New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

MsMary - who is your favorite Doctor? I grew up with Baker but have really grown to love Tennant.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

And those are two of my favorites. :)

David Tennant is an extremely expressive actor - it didn't take me long to become a total fan.

Though I have to say I'm rather enjoying Matt Smith.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Today's episode was actually a good one. So I'm assuming Moffat had very little to do with it. ;)
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Aw, be fair. Moffatt has written some good episodes.

Some of the ones I liked include "The Empty Child", "The Girl in the Fireplace", and "Blink."

This week was "Hide" right? That appears to have been written by Neil Cross. I don't believe I've heard of him before.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Yeah, he's new. He wrote this one and the one from two weeks ago, the not-as-good episode The Rings of Akhaten.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

MsMary wrote:Aw, be fair. Moffatt has written some good episodes.

Some of the ones I liked include "The Empty Child", "The Girl in the Fireplace", and "Blink."
All written before he took over as head writer and executive producer, as were Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead, two of my favourite Season 4 episodes.

Moffat's stuff is good, but since he took over none of my favourite episodes have been his (Vincent and the Doctor in Season 5 was written by Richard Curtis, while The Doctor's Wife in Season 6 was written by Neil Gaiman).
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The main story episodes, and some of the little details in other episodes that tie into the main storylines (ie, those that are put in by the producers and not the writer of the one-shot) tend to be the worst parts since he took over.

Basically, Moffat's major storylines for the Doctor are bad.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I have to say I still enjoy the show, regardless.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I just watched the newest episode, Hide, which was also written by Neil Cross (of The Rings of Akhaten), and it was really good.

Good supporting characters, a good story with a nice twist that wasn't ridiculous like they sometimes are, and some interesting insights on Clara (and her relationship with the TARDIS).

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS wasn't bad, although the "monsters" were incredibly dumb. Disappointed that they had Clara find out about the whole dying-again thing and then erased her memory of it.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Neil Gaiman's episode this season was okay. Not great. The Doctor vs Doctor chess match was a little dumb. I'm a bit disappointed.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I quite enjoyed Nightmare in Silver. Yes, the Chess match was a little overdone, but Matt Smith did a pretty good evil Doctor.

I agree it wasn't as good as The Doctor's Wife though.

I really enjoyed The Crimson Horror last week, but then again I really like Vastra, Jenny and Strax.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Yeah, I loved seeing Jenny, Vastra and Strack again.

I've found the series 7 part 2 episodes a little disjointed, especially the first two.

Enjoyed The Crimson Horror and Nightmare in Silver, though.

Anyone watched The Name of the Doctor yet? That was mind-blowing.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

MsMary wrote:Yeah, I loved seeing Jenny, Vastra and Strack again.

I've found the series 7 part 2 episodes a little disjointed, especially the first two.

Enjoyed The Crimson Horror and Nightmare in Silver, though.

Anyone watched The Name of the Doctor yet? That was mind-blowing.
Watched The Name Of The Doctor and loved it, best episode of the 7th Series. Really summed up Clara's "Impossible Girl" Arc well and a fantastic Cliff Hanger for the Anniversary Special. Is it November yet?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

sindatur wrote: Is it November yet?
NOOOOOooooooo!

More's the pity. :P

That's a long time to wait for the next episode.
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

I thought all the Season 7.2 episodes were great! Can't wait to see John Hurt join the show. He's a great actor, good or bad character notwithstanding.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Billy G. wrote:I thought all the Season 7.2 episodes were great! Can't wait to see John Hurt join the show. He's a great actor, good or bad character notwithstanding.
Yup.

Most popular theories on TrekBBS are:

1. that he is an unknown Incarnation of The Doctor during The Time War (After McGann, before Eccelston), who did something even worse than Eccelston and Tennant have told us, and the NuWho Doctors stripped him of the Title "The Doctor" because he was undesrving of the name.
2. He is a Pre-Hartnell Doctor who did something unforgivable, and became a "New Person" when he Regenerated into Hartnell and eventually went on the run to build a less dispicable life (Would help explain the extra unknown faces in The Brain of Morbius)

There is still one period that he could easily be from, but, no one is putting forth the theory.

3. We never actually saw Troughton regenerate into Pertwee. The forced Regeneration of Troughton, could've turned him into Hurt, and his bitterness could've led him to do unspeakable things, leading to future incarnations stripping him of the name "The Doctor", and then when his incarnation was over, he regenerated into Pertwee. Considering Genesis of the Daleks has been retconned as a first shot in The Time War, this Pre-Pertwee Incarnation could even be a timey-wimey "Time War Doctor" (Since history was often being changed by The Time War itself, each side turning previous wins into losses for the other)

And then of course, there are a few who put forth that he might be a Future incarnation, though that ones got a lot of holes in it, since it's hard to imagine he is hiding from a secret about a future incarnation, that he has never met (It would work for the Valleyard, since he's met that future incarnation, but, there was nothing noble or compassionate or anything of the sort about what the Valleyard did)
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Akasri
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

I came into this show late - never saw an episode prior to the time SciFi started showing the Eccleston episodes.

Is there Time War ever shown in any of the series? Or is there someplace you can read about it? I hear it referenced a lot, but am really confused on what went on during the Time War.
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

Unfortunately, no. To the best of my knowledge, The Time War is the most important Dr. Who story never to be aired or told in its entirety. Based on what I could collect from fragments mentioned here and there the Daleks and Time Lords became engaged in an all-or-nothing battle that threatened to engulf the universe. Apparently, the good Doctor wound up destroying both sides rather than letting the alternative occur. Some Daleks escaped in a null-ship, hiding in the Void between dimensions, while Gallifrey itself was put into a time loop. Rassilon, founder of the Time Lords, tried to manipulate The Master into allowing Gallifrey to escape its loop but once again The Doctor stopped this plot. Apparently he carries a lot of guilt over his actions and this also accounts for the fact that, except for The Master and possibly The Rani (has she ever shown up again?), The Doctor is the only remaining Time Lord in existence....of which we are aware.

There might be more information--better information, for certain--about it online. I'll have to look into it myself.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Akasri wrote:I came into this show late - never saw an episode prior to the time SciFi started showing the Eccleston episodes.

Is there Time War ever shown in any of the series? Or is there someplace you can read about it? I hear it referenced a lot, but am really confused on what went on during the Time War.
Nah, what we know about The Time War is all exposition from Eccelston/Tennant eras.

In the Season Finale, The Name of The Doctor,The Great Intelligence, went into The Doctor's Time Stream, and turned his victories into losses, and Clara jumped in, and corrected that and turned those losses back into victories.

This is basically what the Time War was. The Daleks would go into some past point in Time Lord history and change the outcome, which had Universe wide reprecussions (If the Time Lord's wins become losses, the Daleks become stronger and aren't prevented from doing unspeakable things on a grand scale). Then The Time Lords would strike back and change that loss back into an even bigger victory, or monkeyed with The Dalek's past to weaken them, and back and forth and back and forth for Centuries, throughout all of time and space. The Tom Baker Serial Genesis of the Daleks was retconned offsccreen in an interview or book by RTD (Producer who brought Doctor Who back to TV in 2005) as being the first shot in the Time War (Genesis of the Daleks is an Origin story for The Daleks, and The Time Lords sent Doctor 4, Tom Baker, back into time to prevent the Daleks from being created. At some point, after the 1996 TV Movie with McGann, and before Eccelston met Rose in the first nuWho episode Rose, The Doctor used "The Moment" and destroyed/Timelocked Gallifrey, The Time Lords and the Daleks. Prior to the John Hurt Doctor reveal, it's always been assumed that McGann Doctor did this, before becoming Eccelston Doctor, or Eccelston Doctor did this before meeting Rose (The wound was fresh, as Eccelston/Tennant needed Rose to heal him from the awful things he did). I personally have always believed, McGann did the Time War atrocities and "The Moment" caused McGann's death, and he regenerated into Eccelston. With the John Hurt Doctor reveal, there is now a possibility it was neither mcGann nor Eccelston, but, the Hurt Doctor.

RTD didn't want to deal with the Time Lords in NuWho, so, he threw in a back story of the Time War in order to take the Time Lords and Gallifrey off the table. It also provided him drama with "The last of The Time Lords" and "I destroyed my entire race"

Return to “TV Shows”