The Grand Reread!!

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Linna Heartbooger
Are you not a sine qua non for a redemption?

Post by Linna Heartbooger »

I appear to have tactically misplaced TIW...

Since I'm a slowish (comparatively) reader and have lots going on, I think I'm going to start AATE for the first time, and let the Final Chrons and selected snippets from the 1st and 2nd suffice for context.

I'm excited about the idea of starting one I've never read before!
:banana:

Morning- "TC was hurtloamed by Lena"... what a way to put it. ;)

Z- good idea, with doing some writing on the dissections.
I thought of doing that once but felt so awkward typing to "nobody."
Somewhere in here, you've gotta tell us about your wife's impressions. (well, only if it's okay with her!!)
"People without hope not only don't write novels, but what is more to the point, they don't read them.
They don't take long looks at anything, because they lack the courage.
The way to despair is to refuse to have any kind of experience, and the novel, of course, is a way to have experience."
-Flannery O'Connor

"In spite of much that militates against quietness there are people who still read books. They are the people who keep me going."
-Elisabeth Elliot, Preface, "A Chance to Die: The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael"
Stevo
Servant of the Land

Post by Stevo »

I started the grand reread late last year (September?). Today I start on "The One Tree". This is my 4th time reading the First Chronicles, my 3rd time reading the Second Chronicles, and my 2nd time reading the first 3 books of the Last Chronicles. So far, it's all be quiet enjoyable ... again!
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, Stevo.
Be Well Come and True.

Enjoy your revisit to the Land, and come introduce yourself in the Say Hello in Here thread.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm going too slow. I started in August, and I'm only about 100 pages into TWL. It probably doesn't help that I'm reading two other books at the same time. But I've got to speed up if I want to finish 6 books (that keep getting longer) by this fall.

I'm having fun, but I think this might be the last time I reread these for many years. Even at 7 years since my last trip through the Land, it feels too recent.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
deer of the dawn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by deer of the dawn »

Started TWL last night. And of course, I'm reading two books at once. I can't seem to get away from that. I'm reading Les Miserables which is very good, but admittedly gets tedious in places (half the book is digression!!) and I realized I needed to get moving (having reread 1st Chronicles last year).

It's every bit as good as the first time (I've read 2nd Chrons 3 times, I think?), or maybe better, because I really get why Linden was Chosen, and what it cost Covenant to love Joan, etc.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. -Philo of Alexandria

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

The One Tree is one hell of a book. I'm almost finished with it.

Though I've criticized the Last Chronicles quite a bit, I'm excited to start them right after rereading the first six.
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.

Return to “Against All Things Ending”