Sara Clint was devoured by Her?

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Sara Clint was devoured by Her?

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

This is an obscure thing from "All Lost Women." So when/how/why/huh?! did Sara Clint end up in the Lost Deep?

P.S. Some people wonder if the last Raver will be a future threat. I think Jeremiah suggests no in the passage of "Of My Deeper Purpose" where he talks about his new lorewisdom empowering him to the potential imprisonment of moksha.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Re: Sara Clint was devoured by Her?

Post by dlbpharmd »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:This is an obscure thing from "All Lost Women." So when/how/why/huh?! did Sara Clint end up in the Lost Deep?

P.S. Some people wonder if the last Raver will be a future threat. I think Jeremiah suggests no in the passage of "Of My Deeper Purpose" where he talks about his new lorewisdom empowering him to the potential imprisonment of moksha.
This must be taken in context.

TLD, "All Lost Women"
[Linden] grasped the first spectre shrieking past her: a woman who could have been anyone, Diassomer Mininderain, Sara Clint, Joan herself, anyone at all.
Key words: "could have been."
Mighara Sovmadhi
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010

Post by Mighara Sovmadhi »

I'm being pedantic, so pardon me :P, but how could it have been possible to pull Sara Clint out of Her unless Sara Clint was in Her? Or is the sense of "could have been" different?
call11back
Servant of the Land

Post by call11back »

Mighara Sovmadhi wrote:I'm being pedantic, so pardon me :P, but how could it have been possible to pull Sara Clint out of Her unless Sara Clint was in Her? Or is the sense of "could have been" different?
If we take the theory that SHE is a reflection of a facet of Linden's personality in much the same way that Lord Foul is sometimes seen in relation to TC, then why would it not be possible for Linden to see Sara Clint in SHE?
starkllr
Ramen

Post by starkllr »

I've mentioned this in another thread, but the mention of Sara Clint in that scene bothers me a lot.

Not because Linden shouldn't be able to see her in SHE, or because she's thinking of the poor woman at all...

...but because this is the first time Linden thinks of her in nearly 3,000 pages!

The woman died an horrific death at Roger's hands, and although obviously in no way is Linden responsible for that...given her personality and her tendency towards guilt (or self-loathing, depending on your feelings towards her), it defies belief that Linden wouldn't dwell on Sara's fate and blame herself for it.

Probably often, and at great length.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

It could have been Sara Clint because she was a woman who was betrayed - her reward for being a nurse and helping the sick was being kidnapped and killed by a man.

This is merely a statement about the kind of women Linden would find in She, and that we can find such women everywhere. Linden doesn't know who they actually are, but she cannot help but imagine that they are those she has known.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Yeah, the mention of Sara Clint seemed to come out of left field for me. I was wondering what the heck she had to do with it all.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “The Last Dark”