How do you feel today? v. 3.0

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Sorry to hear about your friend, lorin. :hug:

That was a bit difficult to read, as my sister is Sue-Ellen, and she's convinced her doctors and the government that she's disabled at 52. I'm convinced if she weaned herself from the 30 or so daily prescriptions she's on, that her quality of life would improve tremendously. But, she trusts her pill pushing physicians...
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Julie is at school until Friday. so Sonny and I are spending quality time together.

he is doing better with his diet of boiled chicken and rice.

no call yet for the job change....
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Menolly wrote:Sorry to hear about your friend, lorin. :hug:

That was a bit difficult to read, as my sister is Sue-Ellen, and she's convinced her doctors and the government that she's disabled at 52. I'm convinced if she weaned herself from the 30 or so daily prescriptions she's on, that her quality of life would improve tremendously. But, she trusts her pill pushing physicians...
I'm sure you are tied into the name but probably the situations are vastly different. Sue Ellen (my friend) took very little medication once she was in hospice. But she lingered in hospice for 3 years when they were giving her six months. Until the last few months she rarely took pain meds. It probably had to do with the location of the cancer in her brain. And the terrible thing was her hospice expired before she did. She had to pay for her own home attendants.

Anyway, your Sue Ellen is more like me. Caught in medication madness. But I am off of most everything now. Except vitamins and bennadryl to sleep. And I am considered by the government to be disabled now. It is very humiliating to accept a check from anyone. I could get my spine fused but am chickenshit. Truth is I think I am just burned out. I will probably go back to work in a year or so because this is waaaaay too demoralizing.

My point is, be patient with your sister. What you see is not always what is going on.
The loudest truth I ever heard was the softest sound.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Sorry to hear about your friend, Lorin. :hug:

A friend here at work has been going through some tough times. Her husband collapsed at home with what they initially thought was food poisoning. Turned out it was acute leukemia. Now he's going through chemo, and she's pulling OT to help pay the medical bills as well as taking over all the chores at home. The docs have given him 6 months -- which clearly means nothing in this day and age, but still.

I told her to let me know if there was anything I could do to help. But she's like me -- "Thanks but no, I can handle it myself." :roll:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

my unit just called. I have a board (interview) at my old unit. tomorrow at 10 am. :)
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Whoo hoo, Sarge! :S Good luck!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

aliantha wrote:Whoo hoo, Sarge! :S Good luck!
thank you. I'll know sometime between a week and two...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Happy to have just arranged to get my own copies of Pern through Skies. SD already has A Gift of Dragons, so this will be my own collection of the series through all the books Anne wrote on her own, without Todd. :biggrin:
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Good luck Sarge, hope you get the job.

I'm going to be working at H.M.P.Grampian for a few months - which is in my home town of Peterhead, about 170 miles north of Glasgow.
It's a brand new prison, and they were looking for managers to help out in the first few months.
Went for an orientation visit yesterday, and it looks pretty good - a far cry from the Victorian buildings I currently work in.

Downside is I'll be away for 2 weeks at a time, with only a weekend at home. Upside is, I'll make some extra money from the working away allowance, and it'll look good on my CV when I apply for promotion.
I'll also get to catch up with the family members who still live there.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Phantasm - great news! is it possible for me to get a patch from your new unit? the last one you sent is on display here in my office.

no word about the job yet. but have been informed my current unit will be getting a brand new kitchen at some point in the near future.

almost makes me want to stay. but the inbetween building time will be a nightmare.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

So many passwords.

Today I remembered to reset the passwords on my google accounts, and one my mobile phone account. Plenty more I'll think of soon enough, I bet. Already did my bank accounts, facebook, paypal, and lots of others.

Only password I'll not be changing is my Blizzard one, because it was unique and uncompromised.
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

Burnt my hand with molten glass today. :cry: youch! Now I'm going to have a 2" scar on my perfect flawless youthful skin. :P I guess that's the end of my modeling career.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper

Post by Menolly »

Ouch, lorin!
I hope the burn heals soon.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yikes, lorin! :(

EZ Board Survivor

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

Ouch, Lorin. :(

Also, I think I just spent 5 minutes watching that hamster.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

thanks, all. I have a feeling it won't be my last burn. I have to get some good fire proof clothes, gloves and face shield. I am uncomfortable opening that kiln in full cycle. 1700 degrees is a scary place. You can only wear cotton clothes because the others ignite.8O
Sorus wrote:I think I just spent 5 minutes watching that hamster.
nom nom nom........I loved that gif.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

Post by Savor Dam »

I am also a fan of the hamster with the broccoli floret. His obvious joy brings to mind what Paul Simon said of hamsters in At The Zoo. :S

lorin: Ouch! 8O Be careful!
Love prevails.
~ Tracie Mckinney-Hammon

Change is not a process for the impatient.
~ Barbara Reinhold

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul.
~ George Bernard Shaw
Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

lorin wrote:Burnt my hand with molten glass today. :cry: youch! Now I'm going to have a 2" scar on my perfect flawless youthful skin. :P I guess that's the end of my modeling career.
Yes, Ouch! Take care of that burn. Love the hampster.

SD, that's not broccoli it's calabrese. Broccoli (purple sprouting for preference) has more leggy branches and is delicious. We grow it in the vegetable patch. :twisted:

I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

sgt.null wrote:Phantasm - great news! is it possible for me to get a patch from your new unit? the last one you sent is on display here in my office.

no word about the job yet. but have been informed my current unit will be getting a brand new kitchen at some point in the near future.

almost makes me want to stay. but the inbetween building time will be a nightmare.
Sarge, we are a National service, so it doesn't matter which prison you work in, the insignia are all the same.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

thanks Phantasm. I wish we had unit patches. then I could collect the whole set. :)
it would at least be something to remember the two units I worked at the couple I have visited.

nothing about the Ramsey job yet.

Julie and I get three days off together this week.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “General Discussion Forum”