The Nook is certainly better for reading on a dark portion of a Metro platform. That said, I rarely use the Nook for anything but reading. If I had it to do over again, I'd likely get the Color instead of the Tablet. Ah well, live and learn...

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Just finished The Soldier Son by Robin Hobb. Good book, well written with good ideas and interesting characters. Does feel a bit stretched though, the old one-book-stretched-to-three scenario.

I've read some of Hobbs books before, The Assassin's Apprentice and others in the Farseer Trilogy. Again interesting, well-written books; worth a look.

u.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Finished Blood Follows by Steven Erikson a couple days ago. Yes, I just got the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach omnibus, and yes, I'm counting them as three different books. So there :|
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

Finished my reread of This Day All Gods Die...what a ride. I'll probably reread these again one day. And again.

By the way, this was the e-book version, and the amount of scan mistakes was terrible. "Director Donner" became "Director Dormer" a lot, "we'll" became "weil" etc.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Shaun das Schaf wrote:

Oooh, I haven't read Fledgling, but Kindred was an awesome read! :D
I'm reading The Hunger Games - not allowing myself to see the movie until I've finished. And a few months ago I read Charles Stross' The Atrocity Archives and The Jennifer Morgue. He's really amazing!
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pullman.

Northern Lights has gone missing. Now who did I lend it to? :roll:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Good books.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

How great is it seeing birdy around again!? :D
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Finished the Chronicles of the Black Company. Pretty good. You have to wonder just how reliable a narrator Croaker is, given that he seems to always be the hero of his own annals.

He does come across as honest, but it's an awfully big coincidence that he's the one that gets picked out to participate in absolutely everything of importance.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

Murrin wrote:Finished the Chronicles of the Black Company. Pretty good. You have to wonder just how reliable a narrator Croaker is, given that he seems to always be the hero of his own annals.

He does come across as honest, but it's an awfully big coincidence that he's the one that gets picked out to participate in absolutely everything of importance.
Think about this, too :
Spoiler
Information seems to be powerful stuff in this world. If some force antagonistic to the Company got a hold of the Annals and everything was reliable information, they could probably do some serious damage to the Company.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Hard to say, since you can't tell what was written when. (There's a section in The White Rose where the words he uses makes it clear that one part was written before he left the Plain of Fear the first time, but other parts imply knowledge from much later in the story.) The only sorcerors whose true names are found there are those who are already dead or powerless by the time it was written.

I guess the one point could be the mentions of the White Rose in the first two books, but think of this: How did the Lady find Darling's true name? My guess is the annals she captured told her enough about where Darling came from for her to find it. So the books kind of, obliquely, hang a lantern on your very point.

(It's not like Cook does much in the books that isn't oblique - he doesn't lay all his cards on the table, say.)
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

birdandbear wrote:
Shaun das Schaf wrote:

Oooh, I haven't read Fledgling, but Kindred was an awesome read! :D
Hello birdandbear, pleased to meet you.

I really enjoyed Kindred too, but unfortunately found Fledgling VERY disappointing, felt like it was written by a non-writer. Interested to hear what anyone else here who's read it thought but yeah, I'm glad it wasn't the first book of Octavia's I read because I wouldn't have read any others! As it happens, Parable of the Sower is next on my list, when I finish Midnight Tides.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Started The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman by Angela Carter.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

The Lees of Laughter's End by Steven Erikson.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Shaun das Schaf
The Gap Into Spam

Murrin wrote:Started The Infernal Desire Machines of Doctor Hoffman by Angela Carter.
I've been meaning to read that for years. Let me know what you think so I know whether to bunny-hop it to the front of a very long to-read line.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

(double-post)
Last edited by Linna Heartbooger on Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I'm doing what looks like it'll shape up to being my first full re-read of Lord Foul's Bane ...I am enjoying it; pacing myself this time.
birdandbear wrote:I'm reading The Hunger Games - not allowing myself to see the movie until I've finished...
Yayyy, "Hunger Games"!
You have a teenager and a pre-teen, apparently.. so I have to ask.. have either/both of your kids read it? :-D
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”