Concerts

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

I'm going to see Radiohead in November!!!!!! 8O 8O :D :nanaparty:
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Last week I saw a PF tribute band called "The Pink Floyd Experience." I was surprised at how well I enjoyed the show! Crowd enthusiasm was great, the band obviously loves PF music, and there was a flying pig. Since I never got to see PF live, it was as close as I'll ever get. If they come to your area, I recommend seeing them.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Got Maiden tickets for June!
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Cail wrote:Got Maiden tickets for June!
They're here in August with Coheed & Cambria.

I was looking at tickets last night. Didn't buy 'em, but I don't think that's something I can miss.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

dlbpharmd wrote:Last week I saw a PF tribute band called "The Pink Floyd Experience." I was surprised at how well I enjoyed the show! Crowd enthusiasm was great, the band obviously loves PF music, and there was a flying pig. Since I never got to see PF live, it was as close as I'll ever get. If they come to your area, I recommend seeing them.
can you give a list of what they played please?
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

sgt.null wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:Last week I saw a PF tribute band called "The Pink Floyd Experience." I was surprised at how well I enjoyed the show! Crowd enthusiasm was great, the band obviously loves PF music, and there was a flying pig. Since I never got to see PF live, it was as close as I'll ever get. If they come to your area, I recommend seeing them.
First half was WYWH in its entirety.

Second half (as best I can remember, and not in any order:)

Time
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Run like hell
Set the controls
Astronomy Domine
Echoes
Money
Sorrow (only the opening guitar....it was really weird)
ABITW part 2
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Sorus wrote:
Cail wrote:Got Maiden tickets for June!
They're here in August with Coheed & Cambria.

I was looking at tickets last night. Didn't buy 'em, but I don't think that's something I can miss.
You and I have very similar musical tastes, so I feel comfortable saying this to you.

See them.

Whether or not you've seen them before.

See them.

I saw them 2 years ago, and that show ranks up there as one of the best concerts I've seen. Bruce's voice isn't quite the air raid siren it was 25 years ago, but he can still bring it. The band is better than they've ever been.

Maiden, like Rush, is one of those bands that I'll see any time they come around, as they won't disappoint.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I've only seen them once, about ten years ago (Brave New World tour). Hell of a show. They opened with The Wicker Man, and the entire audience was on their feet screaming along. I've never seen another show that equaled the sheer energy. :R

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

dlbpharmd wrote:
sgt.null wrote:

Time
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Run like hell
Set the controls
Astronomy Domine
Echoes
Money
ABITW part 2
i am likely alone in this - but i want to see a Floyd band covering the more obscure stuff. thans for the set list. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

Been a great week for live music - went to a great venue in Birmingham I'd never heard of before (Hare and Hounds) on Wednesday to see a band called Sound of Guns, ended up a big fan of their support band Capital Sun.

Tonight went to a local venue and seen (amongst others) a great PJ Harvey-ish band called The Dacoits
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
Cheval
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cheval »

sgt.null wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
sgt.null wrote: can you give a list of what they played please?

Time
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Run like hell
Set the controls
Astronomy Domine
Echoes
Money
ABITW part 2
i am likely alone in this - but i want to see a Floyd band covering the more obscure stuff. thans for the set list. :)
There was a Canadian band named Clearlight back in the 1980's that I became a fan of because they played most of Animals, Meddle, and Relics(?).
They always played 2 sets: 1st set was their original songs, along with songs by Yes, some Supertramp, and a few tunes by Led Zepplin.
Their 2nd (and longest) set would be all Pink Floyd.
They were very good with the stage show and the music sounded just like PF.
Have you hugged your arghule today?
that unleashed the power of our imagination -
we learned to talk."

It's 4:19...
gotta minute?
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

Just saw Lenny Kravitz supported by the Cranberries and Wolfmother.

Lenny was great! He's definitely an over-achiever in the talent department.
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Cheval wrote: They were very good with the stage show and the music sounded just like PF.
julie has seen Roger with me twice - but she missed Floyd. I have been hoping a Floyd tribute band would come through Houston so I could take her.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
DoctorGamgee
Bloodguard

Post by DoctorGamgee »

My choir is performing the Liebeslieder Waltzes of Brahms tonight (though I somehow think it is not what you mean by 'concerts'). ;-)
Proud father of G-minor and the Bean
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

DoctorGamgee wrote:My choir is performing the Liebeslieder Waltzes of Brahms tonight (though I somehow think it is not what you mean by 'concerts'). ;-)
performing=concert, doesn't it?

Tinariwen this Saturday :biggrin: can't wait!
Aglithophile and conniptionist and spectacular moonbow beholder 16Jul11

(:/>
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Last night I saw An Evening with Amanda Palmer and Neil Gaiman in Queen's Hall in Edinburgh. Was a good show, though a bit slapdash (apparently they didn't manage to stick to the set list even slightly).

Amanda performed some of her classics and a couple from the new album, Neil did some readings (including a chunk from his next novel out next year), and Neil & Amanda performed together on a couple of songs.

Supporting them were comedian Andrew O'Neill and filmmaker Michael Pope, who were both great. They also had the excellent Lady Rizo come on to perform Neil's song "I Google You".

Unfortunately I've only seen one piece of footage from it show up so far, this video of Amanda's performance of The Bed Song from her new album:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9i7Yo_7-ds
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

We just got tickets to Ensiferum's Unsung Heroes tour. :D

We're pretty excited about the new release, at least based on the quality of the sample song.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNfhbolYEWI

Then again, rather saddened I'm going to miss Korpiklaani's only slightly more accessible "Manala" gig. They're profusely touring the USA this autumn, but neglecting their homelands. :evil:
Spiral Jacobs
Giantfriend

Post by Spiral Jacobs »

I'm considering going through the Canal tunnel to a gig in London of one of my favourite bands, Frost*. They're playing with It Bites in December. Might as well make a weekend out of it. Only about a six hour drive.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Sounds like you should try to arrange a Londen mini-fest in the General SRD Discussion forum, SJ.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

some time ago bands starting skipping Houston. either doing Austin or Dallas. Roger Waters has been a great exception.

but Kristin Hersh (Throwing Muses) and Bob Mould are skipping Houston on their new tours. :(

but I just saw Monday, November 12 - 2012 that Glen Hansard (Swell Season / the Frames) will be playing here in support of his first ever solo album!!!

here is Glen hitting a sweet, sweet 70's vibe
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “Vespers”