Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Couldn't have said it better, Orlion.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote: Guardian of the new One Tree.
Now you're just reaching... we don't even know if the world can be made anew, let alone if another One Tree can be created, would be necessary, or even wanted. Besides, since the Guardian is an Elohim construct, there is no natural reason to even have a new Guardian with a new One Tree... further, there is no need to set it up the same way as with the Old Guardian.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Orlion wrote:
Now you're just reaching... we don't even know if the world can be made anew, let alone if another One Tree can be created, would be necessary, or even wanted. Besides, since the Guardian is an Elohim construct, there is no natural reason to even have a new Guardian with a new One Tree... further, there is no need to set it up the same way as with the Old Guardian.
Someone mentioned the stars around the figure on the cover, those are the stars of the One Tree. They don't even look like wraiths.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

ussusimiel wrote:
Orlion wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:No doubt you jest when you say 'little strength'. A Forestal is as puissant as the number of trees in the forest he protects. Andelain + Salva Gildenbourne might be the greatest forest since the One Forest; even greater than Garroting Deep 8O

u.
They're mostly young, and Mahrtiir would be new to his Forestal powers. And we are talking about skurj that are essentially a hoard of fiery hydras and Sandgorgons, to whom distance has no meaning to such power. Hell, I don't know if even Caerriol Wildwood could fend off one Sandgorgon, let alone an army off them.
Granted, and yet Wildwood was more than a match for about 750,000 Foul warriors and an Illearth Stone fragment fuelled Giant Raver. It's one of the imponderables of the Chron; just how fundamentally incommensurable powers can be stacked up against one another (one of the reasons I have such a low tolerance for superhero movies :lol:).

u.
Incommensurable? A little... but that is namely because they have a range, various limitations be they natural or self-imposed, and in the case of the Forestal, their powers are geographical and/or dependent on other member participation (like the ur-vile Loremaster).

The way I look at it, a Sandgorgon was able to rend a Raver. That places them pretty high up on the powerscale... I'd put them almost at level with the Elohim, so they are almost or just about the most powerful "natural" creatures of the Land-world. So even though a Forestal did hold off the Sunbane from Andelain for thousands of years, I'm not sure one could hold off a direct assault from a Sandgorgon...

Of course, we do not know much about them or if they have any exploitable weaknesses (much like how the Harrow could easily dispatch any Vile-spawn since he knew exactly how they are held together). We know wild-magic can beat them, and when that is the only known effective weapon against them... well...

Of course, I'm certain the Worm or SHE could devour them easily.
- Herman Melville

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Orlion wrote:
Someone mentioned the stars around the figure on the cover, those are the stars of the One Tree. They don't even look like wraiths.
Or they're just stars, or Elohim... or the stars actually belong to the Worm.

Further, the tree does not have a stump where a branch of wood was cut off from the One Tree to make a Staff of Law. Ultimately, I think the artist:
1)Likes to draw trees.
2)Was going for a more twilighty tone. We do not know how or why he chooses the figures he does or how accurate they are (see the Fatal Revenant cover). Ultimately, the only thing we can be certain is that he gets enough right that if you know about the character, you can identify him. And the blind-fold and Native-American features is a dead give-away of Mahrtiir.
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Orlion wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Orlion wrote: Now you're just reaching... we don't even know if the world can be made anew, let alone if another One Tree can be created, would be necessary, or even wanted. Besides, since the Guardian is an Elohim construct, there is no natural reason to even have a new Guardian with a new One Tree... further, there is no need to set it up the same way as with the Old Guardian.
Or they're just stars, or Elohim... or the stars actually belong to the Worm.

Further, the tree does not have a stump where a branch of wood was cut off from the One Tree to make a Staff of Law. Ultimately, I think the artist:
1)Likes to draw trees.
2)Was going for a more twilighty tone. We do not know how or why he chooses the figures he does or how accurate they are (see the Fatal Revenant cover). Ultimately, the only thing we can be certain is that he gets enough right that if you know about the character, you can identify him. And the blind-fold and Native-American features is a dead give-away of Mahrtiir.
At first I thought it was Brinn, but then I realized it was Mahrtiir as the new ak-haru.
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

It might not be stars or wraiths. Could be an artist's interpretation of a Forestal's twinkling music. *shrug*
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

where did this cover come from?
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Prover of Life wrote:where did this cover come from?
Never mind. I see "source link" at the bottom of the picture. It comes from Penguin USA site.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

Troy's blindness corresponds well to Mahrtiir's blindness, no?

EDIT: If time ends up looping back on itself, maybe Mahrtiir will end up being the *first* (and the last) Forestal.
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

One quick Mahrtiir.

"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:Troy's blindness corresponds well to Mahrtiir's blindness, no?
Not that it doesn't mean something...but I'm mostly sure in the GI or somewhere SRD said [really roughly] "I didn't realize I had such a thing for blind until someone else pointed it out."
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

He just never noticed?

"The words that I remember
From my childhood still are true
That there's no so blind
As those who will not see"

"And to those who lack the courage
And say it's dangerous to try
Well they just don't know
That love eternal will not be denied"

Sorry...can't leave that stanza incomplete.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

And the grass stains are growing, underneath our jeeeeans!
- Herman Melville

-John Crowley
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Such is what happens when we are on the Verge of Wandering... ;)
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

hue of bone wrote:One quick Mahrtiir.
Not bad, I like the defiant expression. That bandage will slide down in a second, though, unless it's fastened with hairpins. :lol: As far as I recall, it went only over his eyes, as SRD keeps describing his eyebrows.
hue of fuzzpaws
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by hue of fuzzpaws »

Frostheart wrote:
Not bad, I like the defiant expression. That bandage will slide down in a second, though, unless it's fastened with hairpins. :lol: As far as I recall, it went only over his eyes, as SRD keeps describing his eyebrows.
"Let's not fight. I don't like fighting" Frostheart Grueburn
The Puissant
Servant of the Land

Post by The Puissant »

I'm actually thinking that only now are we seeing the similarities betwixt Caer-Caveral and Mahrtiir. My vote is that the person is Mahrtiir, and that he is going to become a Forestal.

Ditto. I like the idea of Mahrtiir as a guardian of a new One Tree.
Pics gotta be him, not exactly how I'd have imagined the Manethrall but hey....
They will heed me, for I am The Puissant!
Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Mega Fauna Blitzkrieg »

Is it possible that cover is a cruel hoax, or like a study? Seems awfully, uh, colored in, to be a study.

But I mean, that picture looks almost exactly like my re-release of Fatal Revenant's cover, with a photoshop head swap.

If that is Mahitir...why is he...old? I loaned out my Runes of...whatever, book 7. But I was pretty sure they introduced 3 Manethralls, the woman who initially saves them, the 30ish 'young, eager, bloodthirstyish' one(Mahitir), and the old man who stares off into space.

And again, the re-release I have (not sure if it is new art or not, but the Covenant art changes a lot) of Fatal Revenant has an old man, with his eyes closed, holding a black staff, in front of a black tree, my first thought was Anele but Anele's robe is not beautiful and pure white, so I guess it is Caerroil Wildwood, or yet another case where the artist didn't talk to the author? =p

I mean, damn, the picture of Covenant on the cover of wounded land, or white gold wielder, the one that High Lord Tolkein fellow uses, has him looking like he is 50 or 60.
I know what an analogy is! It's like a thought...with another thought's hat on...?

The thing most people don't remember in regards to the Haruchai, is that you NEVER EVER play poker with them!
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

Bhapa is the young one. Mahrtiir is the older Manethrall of the group.

Also... I'm not arguing for it, just playing devil's advocate here. But to those who say that can't be the Staff of Law on the cover due to how it looks nothing like it... have you looked at your AATE cover lately?

Return to “The Last Dark”