Instances of Cooperation in TLD

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
How can something be AWESOME, BRILLIANT, and yet ALMOST everything we hoped for?
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the very good.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

"Almost everything we hoped for" doesn't have to be read as a criticism, you know. Glass half full, and all that.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Post by thewormoftheworld'send »

Horrim Carabal wrote:
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
How can something be AWESOME, BRILLIANT, and yet ALMOST everything we hoped for?
Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the very good.
Right! So here's an illustration of how I thought SRD did with TLD over-all.

(Keep an eye on the upper right corner of the picture.)
i.imgur.com/jQczEdc.gif
Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.W ... unTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

parents

Post by Simanent »

earthbrah wrote:TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Of course we all feel guilt. But Covenant's is a religious-like conscience in which he - basically - compares himself to Satan. He acts like an adult who had a super-religious parent as a child who always scared him with the dire threat of Hell.
Perhaps he did have such parents. I'd bet not, but I just now realized that we never once learn anything about Covenant's parents throughout the entire Chronicles. Clearly they were never necessary for Donaldson's story, but it only now strikes me as strange that we know nothing about them. :?
I posted about TCs absent parents some months back. I don't think it's enough to say that they were unnecessary, rather their complete absence was necessary. I actually think that in some crazy way the creator is TCs dad. Anyone able to tell me what town TC comes from? His reak world resembles our world but I don't think it is our world.
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

parents

Post by Simanent »

earthbrah wrote:TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
Of course we all feel guilt. But Covenant's is a religious-like conscience in which he - basically - compares himself to Satan. He acts like an adult who had a super-religious parent as a child who always scared him with the dire threat of Hell.
Perhaps he did have such parents. I'd bet not, but I just now realized that we never once learn anything about Covenant's parents throughout the entire Chronicles. Clearly they were never necessary for Donaldson's story, but it only now strikes me as strange that we know nothing about them. :?
I posted about TCs absent parents some months back. I don't think it's enough to say that they were unnecessary, rather their complete absence was necessary. I actually think that in some crazy way the creator is TCs dad. Anyone able to tell me what town TC comes from? His reak world resembles our world but I don't think it is our world.
Horrim Carabal
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Horrim Carabal »

I agree that TC's "real world" is probably not our world. Most likely some sort of parallel universe.
native
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by native »

Horrim Carabal wrote:I agree that TC's "real world" is probably not our world. Most likely some sort of parallel universe.
I was curious about the physics. If the sun had really ceased to exist - at one point it was described as a star - then the planet would have frozen very quickly. And the gravity implications would have been rather dramatic too. And how did it come back? Was it an Elohim? Did one of the others replace it?

The answer for me is that physics doesn't apply because it's a fantasy world. A dream world only distinguished from a true dream by the laws it abides by. Break too many and it falls apart.

I note that the narrative structure of the story arc and the structure of the arch of time react to the breaking of rules in roughly the same way. I don't know if this was intentional but the narrative structure of the story also collapsed towards the end. Maybe SRD was trying to say something.
earthbrah
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by earthbrah »

native wrote:
I note that the narrative structure of the story arc and the structure of the arch of time react to the breaking of rules in roughly the same way. I don't know if this was intentional but the narrative structure of the story also collapsed towards the end. Maybe SRD was trying to say something.
That is a very interesting observation! I hadn't thought of it, but you may be on to something. Essentially you are seeing (or drawing) a parallel between the Arch of Time and the story arc. I'm just ruminating here, but the Arch of Time serves to keep the Landiverse intact, and the story arc serves to keep the internal consistency intact. So as the Landiverse crumbles and collapses, the story arc follows suit. Or one is a reflection of the other. Blurry lines, indeed! I'll have to think on this some more, but I really like the comparison.
"Verily, wisdom is like hunger. Perhaps it is a very fine thing--but who would willingly partake of it."
--Saltheart Foamfollower

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

earthbrah wrote:native wrote:
That is a very interesting observation! I hadn't thought of it, but you may be on to something. Essentially you are seeing (or drawing) a parallel between the Arch of Time and the story arc. I'm just ruminating here, but the Arch of Time serves to keep the Landiverse intact, and the story arc serves to keep the internal consistency intact. So as the Landiverse crumbles and collapses, the story arc follows suit. Or one is a reflection of the other. Blurry lines, indeed! I'll have to think on this some more, but I really like the comparison.
Basic Instinct worked like that. It shows a man in a situation he cannot make sense of by having a plot that makes less sense as it goes along.

There's many interesting interpretations of TLD but as you read it they don't occur because events are moving forwards so quickly that your attention is focused on what you'll be shown next. Other chronicles tended to have a lot of mulling over time available. Publishers decision to make the book short was really unhelpful in this respect.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Publishers decision to make the book short was really unhelpful in this respect.
Do we know that this happened?
Simanent
Woodhelvennin

Post by Simanent »

dlbpharmd wrote:
Publishers decision to make the book short was really unhelpful in this respect.
Do we know that this happened?
Personally I don't. Seems to be the consensus though.

Return to “The Last Dark”