Sensory Extremism

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Sensory Extremism

Post by lurch »

The author goes to a lot of extremes thru-out TCoTC and seems to expand the envelope in TLD, He starts off going beyond definition on Linden's feel for newly liberated Jerry, then in opposite direction, TC's ravaged soul over murdering Joan, , Ranyhyn like wise shredded to their bone. The gobbeting of Clyme , Skurj chomping Giant, the bashing of Branl , etc etc..Extremes to take us to the edge of our seats and to take us beyond the numbness of the mundane. Extremes to get us to feel, to have our own buttons pushed.

Linden's exalting Love I have known and therefore remain fascinated by the mystery , beyond defining, nature of it. And the place of " empty" in the tank of Hope I can say I'm not sure I've ever experienced even in the worst dreams. But one extreme I have experienced a couple of times is the Storm of the Worm's arrival. Micro-bursts here in Arizona are not infrequent. I've experienced two from the center of,,and they are harrowing, definitely a feel of ones fate is no longer in ones hands. 85 to 100 mph wind and rain breaks old telephone poles in half. I can say that I've " forbid" to the extreme of No, it ain't going to happen..absolute. Describing what comes over a person when in the extreme is a bit difficult because language is inadequate. We don't stop and take notes when a suicide attempt needs to be turned around. ...excetera.

The value of these extremes transcends to shaping, mollifying our expressions. Like the Feroce have it , our words, our creative out pouring, our deeds , have a memory to them, they are shaped by our experiences, however so subtle Our senses give us dimension. Our senses fill us out beyond cardboard characters.

The characters of TCoTC..fulfill their dimensioning arc's in TLD. Thank goodness leprosy isn't a world wild contagion. Its much better to have an author take us thru the extremism so we can relate our memories of experiences to the Art. None the less, its our humanity the author is taking us to, thru sensory extremism. And thats a good thing.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
OhYeah
Servant of the Land

Post by OhYeah »

...and describing of the 'love' Linden and Thomas 'feel' when they are alone during their 'honeymoon'. Oh yeah!

Return to “The Last Dark”