ELOHIMFEST June 21st 2014 the official thread

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Sorus
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Sorus »

I have only a vague idea of what most of their songs are about, and that only thanks to Google, but I could happily listen to their lead singer read a phone book, especially the Rrrrrrr section. Love that accent.

Thanks for sharing pics, everyone. You all look great.

Oh, a change is coming, feel these doors now closing
Is there no world for tomorrow, if we wait for today?

aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

So I wrote a blog post about E-fest and the Watch. LZ, I "borrowed" your pic of me asking SRD my question -- hope that's okay. :)

hearth-myth.blogspot.com/2014/06/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation.html

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Excellent blog post, ali!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Thanks! :)

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

rdhopeca
The Master

Post by rdhopeca »

I have added a blog post of my own...and thanks Z for the pics!

rdhope.wordpress.com/2014/06/29/on-meeting-your-muse-2014-elohim-fest-and-the-blessings-of-the-watch/
Rob

"Progress is made. Be warned."
lorin
The Gap Into Spam

Post by lorin »

hi from the road. As Uss just said, we have been extending our fest for a while. It's been amazing. On Friday we went up to Mesa Verde. Really interesting and lots of fun, despite the fact that my personal mental gps has gone completely to hell and I sent Mike up and down the canyon four times by mistake (45 minutes each way) 8O. He was very kind about it.

On Saturday we drove to Denver through some passes and switchbacks over the rockies that bout gave me a heart attack. We stayed with Cag and his wonderful family overnight and I can finally say I actually had a conversation with him.

On Sunday we drove over the Continental Divide through Independence Pass. I think this was my best day so far. Slow careful driving, amazing views of lakes and creeks, towering mountains and SNOW!!!

We spent the night in Glenwood Spring. Cute town. Today we head to St. George, Utah to visit the North Rim of the canyon, then who knows..............

Here are some pics. I haven't figured out this camera yet so the pics are all different sizes.

This is the Canyon Palace (or something like that) in Mesa Verde. It is pretty large and built into a cave in the canyon walls. They said it was about 600AD. My first discovery is my vertigo is still around and it pretty well freaked me out getting in and out of there. You have to climb many stairs and many ladders. My lungs did not like the thin air and it was a strain, but well worth it. Image

better view Image

a view from the top of Mesa Verde

another view on the way down

and another

over the mountains

and through the woods to Cag's house

fantastic lake on the way to Independence Pass

Continental Divide / Independence Pass from a distance

on our way upppppp

and up........

where we were headed

and up........notice snow

above the tree line 12000 feet up.

ice lakes on the top of the divide

snowball fight about to break out

on the way down. Lovely streams and creeks.

the rapid depressurization from the altitude bothered both of us and we had to stop and rest. Thin air.

Anyway thats it for now. Today is a driving day to Utah.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Great pics Lorin! The pic of Irish Mike makes me realize that all of the progress that I made in teaching him Southern English has been undermined by you with your New York accent. The lad showed such promise, too. Makes me sad. ;)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

And people still ask me why I want to move back to Colorado. Sigh....

EZ Board Survivor

Iolanthe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Iolanthe »

I am soooooooooooooo envious. Perhaps next time?
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Beautiful journey and pics, lorin!
:thumbsup:
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

summer snow used to be here too when I moved here. no longer.
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I saw enough snow last winter. ;).

I'll try to get some pics up this evening. That is if there isn't a storm like the one that came through last night. :crazy:
Lord Zombiac
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Lord Zombiac »

I will be quoting wayfriend in a promotional video for my online streaming radio station. it was a very astute observation! "Coz: Very few people chase their dreams as hard as you. Rock on."
httpsss://www.barbarianclan.com
"everything that passes unattempted is impossible"-- Lord Mhoram, the Illearth War.
ussusimiel
The Gap Into Spam
Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland

Post by ussusimiel »

We basically drove across Utah today. Wow!

My favourite was San Rafael Swell near Green River and then in a little town called Circleville (man, was it quiet!) we drove through a large dairy cow ranch (3200 cows). I enjoyed being off the beaten track and getting a sense of local life.

We lost brownie points for not visiting Bryce Canyon, but we got lots of kudos from the owner of a motel/cafe in Circleville when we said that we were going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It must have shown that we were serious tourists :lol:

u.
Tho' all the maps of blood and flesh
Are posted on the door,
There's no one who has told us yet
What Boogie Street is for.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I took a call last night from Jenn while a thunderstorm crashed down around me. I talked to her, Danlo, Lady Tam, and Grace. Now, I am bummed. It reminded me of the great time I had out there last week with everyone.
Frostheart Grueburn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Frostheart Grueburn »

Now for some proper thank-yous…

It was a pleasure meeting everyone; thanks to danlo/Tam for the great hospitality, delicious food, and cozy atmosphere; also grateful to everyone who had seat for a sod unable to drive.

Thanks to lorin/ali for arranging the wonderful Santa Fe tour; wish I could’ve tagged along longer. Let me know how much I owe for gas, foods, and books, I’ll make some Paypal transfers. Mom loved the glass earrings!

Still chuckling to my new nickames “Little Giant” (for extravagant overcompensation) and “Softy” (For frequent photographing of flowers and wearing a pink nightgown...the stern warrior avatar forever ruined. Ussusssussussimiel shall be subjected to a revenge of some kin for this…:twisted:).

Everyone else, thanks for the interesting discussions, humor, anything that made this trip unforgettable! :-D

Re: snowballs: Upon my return, I was informed that it had hailed and rained sleet over here while I sweated in NW.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Damelon wrote:I took a call last night from Jenn while a thunderstorm crashed down around me. I talked to her, Danlo, Lady Tam, and Grace. Now, I am bummed. It reminded me of the great time I had out there last week with everyone.
oddly enough Julie accidently dialed Jenn last night and they talked for a moment.

worksucks. I even took a sick day last night.

I'd rather hang with you guys.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Ditto, Sarge. Yesterday, my first day back at work after E-fest, I put in for this coming Monday off. :(

EZ Board Survivor

bungleman
Servant of the Land

Post by bungleman »

sgt.null wrote:Jeff & Allison - a delight meeting you two. Jeff' get on the board!
I shall do my best. It was good meeting you as well!

On a side note, what's the Facebook page called? My search for Kevin's Watch humorously turned up "Kevin Watch Us" (which is apparently a Chinese watch vendor) and "Kevin Swatch" (a person with an unfortunate name).
"Do something they don't expect."
Ananda
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ananda »

Frostheart wrote: Still chuckling to my new nickames “Little Giant” (for extravagant overcompensation) and “Softy” (For frequent photographing of flowers and wearing a pink nightgown...the stern warrior avatar forever ruined. Ussusssussussimiel shall be subjected to a revenge of some kin for this…:twisted:).
Ussusimiel named you for your pink nightgown? He must have had a busy weekend! 8O :twisted:

Did you show them how to celebrate midsommar?
Monsters, they eat
Your kind of meat
And they're moving as far as they can
And as fast as they can

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”