Who is this?

Book 3 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: dlbpharmd, High Lord Tolkien

Aleksandr
Giantfriend

Who is this?

Post by Aleksandr »

I just finished the book, but I won't go into anything too spoiler-heavy yet. However one little mystery leapt out at me near the end, and I will ask others what they think since it won't involve any major spoiler issues.

TC is holding parley with the Feroce and they tell him:"Already he [the Lurker] suffers the presence of one wandering lost in his realm, bearing a token of power which is worthless against havoc." TC wonders momemtarily about this, but he has more immediate issues to deal with and lets the question go.

OK, who could this be? One obvious possibility is Roger (with Kastenessen's hand as the "token of power"), but why would Roger be wandering "lost" in Sarangrave Flat? Also, the Feroce seem to think this info counts as evidence that TC can trust them.
But isn't everyone else, and the other "tokens of power" accounted for at this point of the story?
Probably we're going to meet this someone in the next book.
rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I'm thinking Longwrath myself. Isn't there something special about his sword?
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

rdhopeca wrote:I'm thinking Longwrath myself. Isn't there something special about his sword?
That was my first thought, as well...but for some reason, I don't trust it yet [maybe just cuz I've been wrong to often :lol: ]
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And a Giant in the Sarangrave would be very appropriate, given then first six books (and TIW and TWL in particular).
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I believe it'd be Longwrath too... but what would he being doing in the Flats, anyway? More specifically, what's there that the Elohim have an interest in?
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

If Longwrath is still tracking Linden (and I have no reason to believe he's not), then it's likely to be him.

Unless it's yet another Insequent. :twisted:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Unbelieverable
Servant of the Land

Post by Unbelieverable »

Could be we're going to see another new character...but I'm leaning toward Longwrath. Still, why would Longwrath even get the Lurker's attention? I am under the impression that giants could always traverse Lifeswallower without getting it's attention...that was stated earlier in the series...I think.
"Something in her expression made Covenant feel that he came from a very poor world, where no one knew or cared about healing stoneware pots."
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Perhaps Longwrath's Elohim-inflicted geas makes him noticeable.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Seven Words
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seven Words »

Hmm..Id say I think it's Lostson Longwrath, but the token of power is something new. I recall more than once reading that there were many banes beneath Mount Thunder, the Illearth Stone being the one Foul most desired. I'm guessing (wildly) that the flooding stunt Linden pulled kicked one of them out the Ruinwash and into Lostson's hands.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Seven Words wrote:Hmm..Id say I think it's Lostson Longwrath, but the token of power is something new. I recall more than once reading that there were many banes beneath Mount Thunder, the Illearth Stone being the one Foul most desired. I'm guessing (wildly) that the flooding stunt Linden pulled kicked one of them out the Ruinwash and into Lostson's hands.
Interesting idea. I can't think of a reason there might NOT have been something washed into the area [if not in the recent wash-out, sometime over the millenia]. OTOH, his sword is [or at least was once] a token of power.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

Seven Words wrote:Hmm..Id say I think it's Lostson Longwrath, but the token of power is something new. I recall more than once reading that there were many banes beneath Mount Thunder, the Illearth Stone being the one Foul most desired. I'm guessing (wildly) that the flooding stunt Linden pulled kicked one of them out the Ruinwash and into Lostson's hands.
His big 'ol sword has some special anti-sandgorgon properties - it was mentioned a couple times that Kasreyn forged it before creating Sandgorgon's Doom. So that was what leapt to mind to me - Lostson, with the sword, in the swamp.
Unbelieverable
Servant of the Land

Post by Unbelieverable »

I know this isn't the predictions thread but....So Longwrath loses the Elohims' geas since they're now imprisoned by Jerry. Now he has a badass sword that can kill sandgorgons...that's one enemy of the land that'll be handled. Maybe we'll see the giants break off into a third party for that reason...to fight the sandgorgons w/ Longwrath?
"Something in her expression made Covenant feel that he came from a very poor world, where no one knew or cared about healing stoneware pots."
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

If it is Longwrath (and that's my thought also,) then he must've hauled some serious ass to get from northwest boundary of Andelain to Sarangrave Flat in just a few days.

Speaking of, just how many days went by in AATE?
CT
Stonedownor

Post by CT »

dlbpharmd wrote: he must've hauled some serious ass to get from northwest boundary of Andelain to Sarangrave Flat in just a few days.?
Well, he is a Giant. Long stride length and all. Plus he has the whole "forgoing sleep and food in order to kill Linden" thing going on. Kinda the mascot for THOOLAH really.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

CT wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote: he must've hauled some serious ass to get from northwest boundary of Andelain to Sarangrave Flat in just a few days.?
Well, he is a Giant. Long stride length and all. Plus he has the whole "forgoing sleep and food in order to kill Linden" thing going on. Kinda the mascot for THOOLAH really.
He's already been chosen to represent us. We call him "Lonnie" for short.
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

dlbpharmd wrote:If it is Longwrath (and that's my thought also,) then he must've hauled some serious ass to get from northwest boundary of Andelain to Sarangrave Flat in just a few days.

Two, maybe three?
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

Prover of Life wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:If it is Longwrath (and that's my thought also,) then he must've hauled some serious ass to get from northwest boundary of Andelain to Sarangrave Flat in just a few days.

Two, maybe three?
4 or 5.

1 in part 1
2 in part 2 till the parting of ways, then 1-2 more. Covenant saw 2 dawns by the seaside.
The Puissant
Servant of the Land

Post by The Puissant »

I'm think Longwrath.
They will heed me, for I am The Puissant!
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Without going into any detail, let me warn those who are spoiler-averse that the trailer for TLD and the teaser chapter for that book may suggest answers to the questions this thread poses.

'nuff said.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Against All Things Ending”