New Dr Who

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:Why would they ever do that? This show will go until no one is watching.
If I recall what little I know regarding the Time L-rds regeneration ability correctly, they have a limit of regenerating of only 12 times. Hence the debate that occurred when Romana changed her appearance several times before tricking the Doctor in to accepting her second permanent appearance, and the Master needing outside help to regenerate in to Anthony Ainley's portrayal. I don't know if that was the case with later Masters, if there have been any, since I haven't seen any Master episodes since Ainley's portrayal.

Oh! But if they can regenerate 12 times, perhaps that means there can be 13 Doctor's. Although I do not know if Hartnell's Doctor was canonically his birth form...
Yes, you are correct, according to Classic Doctor Who, a Time Lord Regenerates 12 times, for a total of 13 lives (Let's not forget the John Hurt Character in the Series 7 Finale, who will be expanded upon in the Anniversary Special. If he truly is a previously unknown Regeneration, then the Doctor will be on his last life when he Regenerates in the Christmas Special. But, there are many, many ways to give him more Regenerations. The show, should, for Drama-sake, let the Doctor believe he is on his last life, and possibly make the character be more cautious than he ever has been before, and when he lays down to die for his final time, and instead Regenerates, he could be surprised that he didn't die forever.

River gave him some Regeneration energy in Let's Kill Hitler, that could be enough right there to give him another life.

It could be revealed he got more Regenerations from the Time Lords when he helped them in the Time War, or maybe that now they are gone, he somehow aquired hundreds of Regenerations from their abscence, or naturally has more from so much time travelling in the Time Vortex (That's how River became a Time Lady, beiung conceived in the Time Vortex, and the Audios say how Time Lords became Toime Lords).

Or, maybe Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter in the episode of the same name) could finally return, and somehow sacrifice herself that results in The Doctor sucking up all her Regenerations.

The Master Stole bodies in Nyssa's first episode, and in The Paul McGann Movie (The Enemy Within) and was looking to get Regeneration in Turlough's last episodes (The Planet of Fire)

The lsit of ways to give him more lives can be unending. As long as people are still watching, they will find a way to Regenerate him.

Ms. Mary, Peter Capaldi was also in Torchwood Children of Earth Miniseries. He was the Administrator with a Family we got to see quite a bit of, character name John Frobisher, and a completely different character portrayal then in The Fires of Pompeii
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

sindatur wrote:Yes, you are correct, according to Classic Doctor Who, a Time Lord Regenerates 12 times, for a total of 13 lives (Let's not forget the John Hurt Character in the Series 7 Finale, who will be expanded upon in the Anniversary Special. If he truly is a previously unknown Regeneration, then the Doctor will be on his last life when he Regenerates in the Christmas Special. But, there are many, many ways to give him more Regenerations. The show, should, for Drama-sake, let the Doctor believe he is on his last life, and possibly make the character be more cautious than he ever has been before, and when he lays down to die for his final time, and instead Regenerates, he could be surprised that he didn't die forever.

River gave him some Regeneration energy in Let's Kill Hitler, that could be enough right there to give him another life.

It could be revealed he got more Regenerations from the Time Lords when he helped them in the Time War, or maybe that now they are gone, he somehow aquired hundreds of Regenerations from their abscence, or naturally has more from so much time travelling in the Time Vortex (That's how River became a Time Lady, beiung conceived in the Time Vortex, and the Audios say how Time Lords became Toime Lords).

Or, maybe Jenny (The Doctor's Daughter in the episode of the same name) could finally return, and somehow sacrifice herself that results in The Doctor sucking up all her Regenerations.

The Master Stole bodies in Nyssa's first episode, and in The Paul McGann Movie (The Enemy Within) and was looking to get Regeneration in Turlough's last episodes (The Planet of Fire)

The lsit of ways to give him more lives can be unending. As long as people are still watching, they will find a way to Regenerate him.
Thanks sin!

As I have said before, my own Doctor exposure is from the classic show, and only through Davidson. I have seen the sporadic Colin Baker and Eccelston episode, but that's it. There is much you mention above I haven't seen, and I have never heard any of the audio series.

One day I'll gain access to it all, and then all will become clear. :hearts:
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

My recollection is that the Time Lords themselves imposed the 12 regeneration limit, when there was a council of Time Lords. With no council, there is no one to enforce the limit.

Plus what others have already said. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

I think that The Master once used the Sash of Rassilon and subjected himself to the unshielded energies of the stabilized black hole that was Gallifrey's central power source to renew all of his regenerations. The other Time Lords might not even have guessed that such a thing was possible, but desperation drove him to take that calculated risk.
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

sindatur wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:The Silence was established around The Impossible Astronaut and A Good Man Goes To War as a species and an organisation, rather than just "silence" in general.
Sure, but, it doesn't mean that out couldn't be used, it could've been misdirection all along (I don't believe it was direction of this sort, but, it could be)

I mean heck, we don't even know if the forgettable creatures are a Race called The Silence (Or The Silents) or if that's only the name of the Religious group they are a part of. And we don't know if a singluar one is a Silent or a Silence.
Moffett said loose ends would be tied up. River has effectively been and I expect the Silence also.

I think the they "fall" to become the Vashta Nerada seen in "Silence in the Library".
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I would be surprised if that were to be the case, frankly. I think the Vashta Nerada are something completely different.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
peter
The Gap Into Spam

Post by peter »

I'm Murrin wrote:So the new Doctor Who is Peter Capaldi. Who was in World War Z as "W.H.O. Doctor".
Capaldi's performance as Leonardo in 'The Mind of Leonardo da Vinci' was fantastic - enough to make me consider watching the new Dr Who episodes when they start appearing with him in the lead. I left the series when I was about fifteen [40 odd years ago] and never took up with the new ones. But I did love it, and I think the theme tune is one of my favorite tunes full stop. That Capaldi is in his 50's is I think a good thing - the first doctor [William Hartnell?] was an old man, and that always struck me as being somehow right.
The truth is a Lion and does not need protection. Once free it will look after itself.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

peter wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:So the new Doctor Who is Peter Capaldi. Who was in World War Z as "W.H.O. Doctor".
Capaldi's performance as Leonardo in 'The Mind of Leonardo da Vinci' was fantastic - enough to make me consider watching the new Dr Who episodes when they start appearing with him in the lead. I left the series when I was about fifteen [40 odd years ago] and never took up with the new ones. But I did love it, and I think the theme tune is one of my favorite tunes full stop. That Capaldi is in his 50's is I think a good thing - the first doctor [William Hartnell?] was an old man, and that always struck me as being somehow right.
Heh. Funny thing is, although Hartnell was indeed an Old Man when he took on the role in 1963, he was 55 years, which is the same age Capaldi is now.

The first episode he appears in, will be the Christmas Special (He'll likely only be in about the last minute of it for the Regeneration) and then Series 8, he will be the lead, which is currently to start airing around early to mid-September 2014.
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

I will always think of him as the angel Islington in Neverwhere, as I think that was the first place I encountered him. As well as several others that have appeared on Doctor Who.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Anniversary Special has a title and a run time finally (Spoiler coding for anyone who doesn't want to know the title)
Spoiler
The Day of The Doctor Run time 75 minutes

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Well fudge.

I was going to post the poster for the special, but spoiler tags apparently don't work on images...
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

Menolly wrote:Well fudge.

I was going to post the poster for the special, but spoiler tags apparently don't work on images...
So give a spoiler warning and space before and after image, or provide a link (Or ask if anyone is so against Spoilers they want to avoid the Poster, it's not that big a spoiler and nobody may mind), I'm fairly spoilerphobic, but, posters, guest stars, episode adversaries, previews and titles don't bother me (Actual plot twists, that's where I draw the line). It's an awesome poster, IMHO.

MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

The poster is awesome!
Spoiler
Exploding Daleks! Bad Wolf! Tardis door! Two Doctors! John Hurt!
Is it November yet??!!
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

MsMary wrote:The poster is awesome!
Spoiler
Exploding Daleks! Bad Wolf! Tardis door! Two Doctors! John Hurt!
Is it November yet??!!
Not yet, but, we're getting closer every day.

I'm also excited about the Biopic of the First Doctor's Tenure (Hartnell will be played by David Bradley who played Filch in Harry Potter and the bad Guy in The Series 7 episode Dinosaurs on a Spaceship

An Adventure in Time and Spacewww.imdb.com/title/tt2663812/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

Iolanthe wrote:Peter Capaldi is a great choice. I saw him years ago in some series on the telly and liked him then. Strangely, he is 55, the same age as William Hartnell was when he took on the role, but WH looked like an old man whereas PC looks much younger. Shows how times have changed. I hope he stays longer than recent Dr Whos have done.
(5 August)

Peter wrote:That Capaldi is in his 50's is I think a good thing - the first doctor [William Hartnell?] was an old man, and that always struck me as being somehow right.
(12 August)

Deja-vu. :roll:
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Anyone going to see the 50th anniversary special in the theatre? I just got my tickets! So excited!

:S

www.doctorwho.tv/watch-the-day-of-the-doctor/
- I'm always all right.

EZBoard Survivor
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

sindatur wrote:
Menolly wrote:
I'm Murrin wrote:Why would they ever do that? This show will go until no one is watching.
If I recall what little I know regarding the Time L-rds regeneration ability correctly, they have a limit of regenerating of only 12 times. Hence the debate that occurred when Romana changed her appearance several times before tricking the Doctor in to accepting her second permanent appearance, and the Master needing outside help to regenerate in to Anthony Ainley's portrayal. I don't know if that was the case with later Masters, if there have been any, since I haven't seen any Master episodes since Ainley's portrayal.

Oh! But if they can regenerate 12 times, perhaps that means there can be 13 Doctor's. Although I do not know if Hartnell's Doctor was canonically his birth form...
Yes, you are correct, according to Classic Doctor Who, a Time Lord Regenerates 12 times, for a total of 13 lives (Let's not forget the John Hurt Character in the Series 7 Finale, who will be expanded upon in the Anniversary Special. If he truly is a previously unknown Regeneration, then the Doctor will be on his last life when he Regenerates in the Christmas Special. But, there are many, many ways to give him more Regenerations. The show, should, for Drama-sake, let the Doctor believe he is on his last life, and possibly make the character be more cautious than he ever has been before, and when he lays down to die for his final time, and instead Regenerates, he could be surprised that he didn't die forever.

Ms. Mary, Peter Capaldi was also in Torchwood Children of Earth Miniseries. He was the Administrator with a Family we got to see quite a bit of, character name John Frobisher, and a completely different character portrayal then in The Fires of Pompeii
Remember the first rule of the Doctor from River's journal:

"The Doctor lies".

There really is no way to tell how many regenerations he has, or even how old he is. He could have been given extra regenerations by the Council when he took up "The Moment". After all, if they could reanimate The Master, it shouldn't be that difficult to kick in a few regenerations.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
SerScot
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SerScot »

No comments on the minisode that show's McGann's regeneration into Hurt?
"Futility is the defining characteristic of life. Pain is proof of existence" - Thomas Covenant
Hashi Lebwohl
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Hashi Lebwohl »

No, aside from the fact that it was nice of them to use McGann, since he really got robbed of his time as The Doctor. One movie and that's it? Really?

That was pretty funny, though: "I'm a Doctor, but not the one you were expecting".
The Tank is gone and now so am I.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

SerScot wrote:No comments on the minisode that show's McGann's regeneration into Hurt?
I loved it.

Return to “TV Shows”