Audiobooks for Thomas Covenant

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

phantomshark
Servant of the Land

Audiobooks for Thomas Covenant

Post by phantomshark »

My brother is interested in these books after hearing me rave about them for 30 years or so. He wants them on audio book, so I've been looking everywhere. I finally found some downloadable versions of them, but the narrator (a woman named Terry Sales, spelling might be off) is the worst I have ever heard. Are there any other versions of these books, and if so where can I find them?
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Be Welcome to the Watch, phantomshark.
Be Well Come and True.

Here's the first chrons, as read by Scott Brick. Awesome narrator.

I thought he had done some of the second chrons, but I am currently not seeing them...

I had heard a woman had recorded the chrons for the Library for the Blind, which may be the ones you found. Those books tend to be read by untrained volunteers, which may explain why you find her nonengaging. Scott is a professional, and worth listening to.
phantomshark
Servant of the Land

Post by phantomshark »

Ok, that sounds much better. Unfortunately, I cannot afford those exorbitant prices. I get my audiobooks through Audible normally. Very disappointing, but I'll pass the information along to my brother. I can't see him spending $35 a book, but who knows. Thanks for the info.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I'm pretty sure Scott has books offered by audible.com, but I don't know if the chrons are among them. There are Watchers who have purchased Scott's editions; hopefully one of them will post with other sites which may carry them.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

Welcome to the Watch, phantomshark! May you thrive here...and contribute.

Opinion: Consider what you would pay for a dead-tree copy of an SRD book. Listen to the samples of Scott Brick's narration and consider the worth that quality of narration adds. Is the cost of his audiobook versions really not a worthwhile value?

Caveat: Other than the ragged paperbacks of the first Chrons I bought in the late '70s and the TLD advance copy I won in a contest here on the Watch (and will pass forward once Menolly and I finish it), my entire printed SRD collection was bought as hardback firsts, so I am used to paying relatively top dollar for his works. I don't know Brick personally (other than having met him and shared a bottle of wine with him at the 2011 Elohimfest), but I am a fan of his audiobooks and know how much research he puts into making his interpretation as vivid and true to author intent as possible.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
phantomshark
Servant of the Land

Post by phantomshark »

Literally don't have the money, living paycheck to paycheck right now, and sometimes having to skimp on food for a couple of days until my next paycheck. My 1 vice is my $14.95 a month Audible membership which gets me 1 audiobook a month, but these books are not available on it. I'd love for my brother to finally experience Covenant, but I know he won't pay $35 a book, and if I loan him my paperback copies he'll never get around to reading them. It's taken years of cajoling to get him interested in hearing these books. I guess I'll give him these copies with the horrible monotone narrator, but doubt if the experience will be as magical for him as it was for me.
Orlion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Orlion »

I hear ya. I would love to own the First Chronicles read by Brick, but I can not justify the expense at the moment. There is a reason why they are a little pricey: Scott did not read them under a company contract. He pretty much obtained (somehow) the audio rights to the First Chronicles and narrated them on his own time with his own dollars. That's why you can not find them on Audible.
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”