TLD Part I Chap 2: Nightfall

ROTE, FR, AATE, TLD

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

TLD Part I Chap 2: Nightfall

Post by Savor Dam »

Here I go again, following one of lurch’s dissections as we kick off another Last Chronicles tome.

As is known by those who remember the contrast between lurch’s dissection of the first chapter of AATE and mine of the second chapter, I do not approach this from any overarching philosophy such as Surrealism. Nor do I have the depth of knowledge or the eye for layers of symbolism that Wayfriend consistently picks up on. I am a simple herd-beast and I have always trusted SRD to tell a marvelous story. Thus, what I have to say may not be deep or learned, but it is always appreciative of the author’s artistry.

One thing that is different is that last time lurch got a Covenant chapter while my chapter shifted back to Linden. This time, we both get to write about a chapter from the POV of our deuteragonist.

Nightfall
The sun sets as the Ranyhyn carry Linden, Jeremiah and Stave at a gallop away from Muirwin Delenoth. Between the creeping approach of Kevin’s Dirt as it spreads to the Lower Land and a vague distress that seems to emanate from the ground itself, there growing tension. Linden is disoriented by the moonless night and the unfamiliar terrain.
She did not know where she was, and could only guess where she was going.

Nevertheless, the Ranyhyn are sure of where they are headed.
Abruptly, Hynyn uttered a loud neigh like a blare or triumph in the face of oncoming evils. And a moment later the stallion was answered. From the distance ahead came a welcoming whinny. Linden thought that she recognized Narunal’s call.

“There, Chosen,” Stave announced over the pounding of hooves. “Our companions await us where we last found water.”
Reunited…and it feels so good
The Giants are, of course, delighted that the Chosen, her son, and the Haruchai are back, even more so that Jeremiah is restored. With their natural affinity for stories, they are quickly immersed in Jeremiah’s somewhat jumbled retelling of all that has transpired, including how he freed himself. In this tale, there is plenty of joy for the ears that hear!

While this goes on, Linden has some time to talk to Mahrtiir. These two have far more in common than SRD shows on the surface. Both have an almost-unbounded capacity for self-doubt.
”Ringthane,” he breathed softly. “Linden Avery.” Though I trust the Ranyhyn in all things, I must acknowledge that I have been sorely afraid. Also I am much vexed that I was not permitted to stand at your side. I am diminished in my own estimation. I must remember that I am Ramen and human. I must not judge myself by the majesty of the Ranyhyn.”

As if she were answering him, Linden murmured privately, “Jeremiah saved himself. Now I don’t know how to help him.”

Like Mahrtiir, she would never be equal to miracles. She had to learn how to serve them, as he did.
Despite her concern for how to help Jeremiah, Linden is also feeling a growing need for action. The tension she felt in the night ride is still with her. Once Jeremiah has filled in the Swordmainnir on most of the detail of what has happened, she approaches them to ask whether they too feel the approach of Kevin’s Dirt and the disquiet that seems to come from the very rock under their feet.
”The Worm must be getting close. What else can it mean?”

“…We’re running out of time. We need to decide what we’re going to do and then we need to do it.”

The Ironhand regarded Linden for a moment, apparently searching for some clue to the turmoil that goaded her. “Your reveal a welcome alteration, Linden Giantfriend – as welcome as your son’s restoration to mind and power. Heretofore you have given your concern chiefly to him, heedless of the Earth’s doom.

I do not fault you in this,” she hastened to add. “We are Giants and adore children. Nonetheless other matters also weigh upon us. Your readiness now to challenge the foes of the Land and life lifts our spirits.”
Despite being encouraged by Linden’s new sense of perspective, Coldspray still counsels that Linden take the night to eat and rest, that morning will be soon enough to tackle the need for action.

While not key to the storyline, I appreciated how SRD captured the variability of youth in these two passages:
Jeremiah yawned unexpectedly. “I’m not just hungry,” he announced. “I’m sleepy. I thought I was too excited to sleep, but maybe I’m not.”
But scant minutes later:
”But I don’t want to sleep…this is too exciting.”
It was a long day, and it can be no surprise that Linden’s dreams are a tangled skein of happy projections of the son restored to conscious life and the many trials she has faced in the Land.

Morning *is* Broken
Linden’s dreams end with Stave’s hand at her shoulder and his low voice bidding her to rise. It is still dark. Although he tells her there is no specific cause for alarm, he and Mahrtiir have returned from their watch, and the Swordmainnir have already risen and are donning their armor for the day.

Jeremiah is also up…and apparently feeling rather chipper.
”Mom.” She could not read his face except with her health sense, but he sounded implausibly cheerful. “Did you get some sleep? I sure did.” He stretched his arms, rolled his head to loosen his neck. “ Now I feel like I can conquer the world.”

As if he were performing a parlor trick, he snapped his fingers and a quick spark appeared in the air above his hand; a brief instant of flame. In itself, it was a small thing, almost trivial. But it implied –

He was already learning new uses for Anele’s gift of Earthpower. Perhaps he was becoming Earthpower.
While waiting for the dawn, the company considers again the need for action…and their lack of a clear idea what that action should be. While the Ranyhyn were the instigators of taking Jeremiah to Muirwin Delenoth where he was able to construct the door to free his mind, they express no purpose now; they are merely restless while waiting for the company to determine their own course.
”That’s all right, Mom,” Jeremiah put it, impatient for a chance to speak. “Like I told you, Infelice gave me an idea. I want to try it.”

Linden avoided his gaze. “Can you wait a little longer, Jeremiah, honey? Just until sunrise?”
Heh. As we know, that is rather the point, isn’t it? The sun isn’t going to rise…and as the company soon notices, the stars are going out. The immensity of this hits everyone hard, especially the Giants. As a seafaring race, the loss of the stars has a very practical impact: on the trackless seas, the stars are essential to navigation.

Now is the time for Jeremiah’s idea. He recognizes that the stars are vanishing because the Worm is eating the Elohim. He wants to use his construction talent to make a door that will draw the Elohim into a safe place where the Worm can’t get them…but that they can freely leave when they perceive the threat to be gone.

Linden, ever the mother, is concerned for him. She still has not come to terms with what he may have suffered in the long-ago bonfire that started his stasis, much less what happened to him when saddled with the croyel. What will this new purpose do to him if he fails at it? What will it do to him if he succeeds?

Coldspray, to whom she turns for advice, cannot offer her any insights about that.
”Your perceptions exceed any that I am able to proffer.”

More softly, the Ironhand admitted, “Yet I am able to conceive of no course more worthy of our hearts and lives than his. What greater deed can we attempt,few as we are, and friendless in this gloom? For that reason alone, I would follow him wheresoever his eagerness leads. Bu there is more.

“Linden Giantfriend, my spirit is wracked by the death of stars. In their name, my counsel is young Jeremiah’s We much do what lies within our strength to preserve the Elohim.”
She also points out that the construct Jeremiah proposes to build, and the Elohim it will shelter, will still require defense from the Worm…and that only Linden wields anything approximating the necessary power to provide that defense. With that thought hanging in the air, Linden knows she must not only approve Jeremiah’s plan, but will have to go to great lengths to protect its purpose once accomplished.

Wild Horses
Returning to her son, she tells him that they will go forward with his plan to build a door to draw the Elohim. Of what will it be made? Malachite, a mineral the company has not encountered since crossing the Hazard into the Lost Deep. The Giants have seen no sign of it. Stave, even with the comprehensive shared knowledge of the Masters, knows nothing of it since it was not something that would have drawn their interest. Needless to say, none has come to blind Mahrtiir’s attention.
Jeremiah’s consternation dominated the dusk. It demanded answers.

Linden faced him with disappointment in her eyes. “Jeremiah, honey. I’m sorry. I don’t know what else we –“

He cut her off. Ferocity flared in him as if he had suddenly become someone else: a creature of savagery and suspicion. His hands curled into claws. “That’s what you wanted to talk to Coldspray about,” he snarled. “You wanted to be sure I couldn’t get what I need before you said yes.”

His transformation shocked Linden. Suffering had done this to him, this. But she was not prepared for it. While she reeled inwardly, she could not respond.

Around her the Giants recoiled, as startled as she was and full of disapproval. But Manethrall Mahrtiir’s reaction was immediate anger. “It is not, boy,” he snapped. “There is no particle of her which does not desire your well-being – aye, and the continuance of the Land. You speak now with the voice of the croyel, and will be silent.

Surprise stopped Jeremiah. For an instant, his vehemence faltered.

At once, Mahrtiir continued, “Behold!” With one arm he flung a vehement gesture down the length of the watercourse.
Yep, you guessed it. Here come the Ranyhyn. Now that the company knows what they want to do, the Earthpowerful horses of the Land are ready to bear them in search of enough of this malachite stone for Jeremiah to construct his door.

Well, the Ranyhyn will bear Linden, Jeremiah, Stave and Mahrtiir. The eight Giants will still have to run…
”Make ready, Swordmainnir,” [Rime Coldspray] instructed. “We cannot estimate the leagues which lie ahead of us, but we must traverse them swiftly.”

“Yet again,”grumbled Frostheart Gruburn. “Must we run interminably?” Nevertheless, she did not dally as she tightened her armor and checked her sword.

“These great beasts,” the Ironhand explained sternly, “have given aid when we had no other. If they crave haste, they will learn that Giants comprehend its import.”

And so we conclude this condensation of Nightfall with the words of Giants. Quite appropriate, given that Frostheart herself will be delivering the next chapter dissection, Not Dead to Life and Use.

There is plenty more meat in this chapter to discuss...I've only scratched the surface here and very much look forward to the insights y'all will point out that I completely missed.
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Well done! and Thank you Savor Dam..You hit the highpoints and furnished much to consider. Deuteragonist right out of the starting gates is a thought. I had to look it up. 2nd in importance I'm not ready to concede. If there is to be any " ranking" to our protagonists, I would offer " equals"...thematically anyway. As " equals" is the only way it works. Linden gets the first two chapters in this book.

As an equal , Linden still doesn't understand though.The Giants repeatedly try to get her to relax. Mahtir's response to her concerns goes over her head. In her anxiety, she is full of pretense. Linden hasn't had a bath in a while ( great metaphor) . She Stinks. The Unknown, its dark, she tries to put a brave front to it, missing the concept of putting No front to it at all . Relax. Staves rebuke of the Elohim tells her she is not alone, don't be like the Elohim,,full of pretense. The Story Teller says tho, taking a bath isn't enough to cleanse from Linden the deep problems she is grappling with. Another sly joke? If all she had to do was take a bath..well then..this would be a whole different story I suspect. Where is my rubber duckie? Yes,,talk about intimacies. The Story Teller has us watching Linden taking a bath. The Land is earthy. An Unknown is given an opportunity to be realized..in the reader's mind..Natural Beauty?..See what the author did there?

And speakin of earthy, there is a nice connectivity with veins of malachite to the grass stains in her jeans. That They look the same, resemble each other, maybe the only import; connectivity itself, the magic of connectivity.

The Land is Surreal, an extra reality if you will, complete with dreams. And Linden is touched by one..of Jerry, building and discussing Mt Thunder in the living room of a place no longer available. Nice meta there, evoking the slightest wet eye on that one.Yep, no turning back , there is no place to turn back to. We are in complete and utter terra incognito..well Linden is and so are the Giants. They even say, wait till dawn, then we'll figure out what to do.. The Story Teller does a nice job of setting us up for the anticipated reaction by the characters to what we know is to come or not to come so to speak, Fascinating it is that what the reader feels is completely different from what the characters feel..I like that. That extra dimension, extra reality is the product of great writing imho.

Dream over, but her perceived nightmare is just to begin. The Worm has a bad case of the Munchies for the Metaphor. WoW MAAaaaannn!..okay okay, even the Giants probably didn't think that was funny. But, I like the complete..running into a wall sensation had by all; the complete and utter inexplicableness of a..other reality,,the Unknown. The Blown Mind,,removal of all Hope cramps everyone..except our " Whole" Jeremiah. Hes got an idea. As he tries to get it out, we see how difficult it is for the rest to shed their dismay to their predicament. ( reminds me of this place sometimes) In the Dark, a light turns on tho; Coldspray warms Linden to..doing the right thing. There are morals, even tho the Elohim have tried to harm Linden and see Jerry as an abomination, Linden shouldn't turn away from a rescue of them...Some New Testament Love there I suppose. Even the Story Teller says.." Earlier she had felt that the foundations of her life were shifting. Now they were being shattered". Reminds me of the earthquakes in Lost.

There is also another..wall of inexplicableness run into in this half dream like world , this Unknown new perspective; the story teller can be wrong also. In being intimate, it can be pretentious as well. The story teller gets so intimate, so inside Linden's thoughts, that the Story Teller repeats Linden's incorrect perceptions and thoughts. The Story Teller is pretentious as the Elohim and as Linden is when dealing with her fears. Classic line; " When the sun rose, the confused tangle of who she was and who she needed to be , might begin to unravel like the recursive wards which had sealed the Lost Deep." Nice play on perspectives and again there is the repeating motif of..if it had come to past,,the story would end there. But the author has already told US the Sun doesn't rise. And,,it takes the rest of the book for Linden to unravel the recursive wards that seal her from her Self. Old Habits are Very difficult to break. The Author subtly plays with our own sense of where and when we are.

In this Dark Unknown waiting to be explored New Reality , is the beginning of Linden's realization that there are problems only she can deal with. The solution to her yearnings for Covenant, as metaphor for Linden being the only one who can solve her deep problems,,speaks of a Love, a changed perspective.

The remaining pages of the chapter brings Purpose. Yes, all this personal identity issues and the surreal, what of it? Instinct, the Ranyhyn return at the finalization of Jerry's Idea. Trust Your Instincts. They will take you to the Freedom of your Imagination. Linden instinctively realizes her deep seated problems can only be resolved by a Love.

I really like the over all " Unknown" of this chapter called " Nightfall" . Linden at first lets her fears guide her and deal with the Unknown. By end of chapter..linden is beginning to realize that one can and possibly Has To, allow Love to guide and deal with the Unknown..in order to make it Known. This change in perspective seems to be developed and explored for the rest of the Tale.

I would liked to have seen a Illustration,,possibly front jacket,,that captured the entourage's.." shock" when it was realized the Sun will not be rising today.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Savor Dam wrote:In this tale, there is plenty of joy for the ears that hear!
Agreed, Savor Dam, and this reunion gave me the first of many emotionally satisfying moments in TLD (and that's what I appreciate and look for most when reading, above all other considerations).
Savor Dam wrote:While this goes on, Linden has some time to talk to Mahrtiir. These two have far more in common than SRD shows on the surface. Both have an almost-unbounded capacity for self-doubt.
It's true that they're both rather like that, except the Manethrall's self-doubts have some distinct boundaries. Mahrtiir has the advantage of never doubting himself when conveying the will of (and anything else concerning) the Ranyhyn, and Jeremiah's resurrection being a direct product of their Will means the Manethrall has certainty when the Sun-Sage's training encourages her to founder in doubt.
Whispering so that she would not weep again, Linden told
Mahrtiir, "He doesn't want to remember what he's been through. I can't think about anything else. No one suffers like that without being damaged."

The Manethrall stepped back to regard her with his bandaged gaze. Still softly, he replied, "That I comprehend, Ringthane. Who would if I do not, I who have lost eyes and use in a cause which exceeds my best strength? But I will speak once again of trust. Hear his vitality and joy. Hear him well. Far more than his wounds have been restored to him, and to you. If a lifetime of your love has not already wrought some healing, it will do so when its time is ripe."
It will never occur to Mahrtiir to doubt himself during these moments, and that particular moment is one of my favorites in this chapter.

Another favorite moment is when Stave answers Linden's question as to why the Elohim left a pile of quellvisk bones for use by Jeremiah when they deeply fear Jeremiah himself, and could have discovered he would use the bones when they time-travel. Though Staves directly sidesteps Linden's question as to why the Elohim chose the Lower Land, a place within Jeremiah's reach, to place the bones, he still manages to effectively answer it in a more general way, and all other queries she has at that instant.
Stave shrugged. "Mayhap they did not forsee him." then he added, "Their belief that they are equal to all things deludes them. They cnnot perceive their own misapprehensions. How otherwise did they fail to forsee that you would permit ur-Lord Covenant to retain his white gold ring when you had become the Sun-Sage? Their fear of the Unbeliever's power and resurrection blinded them to other paths."
Seems like a pretty good answer. :idea:
lurch wrote:And speakin of earthy, there is a nice connectivity with veins of malachite to the grass stains in her jeans. That They look the same, resemble each other, maybe the only import; connectivity itself, the magic of connectivity.
The pattern of grass stains helps alert Caerroil Wildwood, a product of Elohim power via the Colossus, to spare her life because it gives her the mark of fecundity and long grass. The pattern of malachite in the Lost Deep helps alert the company, via the power of Anele that was granted by the Forestal Caer-Caveral, to the ultimate danger from the Worm. The malachite in pieces is powerful enough to overpower all other desires of the powerful Elohim.
I tried to think of other connections between the grass stains and the malachite, lurch, but that is all I could come up with. Maybe someone else will see more? :cross:

Thanks to Savor Dam and lurch for these enjoyable dissections that are getting this book's Group Read rolling along. And we don't all have to be "on-target" in order to bring something interesting in, after all. :cupid:
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

CH..being off target is the best..yea,,another allude to the Elohim's belief of being equal to all things,,as being delusion,,an illusion that stops them from seeing more possibilities, more choices..
In that,,is a classic Donaldson paradox or just a good paradox...by conceiving i don't know anything for certain..I open my mind up to the most possibilities of what can be certain....or...the only way to make the unknown, known to you, is to love it...This chapter has Linden beginning to understand that. She begins to apply it to Jerry,,and knows sooner or later, she has to apply it to herself.

on the malachite/ grass stains..this gets abit luey..its the Time thing..as put in another thread..the grass stains in Runes,,act to remind Linden of what she has to do in Fatal Remnant , go back in time and visit Wildwood, come forward to All Things and find a resolution to the Question about when all things end..put to her by Wildwood..which she answers in The Last Dark..The malachite,,which by the Riddle, chapter 7, has malachite as an agent that warps, or transcends or masks..or just out and out manipulates Time..Remember as Jerry begins to build his Elohim Temple,,Linden and Mahrtir bug out using a ...caesure..So the Connectivity of the Grass stains and Malachite is that they both mess with Time...There is a Grace,,a beautiful grace imho..of the grass stains as their message spreads across and thru all of the Last Chronicles....don't forget the natural beauty of the Land..don't ever forget that each individual is a natural beauty waiting to be discovered.
If she withdrew from exaltation, she would be forced to think- And every thought led to fear and contradictions; to dilemmas for which she was unprepared.
pg4 TLD
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

The author ends the chapter on a excellent evocation of whip saw of emotions " She knew now that he needed her- and that she was going to abandon him anyway. The choice had been made for her. Acting on it would be worse...hhhmm, that moment every mother knows must come , if she really Loves her child when it grows up.
pg4 TLD
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Savor Dam wrote:The sun isn’t going to rise…and as the company soon notices, the stars are going out. The immensity of this hits everyone hard, especially the Giants. As a seafaring race, the loss of the stars has a very practical impact: on the trackless seas, the stars are essential to navigation.

This is a very good point, Savor Dam, and echoes Foamfollower's words to Covenant in LFB chapter 11.
And there they remain, stars to guide the sojourners of our nights, until the Creator can rid his universe of his Enemy, and find a way to bring his children home.
This certainly makes it easier for the Giants to go along with Jeremiah's plan to save the Elohim, with this mysterious connection to the stars that Infelice's people possess.

Lurch, I fear you will need to spoiler-tag the words between "put to her by Wildwood" and "So the Connectivity of the Grass stains and Malachite is...", because those words refer to events that happen after this chapter under discussion. :3M:
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

..mmm..its assumed that any one in the Dissect has read the book at least once,,,But...

Consider what the author has done here..please. Hes really messing with the Time and not just with the characters,,But With Us...The Grass Stains are woven in, out, back, forth ,all around the Last Chrons. And one little comment by the Story Teller connects it all..connects the Grass Stains to Malachite and thus to all Time...Now here is the Mind Doodle...I've read the book so the events have already happened..
Also...going forward from this point, it helps to know these connections because they may explain or help the perception of some other off hand remarks or comments. Everything loops back.

There are hints of the subjectivity of Time in chapter 1,,but chapter 2 gets down to some serious play. The dream of Linden, the connectivity of Grass Stains to Malachite and of course, the Dark,,the lack of Sun Rise. That break in the Law of Time ,,we have to deal with as well as the characters. The prevailing cast of a Dark,,a Unknown..is Great Metaphor.

...or...stop fearing...
pg4 TLD
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

danlo wrote:Basically we (each chapter's dissectors) are concentrating on the particular chapter at hand as if we and you (the viewer, and or contributor) are reading it for the first time, so it's very important not to spoil ahead. If you feel the need to show how an event in the chapter leads to a point in a future chapter please put a spoiler tag on it. Some people do read the books as the dissections go along. Thank you.
This is from the Sticky "How the Dissection Works" found in this sub-forum. I assume repliers as well as dissectors are included in this, lurch, for either could potentially give away spoiler details in a chapter discussion.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

lurch wrote:The author ends the chapter on a excellent evocation of whip saw of emotions " She knew now that he needed her- and that she was going to abandon him anyway. The choice had been made for her. Acting on it would be worse...hhhmm, that moment every mother knows must come , if she really Loves her child when it grows up.
Yes, and even if |L knows that Jer's eagerness is a kind of flight from his issues, she must go along with this because he and the rest of her company are answering an immediate need of the Land's world: to save the stars by saving their associated Elohim. How can she possibly veto this idea?
"Their restiveness is answered," said the Manethrall. His tone was grim, but softer and more respectful, moderated by devotion. 'Their uncertainty was ours. We have now determined our need. Thus their path is made plain.

"Mount," he urged Linden and Stave. Jeremiah was already running toward Khelen, unable to contain his eagerness. "Ride and hasten. The Ranyhyn have announced their will. Did they not discover bone when bone was needed? They will do as much for malachite. But we must not delay, lest the last Elohim be consumed ere we are able to attempt their preservation."
What else can she do except go along with this? At this point, she clearly has no better idea. And when the Ranyhyn make it clear they know a way to make a plan work, how can she pass on trying it?
lurch wrote:There are morals, even tho the Elohim have tried to harm Linden and see Jerry as an abomination, Linden shouldn't turn away from a rescue of them...Some New Testament Love there I suppose.
"New Testament Love" puts it nearly about right. She isn't saying a prayer for her Elohim enemies, but by going along with this she's sure giving them a prayer of a chance.
lurch wrote:But With Us...The Grass Stains are woven in, out, back, forth ,all around the Last Chrons.
It does seem like those stains are mentioned repeatedly since Doc Avery first picked them up at the Verge of Wandering (and eager to get on with the plot, I'd usually dismiss these descriptive moments by thinking, "Is she still letting details like that bother her?"). And, as you say, the tie-in sentence between the grass stains and the malachite is found within this chapter.

Are you saying that the grass stains are some sort of passport that allowed her to travel through time via caesure? Is she the only one of her Fall-hopping company to need that marking pattern because she's a resident alien? :?
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lurch »

Its understood what the guidelines are, yet, to grasp the importance of what is said in chapter 2, one has to relate forward and backward. To put spoiler tag on a comment..why not put a spoiler tag on all the dissect posts..?? Some one may not have read the book..books, yet.
I suppose its just the freedom I speak for. Having to worry about spoiling in the Dissect seems an unnecessary weight. But thanks for the heads up on my impending doom.

I had not seen the stains as a passport. I see the stains as a Hope,, perhaps a clinging desperate ,,reminder,,another form of the question put to Linden by Wildwood. ...that beauty should not pass. The stains are, The Land leaving its beauty on her as a reminder...Its a mystery in metaphor that transpires across all of the LC just as Linden's quest for an answer to Wildwood's question does....Fantastic it is,,thats its tied, connected to...the New Testament Love of giving the Elohim a prayer of a chance.

By being ..non linear.." woven in ,out, up, down,etc" the arc of the Grass Stains in the LC's make Us think and perceive in a non linear fashion. What she has to do in the future , that is ,go back in time , suffer her self inflicted indignities, come forward with a quest in her heart and mind, find an answer and go back in time to resolve the question so the future can be saved,,,phew..Maintaining a linear, logical, cause and effect perspective on the story telling goes by the wayside as the author suggests with the ,," break of the Law of Time" like comments thru-out the LC.

Its that same break from the linear, and logical cause and effect thinking that Coldspray uses to warm Linden to Jerry's idea. And its the Ranyhyn( metaphors for Instinct, not logic) that make the choice for Linden on what she has to do. Saving the Elohim,,going forward with Jerry and going forward in her quest for self Identity..are all connected to the first understandings of Love,,and the Dark Unknown of the Mystery that Love is,,is what Linden explores for the rest of the book..The Last Dark...imho.
pg4 TLD
Dondarion
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dondarion »

With this chapter, our compnay begins the final quest toward their purposes. Jerry knows what he has to be doing for the Elohim. Linden knows she must leave soon, and Mahrtir will understand that his purpose is interwoven with Linden's. The stains and the malachite have a connected purpose. And it's almost as if the Ranyhyn need to realize their companions are set on a purpose, and then they can move in tandem with that. These purposes were always building under the surface, until finally made manifest by events and experiences. Linden had been asked the great riddle by Caer Wildwood, and probably never knew what that all meant until her experiences led her to this moment. The Elohim had always feared Anele, and by extension Jerry, knowing what Jerry was capable of, and this is now made clear to Jerry (and to us) by Infelice. I am sure I never knew what all the fuss was about the mystery grass stains on Linden's jeans. But after seeing the veins in the stones in The Lost Deep, and now the coming quest for malachite, the whole point of these stains is becoming more clear (although I never liked the whole jeans and grass stains thing. I find it all a bit hard to get my brain around). Anyway, since TLD is about grand purposes finally revealed and realized, I think we are getting a nice kick start in this chapter.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Dondarion wrote: Anyway, since TLD is about grand purposes finally revealed and realized, I think we are getting a nice kick start in this chapter.
Strongly agree.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Malachite
Malachite personifies the deep healing green of nature and represents the innate beauty of flowers, trees, roots and plants. It manifests a deep Devic green which rules the material plane. It is a Stone of Transformation, assisting one in changing situations and providing for spiritual growth. It heals on physical and emotional levels, drawing out impurities and stimulating the Life Force throughout the aura and body.
Thus endeth the "science" lesson.

------------

This chapter certainly seems to be a connecting chapter, where one set piece wraps up, and another one is launched. Still, it has some good moments. Thanks, SD, for getting us started.
In [i]The Last Dark[/i] was wrote:How much time had passed? An hour since sunset? Surely no more than two? Nonetheless the star-strewn dark seemed complete, as if it were the last night of the world.
This is a good line. Not only is it ominous, but it has a delicious Donaldson anti-simile, where he presents the truth as if it were only a metaphor. I always enjoy these gems when I read them.
Savor Dam wrote:The Giants are, of course, delighted that the Chosen, her son, and the Haruchai are back, even more so that Jeremiah is restored.
What was kind of interesting was that this was a reunion that was like meeting for the first time as well. The Giants are meeting someone whom they have cared for anew, while Jeremiah is meeting old friends whom he has never spoken to before. There's joy, tinged with a touch of past pain. Very moving.

There are also lots of passages about Linden's motherhood, and Jeremiah growing out of childhood, and the intersection of these two. This, to me, reinforces what I think must be a central theme - Linden creating a family.

Jeremiah has so little time to grow up!
Cord Hurn wrote:Another favorite moment is when Stave answers Linden's question as to why the Elohim left a pile of quellvisk bones for use by Jeremiah when they deeply fear Jeremiah himself, and could have discovered he would use the bones when they time-travel. Though Staves directly sidesteps Linden's question as to why the Elohim chose the Lower Land, a place within Jeremiah's reach, to place the bones, he still manages to effectively answer it in a more general way, and all other queries she has at that instant.
Ah, but it's not beyond Donaldson for Stave to have the wrong answer. What bothers me is that, if the Elohim did not forsee Jeremiah ... then the bones could only be a happy accident. I suspect that there is a better answer. One more akin to Findail healing Vain despite despising his purpose. The Elohim are covering all their bases. They don't want Jeremiah to entrap them ... but they also fear the impossibility of Jeremiah regaining himself, as well.
In [i]The Last Dark[/i] was wrote:Still she wanted to see the sun. With her Staff, she was capable of much. At need, the ready wood would answer her call with fire and heat and even healing. But she could no longer summon illumination. Jeremiah might be able to do so, if his mastery of his new magicks continued to grow. Covenant’s ring would cast silver and peril in all directions if she forced herself to use it. But the stark ebony of her own access to Earthpower and Law precluded light.
This passage stood out for me, because of how naturally one can see the metaphor of physical illumination as knowledge or insight. What that is telling us, on the other hand, is anyone's guess. Linden needs ideas, that is clear. Perhaps Covenant and Jeremiah have them. So she should follow them?
In [i]The Last Dark[/i] was wrote:The sun was not going to rise because it could not. Forces beyond Linden’s comprehension held the Land in a gloom like the onset of the last dark.
And there is our titular passage. With another anti-simile like an imprimatur.

But the sun ... illuminates. How much more ominous is the last dark in light of the previous passage I quoted. It's as if the Land is out of ideas as well.
In [i]The Last Dark[/i] was wrote:“So of course she thinks I’ll make a door they can’t get out of. She thinks I’ll trap the Elohim forever.”

“But she doesn’t know me, Mom.” Jeremiah sounded almost smug. “She doesn’t know what I’ve been learning all these years."
So much of the machinations of the Elohim, Lord Foul ... even the Viles and the Insequent ... fail in the end because they don't know them. They always underestimate our favorite folks from beyond time. Who can really understand someone from another world? Which is, of course, why they are needed.

And they are underestimated because the real world provides something special. How could it not? The Land and what's in it are ideal, but there is also power in being less than ideal. In being real - real as in imperfect, a bit battered, a little dirty, having seen some miles.
In [i]The Last Dark[/i] was wrote:“I’m not crazy like the Harrow. I know I can’t build anything big or strong enough to hold the Worm.
So much for the Harrow's plan. It would never have worked. How fortuitous that this path was not travelled.
In [i]The Last Dark[/i] was wrote:But if they succeeded in any fashion, they would not do so together. Eventually she would have to face her fears. And she would have to face them alone.
What? What is this? What does Linden see coming? Throughout the Last Chronicles, we always get hints that Linden has a plan long before we see it's fruition. Here's another one.

Why does she need to be alone? And how does she know? The hint we have surely is "if they succeeded" - that is, if they stop the Worm.

Return to “Last Chronicles”