The Walking Dead TV series on AMC

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

sgt.null wrote: 4) if they know people turn when they die, why aren't the posting overnight guards and locking people in their cells? even in modern prisons you have manual key locks for when the power goes out. if it is an older unit you can roll all the doors at once from a separate place in front of the cells.
I didn't think of those other things, only this #4. Now, let me see...
Spoiler
When Carol said she'd murdered the two, I said "Ah, they decided to kill off her character." This is what they do when they are getting ready to write a female regular out. Have her do acts that make some people react with "B++++." Well, they didn't kill her, only had Rick exile her. To me, it made complete sense. She would have killed Carl if it had been him. No one would be safe. At the same time, her decision was irrational. Everyone in the cell block was exposed. Of course, also how would she be sure of that... I admit.
On the internet, no one can see your evil smirk.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Gah.....more stupid people doing stupid things.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Akasri »

Quite the bloodbath though LOL
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

You're holed up in a fortress, and.....

- You don't have at least one trained sniper.

- You do nothing to reinforce the fence.

- You have no passive security measures in that HUGE open area between the fence and the prison. Seriously, a couple of camouflaged pits would have done a world of good.

- They haven't sent groups out in ever-widening arcs to get essentials like baby food and medication. Seriously, every time the kid runs out of diapers, they're like, "dammit, we need to go get some!"

I understand these are supposed to be regular people, but Jeez....Rick's all banged-up, Carl's distraught, and they leave half a dozen vehicles behind so they can walk away from the prison.

The show is rapidly becoming "silly people making bad decisions". Yeah, there were some great set-pieces this season (the biters falling through the ceiling), but I kept slapping myself on the forehead when they continued to do the dumbest stuff possible.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

I'm just now getting back into this after abandoning it after 2 episodes. I've had assurances from people I trust that it's worth it. So far, 5 episodes in, I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

I'm trying to avoid the spoilers in this thread, but it looks like some are getting frustrated with it?
Joe Biden … putting the Dem in dementia since (at least) 2020.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's still a very watchable show Zar, but it's frustrating as all get-out that these idiots haven't learned anything in the year-plus since Z-Day.

It's ridiculous that Rick (a freaking cop) wouldn't mandate basic firearms training, basic first-aid training, and basic hand-to-hand training.

And again, the strategic and tactical choices that have been made are just silly. If I'm in a fortified position, you can damn well believe that I'm going to have regular patrols, some serious passive and active defenses, and a way to hustle everyone out quickly and covertly.
Billy G.
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Billy G. »

TWD has ruined the zombie genre for me. I love it! --- but when I saw zombies RUNNING after the people in the remake of Dawn of the Dead, I said, "Wait a minute, Zombies are supposed to be slow and really stupid." rofl
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Shane is a really interesting character. What he did to Otis in S2 was pretty horrific, but probably justifiable.* The way he's tortured by it makes him sympathetic, and yet I'm still repulsed by him. The writers are walking an interesting line between making him understandable and yet creepy. Nice anti-hero.

The other characters are okay. I like how the writers give them all small moments that build consistently from episode to episode, instead of just randomly throwing them in without a clue where to take them. The kids are finally starting to get interesting. I'm glad they became vehicles for the plot in this season ... you would worry about your kids more than anything else, in a situation like this. And the boy (Carl?) is a tough little chap. I liked the bonding moment between father and son when he says they've now both been shot. That's a hell of a thing for a boy to share with his dad--or vice versa.

*(Though, couldn't he have shot him in the head and put him out of his misery, instead of the leg? I suppose the zombies need live meat, but we didn't get that detail/realization until the next episode with the swimmer in the well. Shane wouldn't have known.)
Rawedge Rim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rawedge Rim »

one of the funniest things I think of is this, me and Soulbiter grew up one county over from where this is supposed to be happening, and I keep wondering, hasn't any of these idiots ever heard of trot-line, jug fishing, fish traps, and during the spring and summer, how about bream fishing, rabbit traps, possums, etc., not much human pressure on wildlife anymore, should be something out there to eat, heck, most yards in Georgia have a hell of a dandelion problem, and they are edible, not to mention poke salud, etc., instead they stand around wandering where thier next meal is coming from.
“One accurate measurement is worth a
thousand expert opinions.”
- Adm. Grace Hopper

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

Funny you should mention fishing ... I'm up to Ep. 9 or 10 in season three, and Darrell just suggested to Merle that they should drop a line in the Yellow Jacket river. It's the first time I've heard anyone suggest it. I suppose sitting in one spot waiting for a fish makes one walker bait, but one could easily build nets or traps as you've suggested.

This post-Zombie apocalypse sure is a small world. The fact that humanity can scatter and still meet their long-lost brothers or abandoned Andreas or Glenn on a baby formula run is freakin' amazing.

I can't believe they didn't do a complete perimeter check of the prison. I can't believe they didn't do a better job locking down cell block by cell block. This place was designed for security, with gates you can lock as you go, and yet in their very first excursion they let zombies get behind them in the hallways? Bizarre.
Zarathustra
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zarathustra »

We finished up season 3 last night. I was surprised that they let the Gov's people just walk out of there. It's a prison. How hard would it have been to lock the doors behind them as they penetrated deeper? They could have left Gov's army in jail, and taken over his town, which is a much nicer place to live.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

my old prison has a river behind just bursting with catfish. I used to get some every Friday. and we have pecan trees growing wild. and the warden has a lemon tree outside his office.

we grow lots of crops in the south, that prison should have a pretty bad-ass ag department.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Have just finished catching up on this and over-all, in spite of some "oh, come on" moments I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

I see from scrolling through the thread that some of you have read the comics. I am quite intrigued by Michonne and I am curious as to whether the comics go into her background at all. If they do, I might give them a whirl so any help in that area would be appreciated.

As for all the Lori hate, count me in. She just Can't Understand Normal Things and gives us women a bad name!
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Tonights episode was redemption for this series. It focused on just Daryl and Beth. You really get to know Daryl. He talked about how he was 'nothing' before the apocalypse, how he grew up with a father that was a moonshiner. Really what you realize is that the zombie apocalypse saved his life. I loved how they burned down the house at the end, burning away their pasts. Great music at the end.

Really good episode.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It was an interesting choice after last week.

Last week really brought the horror home with (finally) a glimpse at how horribly people will behave after the collapse of society. The few minutes of Rick hiding under the bed were just terrifying in their implications.
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

The Grove Tough episode. :? Not many tv writers that would take that kind of risk. Carol is the real badass in the group. My favorite female character, Daryl being my favorite male. Two of the original group.

Have to say I am enjoying Rick and especially Carl's absence.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

lorin wrote:The Grove Tough episode.
Hard to watch. Almost, but not quite, comparable to the Barn.

The shock and surprise, though, was finding Mika dead. After that, you knew what was going to happen, and you knew who would do it.

Oddly, I don't think Tyreese would have had any forgiveness had he not seen Carol do what she did. But Carol's confession smacked of a suicide wish, or at least heavy guilt. Her character may be changing towards Mika's philosophy.

Carol and Rick are going to meet in Terminus. Perhaps the Rick and the Carol who meet there won't be the Rick and Carol who parted ways. I suspect much that happens will hinge on that.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

It's been an interesting season, and I don't mean that in a good way. It's not nearly as bad as season 2, but it seems somewhat directionless. Yes, the character vignettes have been nice, but without a Big Bad, it seems like they're treading water.

I hope all this is leading up to something - whether at Terminus or not - that knocks my socks off. They keep hinting at something (non-zombie) terrible ("I claim this bed"/"I claim his vest"), and I really hope they explore the inevitable breakdown in humanity.
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Cail wrote: but it seems somewhat directionless. Yes, the character vignettes have been nice, but without a Big Bad, it seems like they're treading water.
It could be that the feeling of being directionless, of wandering is done to emphasize the fracturing of the group and the isolation. I think it has evolved into a character driven series as opposed to Season 1 which was more action driven.

I think they have also done something very smart. A lot of times you see the main character leave a series and the series dies. They have made all the primaries equally important and in a way ensuring the series is not held hostage by one actor.

I was looking at the stats. Viewership has tripled since Season 1 with this season being the highest.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

That's a fair point. I'm very, very glad the focus has been taken off of Rick because.....Well, Rick's an idiot, and an annoying one at that.

By expanding the focus of the show beyond his family drama the writers are creating more people to care about, making it a true ensemble show.

Return to “TV Shows”