New addict.

Hey Newbies, over here first ;) Come on in and tell us more about yourself. IMPORTANT: For new members, please read "New Members Only" BEFORE registering.

Moderators: Savor Dam, Menolly

Chun
Servant of the Land

Post by Chun »

New Blood to spill
interesting... En garde! :wink:

I'm reading book one of the Gap Series now. I have so much fantasy scifi in my book shelves I forgot about these books from my brothers donated collection until recently, as I tended to think of Donaldson as pure fantasy.

I'm enjoying reading it although I have to say it's not the easiest book to get into - i'd have prefered there to be a bit more descriptive setting rather than just references to other regions of space aluding to further revelations. But I'll keep digging deeper, I don't give up on a challenge.

On the positive side I like how in the Gap series Donaldsons characters are again multidimensional - the 'good' guys have bad sides and sinister alterior motives, and the 'bad' guys have reasons for their twisted state which I like.

Chun
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

Chun wrote:
New Blood to spill
interesting... En garde! :wink:

I'm reading book one of the Gap Series now. I have so much fantasy scifi in my book shelves I forgot about these books from my brothers donated collection until recently, as I tended to think of Donaldson as pure fantasy.

I'm enjoying reading it although I have to say it's not the easiest book to get into - i'd have prefered there to be a bit more descriptive setting rather than just references to other regions of space aluding to further revelations. But I'll keep digging deeper, I don't give up on a challenge.

On the positive side I like how in the Gap series Donaldsons characters are again multidimensional - the 'good' guys have bad sides and sinister alterior motives, and the 'bad' guys have reasons for their twisted state which I like.

Chun
Book one? You'll probably want to know then that the consensus [with which I agree] is the series really takes off starting in book 3... [fortunately 1 and 2 aren't pricey, or as long as usual].
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Personally, I think the Gap is his best writing. Just wait...TRS is just setting the scene...it was originally meant to be a short story IIRC.

--A
Lord Foul
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Lord Foul »

You might find it interesting that... without giving out real spoilers, this perhaps might even mislead more than explain, some people
Spoiler
start liking Angus closer to the end
Might give some idea about the road ahead to take.
I have many names... and may play many roles

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Cagliostro
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cagliostro »

What I found interesting about the Gap series is how the three roles of Hero, Villian and Victim are constantly shifting among the three main characters throughout the story. And of course several other surprises that I find Donaldson excels at.
Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

It's most prevalent (or marked) in TRS I think, since that was the whole point of the story. Although of course it is a recurring theme.

--A

Return to “The Summonsing”