Unfettered by the Last Chronicles

Book 2 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, Seareach

Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Post by Queen Christine »

I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Savor Dam and Cambo. Your posts have given me the motivation to continue reading Fatal Revenant.

I have loved the first and second Chronicles for many many years, and have read through both many times. I was very excited when I heard SRD was writing a final series. I purposefully didn't read the new books because I am so impatient and didn't want to start ROTE and then have to wait for the rest of the series. So when I recently found out that the 4th and final book was coming out this year I rushed out and bought ROTE, FR and AATE because I couldn't wait any longer.

I found myself a little disappointed in ROTE, but I just let it go and wrote it off as that book was just building up to the final three and was setting the stage.

Now I have started FR and I am still journeying to Melenkurion Skyweir. I feel like I am plodding along and I am struggling to get into the book.

I have been coming here for a long time just lurking and reading the many wonderful posts here. Many things that confused me have been explained. Many themes I was struggling to wrap my mind around have been thoroughly examined, and this has greatly increased my love for the first 2 series.

But I avoided the areas that discussed the Last Chronicles because I didn't want to accidentally read any spoilers. But tonight I just needed a reason to hang on and keep trudging along. I am so glad that I came here. I have found my motivation to keep going. So this newbie thanks you. :) I cannot wait to see what happens at the end of part one that caused Cambo to post all those funny smilies!
“In accepting a gift you honor the giver.” - Baradakas
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Welcome out of the Lurker's Swamp and into Posting Madness, Queen Christine.

Go to The Summonising Forum, and introduce yourself formally and keep posting.

I too found ROTE a little different than what I was expecting, and it wasn't until I had read FR and AATE and gone back and reread ROTE that I found a appreciation for it (As well as the beginning of FR). But, having finishing AATE, I am definitely excited for What TLD will bring in the conclusion in about 7 months (I Don't have much reading time, so, most likely I will wait until the Audiobook version is released)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

You are welcome, your highness! While sindatur has already advised you well in suggesting an introduction post in The Summonsing, I will offer you here the traditional greeting I use there:

Welcome to the Watch, Queen Christine!
May you thrive here...and contribute.
(That first post is a great start...)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Thank you both for the warm welcome! I will head over to the Summonsing and introduce myself now :)
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

Welcome again, Queen Christine!

Don't worry if you are not enjoying the Last Chrons you are in good company :lol: There has been plenty of talk about different people's experiences in that regard: 'A Prosaic Confession', 'How bad is it?', 'Is anyone Disappointed in the Runes'. (Some of these are in the AATE forum so you may not have access to them until you join that forum.)

There are also some threads that helped me to come to terms with the very existence of the Last Chrons (which for a long time I didn't think was justifiable :? (even for SRD!)). wayfriend's brilliant Fatal Musings: Epic Vision is the best example of these.

The other strategy that helps (especially if you are not a fan of Linden) is to join THOOLAH. This group of Enlightened people help maintain perspective and good humour in the face of the effect that the ruinous whinyness of Linden has had on our Blessed Chrons :biggrin:

THOOLAH!

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

OPAL!!
(Opinion Pending About Linden)
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Trust SRD. Linden has not been who she is for no reason, nor has she been so central just to be an object of scorn. Back in the late '70s, Covenant was far harder to believe in at first...but SRD put him at center stage for a very good reason.

I do not sport a Linden's Army badge, but my opinion is far from pending...and THOOLAH is wrong about her. Annoying, perhaps...but ultimately she will be our heroine.

Somehow. :?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

ussusimiel wrote:Welcome again, Queen Christine!

Don't worry if you are not enjoying the Last Chrons you are in good company :lol: There has been plenty of talk about different people's experiences in that regard: 'A Prosaic Confession', 'How bad is it?', 'Is anyone Disappointed in the Runes'. (Some of these are in the AATE forum so you may not have access to them until you join that forum.)

There are also some threads that helped me to come to terms with the very existence of the Last Chrons (which for a long time I didn't think was justifiable :? (even for SRD!)). wayfriend's brilliant Fatal Musings: Epic Vision is the best example of these.

The other strategy that helps (especially if you are not a fan of Linden) is to join THOOLAH. This group of Enlightened people help maintain perspective and good humour in the face of the effect that the ruinous whinyness of Linden has had on our Blessed Chrons :biggrin:

THOOLAH!

u.
I notice you neglected to mention this one

typical.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Vraith wrote:I notice you neglected to mention this one

typical.
That one regularly slips my mind :-x

He raves and is damned! But, if he ever returns to the Light we shall welcome him back!

u.
Are posted on the door,
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Not likely. He is one of the two mods of the new hidden forum on The Last Dark.

Foolish THOOLAH adherents will have no ground on which to stand once TLD comes out. You know that, nu? ;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Savor Dam wrote:Not likely. He is one of the two mods of the new hidden forum on The Last Dark.
The depth of his perfidity is fathomless 8O
Savor Dam wrote:Foolish THOOLAH adherents will have no ground on which to stand once TLD comes out. You know that, nu? ;)
I most ardently hope that this is the case! I would gladly foreswear THOOLAH and all its works, if SRD managed to pull something magical out of the hat in TLD and redeem Linden's thusfar fugilinous awfulness :biggrin:

u.
Are posted on the door,
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

ussusimiel wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:Foolish THOOLAH adherents will have no ground on which to stand once TLD comes out. You know that, nu? ;)
I most ardently hope that this is the case! I would gladly foreswear THOOLAH and all its works, if SRD managed to pull something magical out of the hat in TLD and redeem Linden's thusfar fugilinous awfulness :biggrin:
How late into the First Chrons did you feel that way about Covenant?
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Savor Dam wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:
How late into the First Chrons did you feel that way about Covenant?
I can honestly say that I never felt that way about Covenant. I was shocked by his raping of Lena and I was deeply frustrated at his refusal to be a 'normal' hero and use his power (all of the first series). But (and this is a very important but) all that time we were being given his backstory, watching him develop as a character and watching his Unbelief mutate. It was the same with Linden in the 2nd Chrons (I didn't become THOOLAHised (mmmm! :lol: ) until the Last Chrons).

I don't really blame Linden for this (she's only a character in a book after all), unfortunately the responsibility for Linden lies squarely with SRD, but since he's such a dude I can't really spend hours railing against him, can I? (And he's already taken my name (wayfriend claims to keep SRD's list of THOOLAH members updated) so I don't want to antagonise him further in case I have the good fortune to meet him at the next Elohimfest :biggrin: He might decide to do some of that karate stuff on me 8O )

u.
Are posted on the door,
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Please come to Elohimfest!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw
StevieG
Andelanian

Post by StevieG »

ussusimiel wrote:
Savor Dam wrote:How late into the First Chrons did you feel that way about Covenant?
I can honestly say that I never felt that way about Covenant. I was shocked by his raping of Lena and I was deeply frustrated at his refusal to be a 'normal' hero and use his power (all of the first series). But (and this is a very important but) all that time we were being given his backstory, watching him develop as a character and watching his Unbelief mutate. It was the same with Linden in the 2nd Chrons (I didn't become THOOLAHised (mmmm! :lol: ) until the Last Chrons).
I've had the opposite reaction to Covenant in my current reread. In past rereads, I had almost the same feeling about TC as your description, but this time I feel completely different. I'm half way through the 1st Chronicles, and in past reads I have been frustrated with him, but also understanding of his predicament. This time, I just feel annoyed by his decisions, bargains, deception, guilt etc - he's a despicable character. It's understandable, but not forgivable in my current opinion :P Having said that, I'm enjoying it even more, knowing that SRD can evoke such emotions from a main character. Anyway, this probably belongs in the First Chronicles forum :)
Hugs and sh!t ~ lucimay

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ussusimiel »

Savor Dam wrote:Please come to Elohimfest!
If I can possibly be there, I will. It'd be great to meet other Watchers, such as yourself, never mind the chance to meet SRD!

u.
Are posted on the door,
Queen Christine
Stonedownor

Definitely glad that I was urged to continue reading FR. Once the big reveal happens at the end of part one, things just kept getting better. I was thrilled to be introduced to more Giants. It was wonderful to hear the the First and Pitchwife had children and grandchildren. The history of the Haruchai was great, as was hearing more about the Insequent.

I think my favorite character is Stave. I absolutely love him.

The ending wasn't exactly a huge shock to me. The writing for Linden was heavily leaning towards her doing something to bring back Covenant, so I wasn't surprised. But I did enjoy it. I find that my favorite parts of the books always take place in Andelain. I enjoy seeing the Dead, the wraiths and all of the general beauty that exists there.

I am hoping that AATE is even better than ROTE and FR.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Better is subjective...but I think you will enjoy AATE. There are both narrative passages and intense action. Press on, and (have I mentioned yet?) Trust SRD.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

~ Barbara Reinhold

~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Fatal Revenant”