Best Star Trek opening sequence?

Talk about both the movies and the books.

Moderator: aTOMiC

What is the best show opener/title sequence of the Star Trek series?

Star Trek
50%
Star Trek: The Next Generation
No votes
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
30%
Star Trek: Voyager
20%

Total votes: 10

Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Best Star Trek opening sequence?

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

I always liked the TNG opener, but really that was sort of a rip-off of the original, which I bet was pretty cool when it first came out (still is). But the reason I bring this up is because I started watching DS9 from the beginning a couple months ago.

In case you are unfamiliar with DS9, it actually called Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, and what it is, is Star Trek's depressing, lonely, sort of emo, obscure cousin. I actually really, really, really like the first ten or fifteen seconds or so. It is a bit long, but those first few seonds are incredible enough to make up for its needless length.

Basically, you see an asteroid or comet or something like that, space junk, floating through space, leaving a nice pretty trail of blue bits, and then the camera pans away from it, and you see the stars slowly moving in the background, so you know the camera is still panning, but all you see is stars for a couple moments, just empty space. Then, DS9 comes into the picture as the camera continues to pan, but it is little itty bitty, taking up just a small little section down there in the bottom right corner of the picture. Now, we know DS9 is pretty big, but our view at that moment is from far, far away. And that is sort of the theme of the show. They are just sort of by themselves, far away from the "action" of the Federation, all by themselves out there.

I probably like it so much, because I relate to it. I am sort of off by myself. But darn it, I sure do think that is an appropriate opener. Real artistic or whatever a classy person might say :P
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulBiter »

DS9 started out a bit weak but the last few seasons were some of the best 'Trek' ever!!! I hated to see it end....
We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch Image
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

What, no Star Trek: Enterprise? It's like you're trying to forget it ever existed :P
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Star Trek classic. as is the answer with all Start Trek questions.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I have to go with the TOS opening.

I particularly disliked the music from Enterprise and usually muted my television whenever watching the show.

I thought the opening music for DS9 and Voyager shared the same tone and therefore didn't fill the viewer with the sense of adventure that TOS and STNG did. The visuals however were quite good on the Voyager opening and to a lesser extent the DS9 images.

All in all though only the TOS opening almost insisted that the viewer guess which tiny white dot was a star or was the Enterprise's Point of Beginning before shooting past the screen at warp speed. :-)

www.youtube.com/embed/QGnTfg-MUhs
Last edited by aTOMiC on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Shuram Gudatetris
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Shuram Gudatetris »

Orlion wrote:What, no Star Trek: Enterprise? It's like you're trying to forget it ever existed :P
It's funny, not too long ago I came and checked on this thread, and saw that indeed there was no Enterprise option. I thought I did put it on there. I admit I never watched it, though.
Covenant is Linden Frankenstein's monster.

I maxed-out Tetris!
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

The Original Series.

The original Battlestar Galactica theme is the best one though.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

High Lord Tolkien wrote:The Original Series.

The original Battlestar Galactica theme is the best one though.
Well if you are going to go outside Star Trek for an opening (I agree with you btw HLT) nothing beats the funky cool opening for Season 1 of Space:1999.

youtu.be/8WZW4groJro
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to “Star Wars and Star Trek Forum”