Prometheus

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

Cail
Lord

Prometheus

Post by Cail »

The Alien prequel is finally being made! And it's being directed by Ridley Scott. The trailer looks fantastic, hopefully it lives up to the standard the first two films set.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

And it has Charlize?!? Yeah, I could watch this.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Fist and Faith wrote:And it has Charlize?!? Yeah, I could watch this.
"Could?" I will definitely be there.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Fist and Faith wrote:And it has Charlize?!? Yeah, I could watch this.
"Could?" I will definitely be there.
Yeah, but Fist'll have his pants off..... :lol:
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Yeah, but Fist'll have his pants off.....
Hey, they don't call him "Fist" for nothing!!!!! ;)
Last edited by Brinn on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

It is exciting to see a prequel. Hopefully it can be half as good as the first film and nothing like the subsequent ones.
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

I'm hoping they completely ditch the "canon" of all the sequels, plus the AvP movies. He said this isn't really an "Alien" movie, though it's set in the same universe, so that's a good sign...
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

the trailer looks awesome.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHcHYisZFLU

looks like giant alien with chest blown out will be addressed. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

While being a die hard fan of the Alien franchise in all its forms and after watching all of the trailers…why do I get the (probably incorrect) feeling that Xenomorphs are and always were altered/mutated human beings?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

aTOMiC wrote:While being a die hard fan of the Alien franchise in all its forms and after watching all of the trailers…why do I get the (probably incorrect) feeling that Xenomorphs are and always were altered/mutated human beings?
Cuz Dead Space, which was inspired/a tribute/a rip off of Alien had the necromorphs as infected human corpses!
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

aTOMiC wrote:While being a die hard fan of the Alien franchise in all its forms and after watching all of the trailers…why do I get the (probably incorrect) feeling that Xenomorphs are and always were altered/mutated human beings?
Because that's kinda what they are. It's like a genetic Borg, they take what they want/can use from the host body, which affects how they appear.

The question, of course, is how this fits in with the space jockies. We've seen them, a snake like 'facehugger' and a person's face melted off. One possible scenario is that all this was originally meant to hijack the bodies of whomever happened to come in contact with them so that they, as a race, could live again... until something went wrong.

Of course, the snake alien could just be a native creature, or security, or something other than a means of forcing mutation.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Orlion wrote:
Because that's kinda what they are. It's like a genetic Borg, they take what they want/can use from the host body, which affects how they appear.

The question, of course, is how this fits in with the space jockies. We've seen them, a snake like 'facehugger' and a person's face melted off. One possible scenario is that all this was originally meant to hijack the bodies of whomever happened to come in contact with them so that they, as a race, could live again... until something went wrong.

Of course, the snake alien could just be a native creature, or security, or something other than a means of forcing mutation.

That's not particularly clear within the film series. I expect everyone who has read the various novels, Dark Horse Comics and video games probably knows all of this. Most of us who only have knowledge via the feature films would be surprised to hear about such things. For the most part anyway. :-)

Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

aTOMiC wrote: That's not particularly clear within the film series. I expect everyone who has read the various novels, Dark Horse Comics and video games probably knows all of this. Most of us who only have knowledge via the feature films would be surprised to hear about such things. For the most part anyway. :-)
Keep in mind, Ridley Scott has only directed one film out of the series, the original. As far as I know, he had nothing to do with any of the sequels, spinoffs, novels, or comics. It's very possible he'll completely rewrite what the creatures are (I rather hope he does... comic fanboys going on about continuity, canon, et al rather annoy me, and Scott trashing their collective lore would be a big "F*** YOU" to them).

Even Cameron's idea for a "queen" goes against Scott's original idea. While it was cut from the final movie, there's a great deleted scene where Sigourney Weaver finds Tom Skerritt partially cocooned on the wall, hanging over an egg that was getting ready to open. There was only one alien in the original movie, so it must have been the one to lay that egg, rather than requiring a queen to do so.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Rigel wrote:
aTOMiC wrote: That's not particularly clear within the film series. I expect everyone who has read the various novels, Dark Horse Comics and video games probably knows all of this. Most of us who only have knowledge via the feature films would be surprised to hear about such things. For the most part anyway. :-)
Keep in mind, Ridley Scott has only directed one film out of the series, the original. As far as I know, he had nothing to do with any of the sequels, spinoffs, novels, or comics. It's very possible he'll completely rewrite what the creatures are (I rather hope he does... comic fanboys going on about continuity, canon, et al rather annoy me, and Scott trashing their collective lore would be a big "F*** YOU" to them).

Even Cameron's idea for a "queen" goes against Scott's original idea. While it was cut from the final movie, there's a great deleted scene where Sigourney Weaver finds Tom Skerritt partially cocooned on the wall, hanging over an egg that was getting ready to open. There was only one alien in the original movie, so it must have been the one to lay that egg, rather than requiring a queen to do so.
I read Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien prior to seeing the movie. That scene really stuck out to me in the book; I was crushed that it wasn't in the movie. I giggled like a schoolgirl when the scene became available on the LaserDisc of the film.
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by ItisWritten »

Cail wrote:
Rigel wrote:

I read Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Alien prior to seeing the movie. That scene really stuck out to me in the book; I was crushed that it wasn't in the movie. I giggled like a schoolgirl when the scene became available on the LaserDisc of the film.
I read the novelization too, and what I read implied that the cocooning of Captain Dallas wasn't complete, but the other "egg" was the cocooning of Brett. Meaning that the reproductive cycle was fueled by a host on both levels, and that genetic material of the host would certainly be a part of the resulting creatures.
ItisWritten
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

Finally saw this film. I admit I am disturbed by lingering questions. Like, did I really imagine that the engineer was not hostile until the old man asked for immortality?
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

thebioscopist.com/2012/06/20/the-linguistics-of-prometheus-what-david-says-to-the-engineer/
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Still Not Buying It

Post by Obi-Wan Nihilo »

And, apologies for this one, but I couldn't resist: www.agoracosmopolitan.com/home/Frontpag ... 01288.html
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Finally watched Prometheus. Yep I missed it at the theater so I had to go rental. I'm totally buying the bluray this weekend.

Well first of all I liked the film. However there were a few issues that left me thinking that if it wasn't a Scott film I would have chalked it up to a novice director. Without revealing plot points I found there was a strange disconnect between characters and groups of characters at different times that seemed out of place. In addition there were some VERY underdeveloped characters that seemed to just show up and spit out dialog in a way that seemed to suggest we are supposed to know who they are, but don't.
In any case the good news for me was that I had been reading about how there were so many ideas and plot points that left people scratching their heads and hoping for an explanation. I didn't have that experience. Maybe it's because I've watched so much sci-fi that I sort of understand it's language on a subliminal level but I GOT the film with very little effort.

All in all Prometheus is a good sci-fi film but I have to say that it isn't exactly a great one.

IMHO

Mortice Root
Bloodguard

Post by Mortice Root »

Saw this finally earlier this week. I loved it! Truly, this is a film that I can't get out of my head, and it's been 5 days so far...

I agree aTOMiC, about some of the characters being under developed. It really felt like there were one or too other scenes that were probably filmed with them that were then cut for time purposes. You know, that kind that show up later on the DVD. Unfortunately, I watched it onDemand, so didn't get any extras. But the two co-pilot(?) guys and the geologist and biologist all felt a little short-changed. I had a similar experience to you, also, in that I had no problem following along with the story.

This is not an Alien movie, per se. Prometheus is it's own animal, that happens to be set in the same universe as Alien. There were enough little easter egg hints to tie it in to Alien (even prior to the end) - even the design of the ships was obviously related. But I think someone could have seen this without Alien and enjoyed it. I did enjoy the way it is a very open-ended movie - it makes you come up with your own answers to some questions, and I thought was very engaging because of it. It reminded me of classic sci-fi - not the shoot-em up style of sci-fi that we've been getting recently. Though there certainly was significant action, there was a long build up to get there, which I for one, enjoyed.

Parts were certainly very creepy also:
Spoiler
and though I had heard comments about the squid baby, the part that creeped me out the most was when the geologist returned to the ship. When he was standing/crouching outside, waiting to be let in - something about his posture was just so inhuman - very chilling.
Definetly a worthy addition to to Alien universe.
"The plural of antecdotes is not evidence."
-------------
Driving down the razor's edge between the past and the future
Turn up the music and smile
Get carried away on the songs and stories of vanished times

Return to “Flicks”