My TLD thoughts, and 4 new questions

Book 4 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderators: Savor Dam, High Lord Tolkien, ussusimiel

thoughtcube
Servant of the Land

Post by thoughtcube »

I might have missed something, but I didn't get the impression that Jeremiah gained anything from moksha but knowledge. And later Linden tells him "that raver is holding you back" after which he lets moksha run away, which further implies the raver wasn't giving him any benefit beyond the information he gave him before.

It just doesn't seem like there was any transfer of essence from moksha to Jeremiah. And even if there were - he's a raver, the target of forbidding, not an enactor of it. We've never seen ravers perform forbidding. It's a very good point that ravers have deep knowledge of forbidding as the targets of it, but Wildwood specifically said knowledge was not enough.

So I am still not happy about the forbidding thing :(

Perhaps another option is that... Wildwood misled them? Or exaggerated? He wanted a new Forestal, and just teaching Linden how to Forbid would not accomplish that, he needs Mahrtiir. I don't feel like I have enough to go on to guess if Forestals would so something like that, though.
Vraith
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Vraith »

thoughtcube wrote:I might have missed something, but I didn't get the impression that Jeremiah gained anything from moksha but knowledge. And later Linden tells him "that raver is holding you back" after which he lets moksha run away, which further implies the raver wasn't giving him any benefit beyond the information he gave him before.

It just doesn't seem like there was any transfer of essence from moksha to Jeremiah.
I agree completely with all that. Jerry only got some technique/understanding from the Raver.

He doesn't NEED the essence, because his innate talent INCLUDES the essence of forbidding. That is almost the entire reason the Elo were afraid of him, and why LF wanted him.
[spoiler]Sig-man, Libtard, Stupid piece of shit. change your text color to brown. Mr. Reliable, bullshit-slinging liarFucker-user.[/spoiler]
the difference between evidence and sources: whether they come from the horse's mouth or a horse's ass.
"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation."
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.

Return to “The Last Dark”