Names in TLD

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Names in TLD

Post by earthbrah »

One aspect to this story that I loved is all the new names we got along the way. Let’s see…

Lots of new Giantish names. Wiver Setrock, Squallish Blustergale, Keenreef, Etch Furledsail, Bluff Stoutgirth, Baf Scatterwit. I especially liked getting the names Spume Frothbreeze and Far Horizoneyes when they appeared in the story. Favorite new Giantish name?

Some new Haruchai names, like Canrik and Dast. Their names continue to sound weird to me.
Chosen-son was a good one for Jeremiah.
Stave Rockbrother!
Of course, Caerwood ur-Mahrtiir was a great one!
Hearing Brinn refer to Covenant as the Illender and Prover of Life was a great addition.
And…the Acolyte?
Anyway, what are your thoughts on all the names we got in this story?
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Krilly
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Krilly »

I definitely liked the new giants and their names, they were a lot more memorable than the swordmainir IMO... particularly Stoutgirth and Scatterwit.
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

yea..Baf Scatterwitt..definitely a comic relief in that one...but still...introduced in AATE but materialized in TLD,, as far as names go..Mishio Massima still hits a nerve like no other..what a fantastic name for just a ugly beast of burden that eats a lot of grass...I don't remember the author having one kind word for that horse...In a way.".Mishio Massima" makes up for that.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD

Return to “The Last Dark”