The DNC (Democratic National Convention)

Archive From The 'Tank
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Both major parties have now demonstrated for the world to see that they are not committed to representative democracy. The Republicans improperly take away delegate votes with a decision whose result was posted to the teleprompter before the speaker said the words--the decision had already been made. The Democrats vote until the decision is arbitrarily judged to mirror what was already changed--the decision had already been made.

I ask again: when are we going to turn our backs on these two disasters?
I done did it.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Voice votes like that are dumb, unless you know for sure, in advance, there's a 5 or 10 to 1 advantage one of the sides.

On to the speeches....
Maybe I'm just too hard on speakers overall...
I think, on a speaker-to-speaker comparison, the Dem's are a step up from their Rep counterparts on the rhetoric [the good definiton, effective delivery/communication]...but none of them for either party have been as overwhelmingly powerful/transcendent as the media/commentators have been saying.
I do think the Dem's have an advantage on specificity...a small one...and Bill Clinton's was the best speech so far...but not the best of all time like a fair number are saying...I expect it will move the persuadables a little, which may be all that's needed in this election...but one of the CONSERVATIVE folk from CNN...I can never remember the guys name...said basically that Bill just guaranteed an Obama win...that seems a major overstatement to me.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Hashi, in the video I posted, one woman said that she would support Obama no matter what he did. That's the problem, right there. People like that. There are way too many of them.

[Edit: V, I'm not sure the speeches are important at all. One of the best speeches I've seen was Obama's 2004 DNC speech. Look where that led us.]
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Cail wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:Both major parties have now demonstrated for the world to see that they are not committed to representative democracy. The Republicans improperly take away delegate votes with a decision whose result was posted to the teleprompter before the speaker said the words--the decision had already been made. The Democrats vote until the decision is arbitrarily judged to mirror what was already changed--the decision had already been made.

I ask again: when are we going to turn our backs on these two disasters?
I done did it.
Same. Registered with the Green Party the other day more as a protest against the Democratic Party than alignment with the Green platform (Libertarian would've been a closer fit, but that wasn't the point). That said, I'll probably still vote Democratic, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Zarathustra wrote: [Edit: V, I'm not sure the speeches are important at all.
Hmmm...I'd say that depends...in the sense of "if it changes something it was important."
OTOH [though not exactly a disagreement]: It damn well SHOULD matter. The words that come out of their mouths should be true, they should mean it, and they should act in accordance with them. They, and the listeners, should honestly distinguish Ideology, Preference, and Fact. They should acknowledge and live with it when an ideological position is untenable, a preference impractical, and a fact demonstrable. And...

[no, I won't rant or rave...or go further off-topic...though I sure feel like it. :evil: :evil: :biggrin: at myself]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Zarathustra wrote:Hashi, in the video I posted, one woman said that she would support Obama no matter what he did. That's the problem, right there. People like that. There are way too many of them.
Although I can watch videos here at work, I normally choose not to; I'll have to watch it at home. Nevertheless, blind devotion to a politician is no different than blind devotion to a cult leader. I may vote for a third party, but that woman's vote is truly irresponsible and worthless.

Cail...Syl Embattled...I applaud you both for seeing through the False Dichotomy.

The conventions are big parties featuring people preaching to the choir--no one changes their mind at the convention, unless their particular candidate doesn't get the nomination.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Just out of curiosity: isn't the midterms what REALLY counts? That is the election for the legislative power, if I understand correctly? And that's the election with about a 50% voter turnout innit?

Edit: Zar: Correct. An attitude like that makes you think, that democracy sucks. And that the lady in question should be immediately stripped of her right to vote.
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

There's at least a partial Congressional vote of some kind every 2 years for the Senate, and the entire House is up every two years. So we'll be casting votes for the legislature this time, too. So this vote does count. And yes, the Presidential vote counts quite a bit. Veto power is the ultimate trump card on any legislation.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

The House gets completely reelected every 2 years so those elections are always important. Of course, one-third of the Senate gets reelected every 2 years, as well, so yes--the Legislative elections account for 67% of all Members of Congress (100% of the House, 33% of the Senate).

The Executive, although highly visible, isn't quite as important as the Legislative elections.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

The Executive, although highly visible, isn't quite as important as the Legislative elections.

And yet pretty much always gets much higher turnout [as I think Prebe was pointing at]. Though, as Z said, Veto is a really big gun...votes to override are hard to come by.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Picking SC justices is a pretty big deal too.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

A "fact check" on Clinton's speech. (I'm not too into the fact check craze, b/c then you have to fact check the fact checkers, unless they are very clear).

But it did mention his claim:
I experienced the same thing in 1994 and early 1995. Our policies were working but most people didn’t feel it yet. By 1996, the economy was roaring, halfway through the longest peacetime expansion in American history.
Does a good job pointing out the trouble signs even before he left, and the repeal of Glass-Steagall. Doesn't even talk about the surplus, which you could throw on that heap. But, that's a great politician right? B/c people remember him as spearheading a great economy. That of course left us w/this mess. Oh! I mean, that Bush then messed up...

The last bit was funny, about how the pubs mislead, and bringing up his Lewinsky days.
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Cybrweez wrote:Picking SC justices is a pretty big deal too.
Point.

Return to “Coercri”