Fantasy in the Modern World

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Mr. Land
Stonedownor

Fantasy in the Modern World

Post by Mr. Land »

Has anyone ever heard of a book or an article by Donaldson entitled Fantasy in the Modern World: A Few Observations? I've seen reference to it numerous times but cannot locate it. Publication date is 1986.
Something there is in beauty.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Rather than bumping 'em, I'll just list the URLs to the threads. Hard threads to find unless you know what you're looking for.

kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1954&highlight=senior
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=605&highlight=senior

Vain, any chance on tweaking the search function to allow searches like "W. A. Senior"? As it is, you'll get all posts with a "W" "A". and "senior." Plus, if the keyword appears in a thread with multiple pages, you have to look through all the pages to find the word.

Edit: I realized you probably meant you had trouble finding where to buy it. www.alibris.com has three copies.
www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork ... =3&qsort=r
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Mr. Land, you'll have better luck finding it on line if you have the full title: EPIC FANTASY IN THE MODERN WORLD: A FEW OBSERVATIONS by Stephen R. Donaldson. There are still copies available secondhand. It's a nice production for such a small print run. I've said this before, I think it would be good if he placed it with an e-book publisher, to make it easily available.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Mr. Land
Stonedownor

Thanks!

Post by Mr. Land »

Many thanks to those who posted a reply! I found a listing for Epic Fantasy. The only downside is the cost at $34.00.
Something there is in beauty.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

You can save ten dollars off that if you check the last link in my last post... scratch that. Wrong book. Still $34 at alibris.
srtrout
Woodhelvennin

Post by srtrout »

This is an incredible book with incredibly insightful thoughts and analyses of the entire series. If one were going to submit an answer to one of the questions on this site, you would do well to not only read the salient portion of the Chronicles but this book as well.

I especially appreciated his analysis of the similarities, but more importantly the differences, between The Chronicles and other forms of fantasy, like LOTR. E.g., in the Second Chronicles, like in other fantasies, the core group goes off to find a "talisman", but unlike other fantasies, they never find it! Off course, there is an entire chapter devoted to the relationship with Tolkien. The discussion of Linden Avery's devotion to medicine as a response to her childhood, and how that affects her role in the Land, is also fascinating.

There are several references to discussions with SRD that are very helpful as well.

This book is well worth the $34 it seems to now cost.

Maybe we should do a group reading of this when we finish the second Chronicles?

srtrout
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I just picked up a used copy in reputedly fine condition at Alibris for $24.95. Can't wait! 8)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”